What binoculars are you all using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What binoculars are you all using?

What binoculars are you using? Likes? Dislikes? Pros? Cons?

I have a pair of Vortex Vanquish 10X26 binoculars that I've been using for a couple years now. I really like the small size and light weight, but it comes at the cost of low light clarity. However, for a budget friendly option I am satisfied with the overall clarity of the glass.

I'm afraid mine are all oldies. Pair of bushnell legends(8x), pair or older Zeis(10x), and couple of Jasons (10&7x). They work well enough most times but for range or open country prefer a spotting scope even though I can look through binos a lot longer without getting eye strain or headaches.

Comment

I use a discontinued set of Leupold 10x Gold Rings. Heavy, but they have seen me through a lot of hunting. Always in a harness.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
        I use a discontinued set of Leupold 10x Gold Rings. Heavy, but they have seen me through a lot of hunting. Always in a harness.
        Mine are noticeably heavy too. Keeps whiny borrowers away.😉

Comment

I've been using a 6x monocular for most of my hunting over the last few years. However, I use a binocular sometimes when hunting from a box blind. My favorite has been a 8x40 Bushnell with poro prisms. However, I decided to upgrade this year since pay hunts are now a yearly thing. So, I purchased the following. At 20 ounces, they are not too much to carry.

Nikon MONARCH 5 8x42
          https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pr...ch-5-8x42.html

Comment

Zeiss 8X20 002.JPG Zeiss 8X20B - fit in a shirt pocket. jim
            Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-09-2020, 04:30 PM.

Comment

I have two pair of 8x42’s, both Meopta’s. I bought a pair of Meopros before our elk hunt last fall with the idea of having just one decent set of do it all binos but then stumbled onto a pair of Meostars for an absolute steal. Each have advantages over the other. I doubt I’ll have much decision making over which ones to carry, the boy has the Meostars out every chance he gets even if it’s just checking something out from the house.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                I have two pair of 8x42’s, both Meopta’s. I bought a pair of Meopros before our elk hunt last fall with the idea of having just one decent set of do it all binos but then stumbled onto a pair of Meostars for an absolute steal. Each have advantages over the other. I doubt I’ll have much decision making over which ones to carry, the boy has the Meostars out every chance he gets even if it’s just checking something out from the house.
                Funny how those decisions get made. 🤣

Comment

Leupy binocs and friends.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                    but then stumbled onto a pair of Meostars for an absolute steal.
                    Ever bought a scope, just because it was a good deal, and not had a rifle to put it on? Yeah, me neither. Haha.

Then there's the finding of a bunch of rifle brass a the range, once-fired and rare, of course with the boxes in the trash can. They get tucked away, just in case you ever buy a scope that doesn't have a rifle, so you buy a rifle that just happens to be the same caliber as the brass you picked up...of course I've never done that either. Oh, and the rifle I didn't buy was a 45-70.

Comment

Ever bought a scope, just because it was a good deal, and not had a rifle to put it on? Yeah, me neither. Haha.

Then there's the finding of a bunch of rifle brass a the range, once-fired and rare, of course with the boxes in the trash can. They get tucked away, just in case you ever buy a scope that doesn't have a rifle, so you buy a rifle that just happens to be the same caliber as the brass you picked up...of course I've never done that either. Oh, and the rifle I didn't buy was a 45-70.
                      You are spot on! I've got brass for rifles I'll never have too! A couple of years ago an older character approaches me at the range and asks me if I handload. "Sure, why do you ask?"... Well, he's been collecting brass for years and wasn't even a handloader. It was time for him to get rid of some things in prep for a move and so he had a 5 gallon bucket about 2/3 full of brass of all types he wanted to give away!

I got over 200 45-70 cases from that batch as well as hundreds of .45 ACP, .38 Special, .30-06, etc, etc.!!!

I do have a .45-70 single shot but hardly ever shoot it. No worries, I set for reloading anyways!

And yes, just because of a good price, I've purchased scopes and binoculars I didn't really need.

Comment

Well, maybe once. Or twice. Or....

That reminds me, I need to start looking for a deal on something for that Ruger American and something permanent for the girls rifle. Apparently I’m fresh out of extras, not sure how that happened.

Comment

I thought I had lost my Nikon 10 X 42s during Hurricane Harvey, and was looking for a replacement when I found a set of 12 X 42s for an absolute steal, considering they were Nikons. Bought the 12 X 42s, and less than a week later The Bookkeeper hollered at me "You're not going to believe what I just found!" I went to see and while unpacking a box of surviving housewares, there were my Nikon 10 X 42s, and my Nikon 600 rangefinder. Both had survived being submerged for at least three days when we couldn't get into our flooded home. I am now binocular poor.

Comment

At a pawn shop in Azle, TX, a friend reached under the counter and handed me a set of very nice, clean Bushnell 8×32 binos. They were marked $20, so I reached for my wallet.
                            "Nope," he said, "they've been here too long. Take them!"
                            It's not that I don't appreciate good glass, but 8×33 "field glasses" work very well for what little "glassing" I do.
                            If I were scanning mountain sides for trophy elk or mule deer, I'd probably step WAY up!

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                              I thought I had lost my Nikon 10 X 42s during Hurricane Harvey, and was looking for a replacement when I found a set of 12 X 42s for an absolute steal, considering they were Nikons. Bought the 12 X 42s, and less than a week later The Bookkeeper hollered at me "You're not going to believe what I just found!" I went to see and while unpacking a box of surviving housewares, there were my Nikon 10 X 42s, and my Nikon 600 rangefinder. Both had survived being submerged for at least three days when we couldn't get into our flooded home. I am now binocular poor.
                              I'm impressed they survived being submerged that long.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                                by dewman
                                Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                                Today, 08:40 AM
                              • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                                by dewman
                                Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                                Today, 07:59 AM
                              • What is taking so long ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                                Yesterday, 07:52 PM
                              • Burn cream
                                by CD2
                                Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                                No longer does.
                                Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                                Bargain.

Got...
                                Yesterday, 05:39 PM
                              • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                                by dewman
                                So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                                09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X