Powder availability.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder availability.

I went by a nearby gun store last weekend to see what reloading supplies he had in stock. I'm fairly confident he had more powder in stock than all the online retailers combined. Some of the more popular powders were out of stock though.
    I wanted a jug of 4350, but settled on Superformance due to availability. $235/8lb jug seemed reasonable all things considered.

I've got some brass prepped, I just need to find time to start priming and measuring powder.

How is the supply doing in all y'all's areas?

Slim to nonexistant!
    Odd to me that the only powder I'm seeking is never on the shelf! LOL!
    The only thing in stock I have or don't use.

Comment

I haven't checked recently. Got enough powder and primers to last for a while.

Comment

With powder up around $30-$35/pound, I'm always looking for deals.
        Buying online often incurs shipping fees and "Haz-Mat" fees and that pushes it right back up to LGS prices!
        I do frequent a "M&P" that carry's a great deal of powders that are popular with AR and auto pistol reloaders. So THAT is a plus!
        But guess what?
        The most popular powder for my 6.8mm AR, "Accurate 2200", isn't stocked....but he WILL order it for me! So, that's a "good thang"! I just have to wait until he restocks his powder shelf.

Comment

It’s not looking good going forward. I keep checking several sites that I did well finding stuff for very reasonable prices recently but they continue to have less and less available. On the rare occasion something popular turns up I try to discreetly pass the word on to folks I think may be interested.

I’m glad I didn’t wait any longer to dive in, supplies were already getting tight but I still managed to put a pretty decent inventory together. Had help from several sources along the way that I greatly appreciate. Matter of fact probably close to half of what’s on the bench in both tools and components came to me gifted. Not only is it humbling but it’s making the process much more personal. I have peace of mind knowing we’re in good shape inventory wise thanks to some awesome individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
            I haven't checked recently. Got enough powder and primers to last for a while.
            Nice! I'd been considering reloading for several years, but didn't start acquiring the necessary equipment and components until last spring so I'm well behind the curve in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              With powder up around $30-$35/pound, I'm always looking for deals.
              Buying online often incurs shipping fees and "Haz-Mat" fees and that pushes it right back up to LGS prices!
              I do frequent a "M&P" that carry's a great deal of powders that are popular with AR and auto pistol reloaders. So THAT is a plus!
              But guess what?
              The most popular powder for my 6.8mm AR, "Accurate 2200", isn't stocked....but he WILL order it for me! So, that's a "good thang"! I just have to wait until he restocks his powder shelf.
              The gun store i was by last weekend is selling powder for $35/pound and up, except for the 8 pound jugs which start at $30/pound.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                It’s not looking good going forward. I keep checking several sites that I did well finding stuff for very reasonable prices recently but they continue to have less and less available. On the rare occasion something popular turns up I try to discreetly pass the word on to folks I think may be interested.

I’m glad I didn’t wait any longer to dive in, supplies were already getting tight but I still managed to put a pretty decent inventory together. Had help from several sources along the way that I greatly appreciate. Matter of fact probably close to half of what’s on the bench in both tools and components came to me gifted. Not only is it humbling but it’s making the process much more personal. I have peace of mind knowing we’re in good shape inventory wise thanks to some awesome individuals.
                I shopped sales and eBay for most of the equipment purchased. Bullets are the only components I bought on sale.
                I regret not buying a few thousand more primers than I did, but what I have should last quite a while unless I get to having to much fun making and shooting my own loads. Which some reloaders allow can happen... 🙃

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post

Nice! I'd been considering reloading for several years, but didn't start acquiring the necessary equipment and components until last spring so I'm well behind the curve in that regard.
                  My weakest link right now is the 6.5 Creedmoor since I have no bullets that diameter. Got plenty of ,30 caliber bullets though.

Comment

As a single, 70 year old shooter, $30/#8s a good deal, but 8 pounds of powder? I won't ever shoot that much.
                    Eight pound powder canisters are for you young bucks with less gray hair and more teeth! LOL!

7000 grains per pound.
                    8×7000=56000
                    Average 40 grains per round
                    56000÷40=1400 rounds

I won't ever shoot that much ammo, I don't think! 🤔!

I grew up hunting around my grampa. Gramps came through the "Great Depression". That man NEVER bought a box of .30-30 ammo. He bought 7 at a time. Those 7 lasted him 3 years. Unless you could kill, you DID NOT shoot.
                    My dad would buy a box of .30-30's, but not until he was down to 5 (a gun full) in the last box.
                    It perturbed him to no end when he found out I was burning up some of his spare ammo!
                    According to those two men, both of whom I admired greatly, considered me an "ammo waster" for shooting crows, coyotes or what ever else that couldn't be eaten! That's what a .22 was for! Rifle and shotgun ammo was prized.
                    I'm still an ammo waster, but the price of ammo and/or components these days really makes me squeeze my wallet.
                    Last edited by FirstBubba; 01-16-2021, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I'm not an ammo waster either, doing most of my practice with rimfire. But practice, checking zero, and load development with centerfire is not a waste in my opinion.

Comment

I worked in that sporting goods store for 3 years.
                        There weren't many days we (store staff & friends) didn't burn up several boxes of ammo or wear the paint off some fishing lures...or both!
                        Even after I left the store, I still did quite a bit of shooting until marriage, kids and bills ate up disposable income.
                        That's when the ammo crunch hit home.
                        Then, along came Obama and ammo and component prices went off the charts.
                        I no longer go out and just bang ammo like I used to.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Ammo/guns: the other side of the coin
                          by dewman
                          All of you know my latest 7mm-08. Well, I had a fella today at the little gun store I loiter at offer me $1,000 for it and the scope. Offered $40 a box...
                          03-02-2021, 09:36 PM
                        • Ammunition vs. components.
                          by Red Angus
                          Throughout the course of my daily duties, questions occasionally form in my mind as I contemplate various matters and this question seemed to be a likely...
                          03-02-2021, 11:03 AM
                        • Deer population
                          by Red Angus
                          Over evening last weekend, Feb. 20-21, my wife and I counted 55 deer in the 2-1/2 miles before we got home. Groups ranged in size from 5 to 25. Such numbers...
                          03-01-2021, 05:53 PM
                        • Nice find poochie!
                          by FirstBubba
                          The kid's pup headed to the backyard after breakfast.
                          THIS is what she found.

No longer viable due to traumatic head injuri...
                          02-28-2021, 11:32 AM
                        • 6.8 Western
                          by jhjimbo
                          Really ? I just took a quick glance at the 6.8 and on paper it sure looks like my Remington 7mmMag. Not a whiskers difference. I have heard some complain...
                          02-24-2021, 07:37 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X