No announcement yet.

I've finally gotten started reloading.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've finally gotten started reloading.

This evening I got my reloading equipment lined out and loaded 20 rounds of 30-06 using Hornady brass, CCI primers, Staball 6.5 powder, and Sierra bullets. I did 10 each of 165gr & 180 gamekings over the minimum recommended powder charge, 55.4 and 52.6 grains respectively.
    I hope to put them on paper tomorrow, but we shall see. Either way, I can post results here if y'all want.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Well done, I'm almost there myself. Meantime I'll continue to prep brass until the weather forecast looks better. I plan to work up loads from minimum for 4 different chamberings to start so I want to have plenty of time and good conditions to shoot as well as possible. Looks like I may have to wait until March at this point.

What are you looking to get out of your loads performance wise? Definitely post up targets, I'm interested.

Comment

I'd like to follow your progress also so yes, please post.

Comment

Good start! I've never used that powder so am curious to see how well it does for you.

I've got a couple of hand loading projects to start soon. The first will be to finish getting a more accurate 150gr load for my Rem 7400 in .30-06 and all cases are prepped and primed. Back in the summer the Hornady SST had some promise but the Nosler B-tips were not doing well. Next to try is the Hornady Interlock.

The second project is to load for the Handi-Rifle in .45-70, again all cases are prepped and primed. I've ordered some 300gr Barnes.

I've settled on Barnes 150gr TSX for my .308 so those bullets are no longer in the running for the 7400.

Comment

Red, IF those are max loads listed, you should really back off 10% for your test loads and work up in 1gr increments. Not every rifle can handle max charges. Examine primers you fire for excess pressure and if there is a tight bolt to open you have too much pressure. Let us know how you do - target pictures. Good Luck.

Comment

I'm always up for some "restuffing burrets" talk! 😀!
            ...as long as it doesn't get too technical!

I'm kinda straight forward with my reloading.
            Deprime brass
            Clean brass
            Reprime brass
            Select powder charge and bullet
            Reload

Though recently I did have a minor setback with some 6.8mm reloads.
            A friend was shooting my AR. The gun cycled fine, but would not fire the next round.
            We dropped the mag, cycled the BCG, dropping the round into the chamber then releasing the BCG.
            Reseated the mag.
            Rifle fired and cycled perfectly, but again, would not fire the next round.
            Same routin, but when we cycled the BCG and ejected the round, I could see something on the bullet right at the case mouth.
            WT...?
            It was two very fine rings of brass around the bullet.
            We put the reloads up and loaded up with some factory ammo.
            No more "fail-to-fire".
            I'm not big on case trimming, but I suppose with my AR's, I better set up the case trimmer for my AR's anyway.
            First, I've got to shoot up all my reloads! 😉!

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              Red, IF those are max loads listed, you should really back off 10% for your test loads and work up in 1gr increments. Not every rifle can handle max charges. Examine primers you fire for excess pressure and if there is a tight bolt to open you have too much pressure. Let us know how you do - target pictures. Good Luck.
              I used the minimum powder charge listed in the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post

I used the minimum powder charge listed in the manual.
                Great. Now you can increase 1gr at a time until you get within a couple grains of max, then increase .5agr at a time. Keep them in order in a ammo box. I load 2 of each weight. Examine primer for pressure and you can also measure the case just ahead of the web. Any increase more than .002" diameter of case is max pressure.
                I wrote to Fitch on here how to check brass for thinning. Brass flows forward a little with each firing. That is why eventually to keep under max headspace you have to trim. So eventually it gets thin just ahead of the web. The way to check is make a wire 'feeler'. Take a section of thin, stiff wire and file a sharp point on one end. Bend the sharp end 90deg so it will fit in the case mouth. Now with the wire point against the inside of the case just above the web move the wire up and down. If the brass is thin you will feel it. Usually you get from 6 to 15 reloads from a case - depending on how hot they are.
                Here you can see a workup with the weights on the masking tap on the ammo box. The table is how I select a powder/starting wt., etc. I use several manuals to figure it out. Boat, reloads 010.JPG

Comment

Red, here is a box of increasing loads. As you can see the max is where the primer flattened. That is over max. I back off 1gr or until the primer is not showing flattening. Shooting over max will eventually damage your firearm.

IMG_2402.JPG

Comment

Red, here is another pic. that shows better how I set up checking for max. load. IMG_2403.JPG

Comment

The Barnes 300gr TSX got here today, qty 100, for $125 including shipping from Midway USA. So, I'll soon start doing some load development with H4198. Will probably try 6 rounds each of 50.0gr, 51.0gr, and 52.0gr and shoot three shot groups for accuracy. The winning load will be used for the other 82 bullets. That will just about use up a lb of powder.

A friend of mine called yesterday looking for ammo. He's ordered a Henry in .45-70 and can't find anything to feed it. So, he's buying a box of 20 factory loaded Hornady 325gr FTX from me for $50. That ammo is like gold these days. The going rate on Gunbroker is $3 per round.

Here's the load data from the Barnes site:

Barnes 30630.JPG

20210119_150540.jpg
                      Last edited by PigHunter; 01-19-2021, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I did make it out Sunday afternoon and got the loads on paper. Due to to much going on I am just now taking time to post results.

The 180gr Gamekings grouped 2.7" out of the Win. model 70 and 3.4" out of the Rem. 760. The 165gr Gamekings did 1.1" out of the model 70 and 3.6" out of the 760. I do have pictures of the targets, but they are on my iphone and I'm using my wifes laptop for this post.

The next step is to bump up 1 grain for each load and see what happens. I may load some 180gr. Hornady Interlocks for testing in the next round of testing.

Sometime soon I am going to re-bed the model 70. I ordered the necessary supplies from Midway and they arrived last Friday. Also in the works is a new recoil pad it. The hard rubber "pad" that's on it is of no value whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
                          I did make it out Sunday afternoon and got the loads on paper. Due to to much going on I am just now taking time to post results.

The 180gr Gamekings grouped 2.7" out of the Win. model 70 and 3.4" out of the Rem. 760. The 165gr Gamekings did 1.1" out of the model 70 and 3.6" out of the 760. I do have pictures of the targets, but they are on my iphone and I'm using my wifes laptop for this post.

The next step is to bump up 1 grain for each load and see what happens. I may load some 180gr. Hornady Interlocks for testing in the next round of testing.

Sometime soon I am going to re-bed the model 70. I ordered the necessary supplies from Midway and they arrived last Friday. Also in the works is a new recoil pad it. The hard rubber "pad" that's on it is of no value whatsoever.
                          Interesting results. I would have expected similar results from either rifle. 1 gr increment is too much when you get close to max. Scroll down and you will see my worksheet for my 6.5X55 - how I went .5gr increments. The smaller the load the smaller the increments - some pistol loads are ..1 tenth gr increments. I like your loading block. Jim

Comment

So how do those groups compare to what the rifles do with factory stuff.

The 165's out of the M70 show some promise right out of the gate, that's why I ask.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                              The Barnes 300gr TSX got here today, qty 100, for $125 including shipping from Midway USA. So, I'll soon start doing some load development with H4198. Will probably try 6 rounds each of 50.0gr, 51.0gr, and 52.0gr and shoot three shot groups for accuracy. The winning load will be used for the other 82 bullets. That will just about use up a lb of powder.

A friend of mine called yesterday looking for ammo. He's ordered a Henry in .45-70 and can't find anything to feed it. So, he's buying a box of 20 factory loaded Hornady 325gr FTX from me for $50. That ammo is like gold these days. The going rate on Gunbroker is $3 per round.

Here's the load data from the Barnes site:

Barnes 30630.JPG

20210119_150540.jpg
                              I have some Hornady GMX's for the muzzeloaders that I haven't tried out yet. Usually monos preform better with velocity behind them so I'm interested in seeing how these big slugs do. If you get the chance to smack a pig with one of those TSX bullets be sure to give us the heads up.

I have two boxes of the Hornady 45/70 gummies, just checked and yep, paid $29.95 for them. I've got one box of empties as well as a box of Winchester brass. Guess I have another set of dies to keep an eye out for. I'm aware of the brass differences......

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 6.8 Western
                                by jhjimbo
                                Really ? I just took a quick glance at the 6.8 and on paper it sure looks like my Remington 7mmMag. Not a whiskers difference. I have heard some complain...
                                Yesterday, 07:37 PM
                              • Price gouging or free market?
                                by Red Angus
                                Rather than hijack Fitch's thread to discuss the topic I started a new one.

Bubba started his opinion that people are price gouging on primers....
                                Yesterday, 07:08 PM
                              • H&K P2000
                                by FirstBubba
                                Anybody have an H&K P2000?

I've got a bunch of LEO retired .40S&W, 12 round mags. About 30 to be exact.
                                Price negotiable. Contact...
                                02-23-2021, 10:28 PM
                              • Skull Mount
                                by FirstBubba
                                This is actually the last deer I killed.
                                I was in a blind down on Red River.
                                I could see the river out the left side of the blind.
                                Not...
                                02-22-2021, 09:37 PM
                              • The End is Near
                                by fitch270

Of winter, hopefully.

The Kid and I helped a friend run about 500ft of sap line through the woods this afternoon. This is the...
                                02-21-2021, 05:49 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X