A small set backmade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A small set backmade

This is why I try not to get ahead of myself.

Set up my .22-250 seating die and made up a dummy round to get the COL right. Proceeded to load the powder measure and get ready to run it for calibration. While I was at it I'd set up the beam scale and looked up instructions online just to be sure I had it right when I realized the middle poise was missing. Oops. I hadn't tried using it before and didn't think much could go wrong with them if they were cared for. I'd planned on double checking it with a cheap electronic I also have but without a calibration weight I'm not going to trust just the electronic unit so I'm on hold.

Probably for the best, I've emailed the manufacturer about my options. I'm thinking of getting another good scale for primary use and keeping the old one for backup. My guess is it will need to be sent in for calibration which I'll do if the cost isn't ridiculous. I'll also be picking up calibration weights. I should have checked this thing out a long time ago, just didn't have a need for it previously. Could have been worse, at least I didn't throw incorrect charges.

Lesson learned; Check your stuff ahead of time and know how it works. Good rule in general.

Glad I haven't been rushing this.

When reloading starting off right is so important. Sweating the small stuff is important in this case. Even one screw up is too many and since you're loading for son and daughter the extra extra caution is well warranted. Hope they are shadowing you, maybe down the road they may catch a mistake. Stay safe

Comment

image_2527.jpg Is that a triple beam ? What make and model ?
      What powder are you planning for the 22-250 ? Bullet ? I have tried them all, almost, and the most velocity and most accurate bullet in my Remington 700 heavy barrel is IMR 4320 and 52grSierra HPBTMatch. I shoot groundhogs with a guy that has a tricked out 6mm and I need max performance to keep up with his shots. The pic is my 100yd target.
      Last edited by jhjimbo; 01-24-2021, 07:24 PM.

Comment

My main scale is an antique O'Haus "Dial-a-Grain".
        Over the years, I've picked up 2 small RCBS scales and a Redding "Powder and Bullet" scale with oil dampener.

Comment

823327D4-B49A-4D9E-AC24-2A8FC9478A79.jpeg

It’s an Ohaus 5•0•5 FB, they make the same thing for RCBS. Found it in a cellar cabinet at my Aunt’s about 15 years ago when I was cleaning out some stuff after her mom passed away. It was probably used by her brother or stepfather in the 70’s-80’s. It was stored in a cork booze box with a sliding lid. Still keep it in the box. I never noticed the gizmo was missing since I’d only tried balancing it but never weighed anything.

Hoping to get a return email tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            image_2527.jpg Is that a triple beam ? What make and model ?
            What powder are you planning for the 22-250 ? Bullet ? I have tried them all, almost, and the most velocity and most accurate bullet in my Remington 700 heavy barrel is IMR 4320 and 52grSierra HPBTMatch. I shoot groundhogs with a guy that has a tricked out 6mm and I need max performance to keep up with his shots. The pic is my 100yd target.
            Jim,

I have both 50gr Nosler Ballistic tips and 52gr Nosler Custom Competition bullets. They use the same load data, I’m going by Nosler #8. Using that chart I have IMR 4064 and Ramshot Big Game I can run, but since I have 8#s of BG I’m starting with that. Supposed to be good stuff in the .22-250.

Plan is to work up with the CC target bullets from the starting load of 36.5gr to the middle at 38.5gr. Max is 40.5gr but I’m not planning on pushing them that hard. If results are good I’ll work a couple up with BT’s and see how they do. If they do similar I’ll load more BT’s up for hunting coyotes and woodchucks and use the CC’s for practice. I have 50 BT’s and 250 CC’s on hand.

If for some reason the Big Game powder doesn’t work well I’ll try the 4064. I have spread sheets made up with other powder options but would rather stick with straight book loads for now, rather than trying to cross reference for other powders.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              823327D4-B49A-4D9E-AC24-2A8FC9478A79.jpeg

It’s an Ohaus 5•0•5 FB, they make the same thing for RCBS. Found it in a cellar cabinet at my Aunt’s about 15 years ago when I was cleaning out some stuff after her mom passed away. It was probably used by her brother or stepfather in the 70’s-80’s. It was stored in a cork booze box with a sliding lid. Still keep it in the box. I never noticed the gizmo was missing since I’d only tried balancing it but never weighed anything.

Hoping to get a return email tomorrow.
              I think I got mine in the '70's. The analytical I got at a flea market and it weighs to .oo1gr. The automatic is a Lyman and I really like it. Accurate and fast. IMG_0673.JPG IMG_0674.JPG IMG_0676.JPG

Comment

What loads you looking at in the 7mm-08? Back in the day when I reloaded it was I believe 42 grains Varget with 140 gr Partitions. Might have been 41gr it's been awhile. I think if you use Big Game you could do 47 gr. because I was thinking Big Game and 4350 burn close to the same. But PLEASE don't take my thoughts as suggestion, it is merely me thinking out loud. Stay safe
                Last edited by dewman; 01-24-2021, 11:24 PM.

Comment

My old scales are indeed the O'Haus 5•0•5 model.
                  From your photo, it appears the 1 grain poise is missing. Am I correct?

Comment

I bought the Big Game specifically for the 7-08 as I’ve read very good things online about it.

I’ll start out with some 139gr Hornady Interlocks since they were relatively cheap and would kill deer just fine.

Western Powders charts online show a starting load of 43.2gr up to 48gr. for that bullet.

Nosler has a starting charge of 43.5gr to 47.5 with their 140’s.

Those numbers are very close, From my spread sheets I decided to start at 43.5 and work up to 46.0 with the Hornady and if I got good results do the same with some 140gr Partitions. That’s just under your number so I might even be able to run a little faster. 👍

A 140 partition at about 2800fps ought to be good for most anything with hooves.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                      My old scales are indeed the O'Haus 5•0•5 model.
                      From your photo, it appears the 1 grain poise is missing. Am I correct?
                      Yep, that’s it.

I doubt you can just throw one on and be dialed in but who knows. I’m not even sure how easily they come off, I haven’t messed around with the 10gr poise to see if I can remove it.

Stuff that came up online seems to indicate Ohaus is on the ball about repairs so that’s encouraging.

Comment

I dunno about the poise coming off?
                        I'll look at one of mine!
                        Hmmm?

Weird! LOL!

The 1-grain poise on my scale is a piece of folded metal(?).
                        20210125_092749.jpg
                        I'm sure it can be replaced, it would jwoulthe time to study the thing. Probably from the pan end.
                        Last edited by FirstBubba; 01-25-2021, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I have no darn idea what you guys are talking about, but it is rather fun trying to put it all together.......!

Comment

BAA9AA9E-099A-4DC6-B919-2B5412D7FD31.png
                            Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                            I have no darn idea what you guys are talking about, but it is rather fun trying to put it all together.......!

I had no clue the little weights you moved on a beam scale were called a “poise” either Rich, but it did click with me soon after where the origins of the word “poised” came from.

I’m poised to get a new scale since the poise on the old one is missing.

LOL!

Last edited by fitch270; 01-25-2021, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Ammo/guns: the other side of the coin
                              by dewman
                              All of you know my latest 7mm-08. Well, I had a fella today at the little gun store I loiter at offer me $1,000 for it and the scope. Offered $40 a box...
                              03-02-2021, 09:36 PM
                            • Ammunition vs. components.
                              by Red Angus
                              Throughout the course of my daily duties, questions occasionally form in my mind as I contemplate various matters and this question seemed to be a likely...
                              03-02-2021, 11:03 AM
                            • Deer population
                              by Red Angus
                              Over evening last weekend, Feb. 20-21, my wife and I counted 55 deer in the 2-1/2 miles before we got home. Groups ranged in size from 5 to 25. Such numbers...
                              03-01-2021, 05:53 PM
                            • Nice find poochie!
                              by FirstBubba
                              The kid's pup headed to the backyard after breakfast.
                              THIS is what she found.

No longer viable due to traumatic head injuri...
                              02-28-2021, 11:32 AM
                            • 6.8 Western
                              by jhjimbo
                              Really ? I just took a quick glance at the 6.8 and on paper it sure looks like my Remington 7mmMag. Not a whiskers difference. I have heard some complain...
                              02-24-2021, 07:37 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X