Reloading Gear Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reloading Gear Order

I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make sure I’m not wasting money on something I’ll end up upgrading quickly.

First up are three things from Frankford Arsenal: Digital Calipers, Bullet Puller and Powder Trickler. It seems like these have the same quality as similar offerings from the loading brands for a bit less money, not paying for the name maybe?

Lee Perfect Powder Measure: Seems to be the standard beginners choice.

Lyman Turbo 1200 Pro Tumbler: A bit better reviews than some of the cheaper tumblers and is in stock. A couple others I thought about are back ordered.

RCBS Universal Hand priming tool: No shell holders required.

Nosler Manual is out of stock there, will order elsewhere.

Also had an RCBS case trimmer in the cart but will hold off for now.

Not looking to start next week, just getting stuff together finally. I have other basics in the cart as well but nothing worth mentioning.

Will this stuff do or should I consider something else?

Frankford Arsenal: Digital Calipers - BUY, they should work well

Bullet Puller - MAYBE, In 30 years of loading, I've only used mine 3 times. I'd wait until there's a need. Also, that's an item you can borrow if you know someone who has it

Powder Trickler - BUY, it's a must have item

Lee Perfect Powder Measure - BUY, That's what I've used since the mid 90s. Obviously it does well enough for me in loading hunting ammo

Lyman Turbo 1200 Pro Tumbler - BUY, That's similar to the one I have from another manufacturer. Another item I've used since the mid 90s

RCBS Universal Hand priming tool - I DUNNO ABOUT THIS ONE, I've never used a hand held priming tool. Mine is an on-press discontinued Lee primer system. It is a little finicky to set up but works well for me. I like the extra leverage of the press handle. Instead, I suggest the Lee Auto Bench Priming Tool. $28.99 at Midway.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017749087?pid=978504

Here's some YouTube videos on its use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5CSkxpomJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQzMhco_NaI

For trimming, I use a hand-held drill with the Lee Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock Stud
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012835597?pid=476992

That method requires the Lee Case Length Gauge and Shellholder for your cartridge
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012838679

Here's a couple of videos of the case trimming operation I use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teUjyhY5pHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yF-gNn5iGA - I don't recommend mounting your drill vertically like shown in this video. Trimmed brass is shed and I'm guessing could make it into the drill housing if done like that. I trim over a bag lined garbage bucket
    Last edited by PigHunter; 10-17-2020, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Digital calipers - I've survived very well the last 40 years using the little plastic, RCBS dial caliper.
      Wished many times I had a nicer one.
      Sounds good.

Bullet puller - I've got a "kinetic" bullet puller. It works, but it makes me nervous. Wish I had a RCBS with all (most) of the collets.
      You can save lots of bullets and cases with a puller.
      Solid investment.

Powder Trickler - without a powder trickler, you may as well sell out and go home! LOL!
      Essential equipment!

Powder Measure - have absolutely NO experience with Lee except them little "yaller" dippers! LOL!
      Pat was about 3 turns tighter than treebark. If it wasn't a necessity, Pat wasn't spending the money.
      Instead of a powder dump, or measure, or trickler or even dipper, Pat found a powder that called for a "compressed" load.
      Pat resized and reprinted his brass.
      He then poured his powder in a plastic bowl, dipped his case full of powder and crimped a bullet on top! LOL!
      A powder dump* is essential! Get what you like.

I have the Lyman 1200 "Turbo" vibratory case cleaner. Mine (about 30 years old!) works best with rouge treated nut shell media. It won't remove some stains. Hard to clean brass I scrub with 0000 steel wool, then polish.
      Case cleaner - essential? No.
      Let's call it an essential, nonessential!
      Good idea. Go for it.

Hand primer - I've never used anything but a press primer and my bench top priming tool.
      Hey! Whatever trips your trigger.
      Ya "gotta" reprime cases. How you go about it is up to you. Guess your biggest question is budget.
      Essential. Make you happy.

Nosler Reloading Manual - this is an essential that is purely personal choice. A new loading manual every couple of years is almost an absolute must.
      New powders, new bullets, new calibers.
      I bought a brand spanking new manual. Got it home and realized it was outdated for the caliber I bought it for! LOL!

Case trimmer - another "essential nonessential"!
      I loaded without one for years. They sure do take care of little aggravations.
      Your choice.

Two items I didn't see you may want to consider.
      1) deburring tool - deburs and chamfers trimmed, resized cases
      2) primer pocket cleaner (small and large)

* - a lot of reloaders are going with the electronic, digital, combo powder dump/scale affairs.
      They scare me! 😳!
      I would rather have a manually adjustable powder dump/scale.
      Trusting electronics to me is like trusting the safety on a gun!
      I would live in fear of the batteries dying, power failure or magnetic fluctuations that would alter the feed rate!🤔?

Comment

I would get the digital calipers from Harbor Freight on sale about $10. Hey, they are all made in China.
        I like the Hornady bullet puller and collets for the calibers I load. RCBS also has one similar.
        Case hand chamfer is a must , you can not load flat base bullets in cases you have trimmed without the chamfer/deburr tool.
        For case trimmer check for used Lyman electric lathe trimmer - you will be happy you did. It also has a brush built in that cleans the primer pocket.
        I like the Lee hand primer.
        Check Amazon for Nosler Manual or any major manufacturer new or late edition used version Manual. Powder Manuf. also print their own.
        I like a tumbler with the metal rods for brass cleaning. I have two vibrators but always defer to the rotating drum. Drum does a much better job and with the steel rods also cleans the primer pocket.
        Bite the bullet and get the Gen 6 electronic powder dispenser (or similar design). You will thank me down the road. On sale they are about $220. I got mine at Cabela's, Frankfort also carries it. If you get the electronic Gen 6, you don't need the trickler or the powder measure as the balance does that. The Gen 6 can also just be used as a balance only complete with calibration mode with check weight as well as dispenser. In auto dispense mode every time you put the pan on the balance it will dispense - nothing to push. Also it tells you how many times it has dispensed. Works good with any size powder kernel. Only negative, if there is one, is changing powders. I plan my reloading so I do all my loads with one powder before I have to change to a different powder. I run it empty of powder and then it is easy to remove any left over kernels with a little brush or puff of air.
        The above should get you a good start to reloading that will serve you well for years to come.

Comment

Thanks again guys, I just ordered 13 items. I did add a Lyman tool that works on both ends of the brass as well as a lube kit, cleaning media, etc.

I thought about going with an electronic dispenser but will hold off for now. I won't be in too deep on the other stuff and can always pass it on to the kid later on. I probably won't need a case trimmer right away either as i have a pretty good supply of once fired brass from our rifles.

Next stop is a LGS that I'm told has had primers and powders in stock in decent supply lately. I'm going to look into a couple options and hopefully come up with something.

Jim: I picked up one of those Harbor Freight calipers a couple months ago but returned it, it only measured to hundredths not thousandths. I figured thst might bite me eventually.

Comment

Lube kit!
            Geez don't forget the lube kit!

I had resized probably seventy five or eighty .270 cases.
            That's when I noticed that one lonely .270 case I dropped cleaning out the case cleaner. My fingers were still slippery from lubing cases, so I just rubbed my greasy fingers on the case, stuck it in the shell Holder and rammed that puppy up in the sizing die. A little stiff, so I grunted on the compound Rock Chucker and crammed it home......the handle wouldn't come back up.
            I almost ripped my bench of the shop floor!
            It refused to budge!
            A RCBS stock case remover* never fazed it!
            For whatever reason(I still don't know where it came from!?), I had a second. 270 Win Sizer die.
            Took me about a year to dig that stuck case out!
            LUBE THOSE CASES!

*speaking of a "stuck case remover"!!!!!! If you only use it ONCE, it will be well worth the purchase price!
            Look at it as a "die protection plan"!

...and 7pm on a Friday evening when you need ammo to hunt with tomorrow and a case gets stuck, you'll say, "Ol FirstBubba was right!"
            About 10 minutes later, you be loading again instead of scratching your head, staring at the stuck case wondering how in tarnation you're going to get it out and mumbling, "Why didn't I just listen to FirstBubba!"
            Last edited by FirstBubba; 10-17-2020, 09:49 PM.

Comment

PH; I saw the Lee Bench Primer tool and considered it but I don’t have much space to mount one. The RCBS press looks to have a spot to add the primer gizmo but since I’d have to buy one I decided to go with the handheld. I probably could have saved a little with the Lee version but it appears they’ve been redesigned and reviews aren’t as good. The other Lee handheld uses shell holders that aren’t included. Seemed like a hassle in addition to the extra expense of buying them.

Comment

Reloading will add a whole new level of "doodads", "thingamajigs" and "geegaws" to your bench! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                  PH; I saw the Lee Bench Primer tool and considered it but I don’t have much space to mount one. The RCBS press looks to have a spot to add the primer gizmo but since I’d have to buy one I decided to go with the handheld. I probably could have saved a little with the Lee version but it appears they’ve been redesigned and reviews aren’t as good. The other Lee handheld uses shell holders that aren’t included. Seemed like a hassle in addition to the extra expense of buying them.
                  One method to preserve bench space - I have my powder measure mounted to a short length of 2x4 and use a c-clamp to affix it to the bench edge. After use, I store the powder measure / 2x4 combo out of the way. The same could be done with the bench priming tool.

Comment

Thanks again guys, I just ordered 13 items. I did add a Lyman tool that works on both ends of the brass as well as a lube kit, cleaning media, etc.

I thought about going with an electronic dispenser but will hold off for now. I won't be in too deep on the other stuff and can always pass it on to the kid later on. I probably won't need a case trimmer right away either as i have a pretty good supply of once fired brass from our rifles.

Next stop is a LGS that I'm told has had primers and powders in stock in decent supply lately. I'm going to look into a couple options and hopefully come up with something.

Jim: I picked up one of those Harbor Freight calipers a couple months ago but returned it, it only measured to hundredths not thousandths. I figured thst might bite me eventually.
                    My caliper measures in " to .ooo". My electronic balance weighs in grains to .ooo.
                    I bought a analytical balance at a auction that new would have been $2,000 new. I also have individual certified weights (TO BE HANDLED WITH SILK GLOVE ONLY) to check calibration. Once warmed, about 10 to 20 min, up it holds zero ll day long.
                    A lot of the scales for reloading are very cheap China wonders.
                    A good analytical, if you can find one, is the way to go, especially when loading fast powders for pistols at near max load. + or - .1gr can make a big difference, no big deal in a magnum rifle case with a 85gr load.
                    Electronic balances use an electronic strain gage. A mechanical uses a physical metal strain gage and that is why you never drop a pan on a metal strain gage or turn it upside down. The balance beam is the least accurate as the knife edge is always wearing and getting dirty.
                    Depends how accurate you need to be. NASA in Cleveland can weigh to 6 or 7 decimals, .0000000 microgram - they can weigh a fingerprint.

Comment

Ammo today all over the flea market. 209 primers CCI, $35/1000. How about Winchester .416Rigby Safari 400gr bullet for $60/20. About anything you would want.

Comment

Received an Email from Midway saying the order has shipped, it shows one package so it must be a pretty big box waiting on pick-up. Christmas is coming early, lol.

Comment

Received an Email from Midway saying the order has shipped, it shows one package so it must be a pretty big box waiting on pick-up. Christmas is coming early, lol.
                          Man I hate that wait! 😀🤔😳🤪🥴😖😜😀

Comment

My last Midway order came in two days. Ordered the Eley ammo on the 14th and it was delivered on the 16th.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                              My last Midway order came in two days. Ordered the Eley ammo on the 14th and it was delivered on the 16th.
                              Tracking info shows it left the warehouse this afternoon and should be here by Wednesday evening. That would be impressive.

If it gets here by this weekend I'll pop the spent primers out of the 22-250 & 7mm-08 brass I have on hand and get the tumbler rolling. Gets dark right after dinner time now so outside stuff is limited to weekends until March.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget