Would you Try a Floating Campsite?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you Try a Floating Campsite?

I came across this video the other day, seems like this is legit. I can see where it could have some advantages, but when' I'm camping a bit of sand or dirt always gets in the tent. With this, I'm wondering how wet my stuff will get.

So would you give it a go?

I guess I would give it a try if someone else had one. I looked around and some of the other versions made this seem pretty dang expensive!

Also what about in southern states or in other countries? Snakes? Crocs & Gators? Or up north? A swimming bear or moose? A seal? In the pacific north west, I guess Orcas get pretty curious from time to time, think they'd mess with it just to find out what it is?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
      I guess I would give it a try if someone else had one. I looked around and some of the other versions made this seem pretty dang expensive!

Also what about in southern states or in other countries? Snakes? Crocs & Gators? Or up north? A swimming bear or moose? A seal? In the pacific north west, I guess Orcas get pretty curious from time to time, think they'd mess with it just to find out what it is?
      In my estimation, it would not be too conducive to a good ‘ol campfire ! And after all, one of the prime factors of having a camp in the first place is the warm glow of a nice wood fire, with the cracklings and aroma ! Let’s see anyone duplicate that on a rubber raft camp!

Comment

It's highly unlikely I'd give it a whirl as I prefer to keep my feet, and camp, on dry land. Although it certainly looks like something some folks would enjoy, assuming they conquered their fears of the critters you mentioned in your answer that is.

Comment

As long as it's in a lake and not the ocean. Would be like sleeping in a big water bed. Man I would have my pole in all nite. My concerns would be waking up and the anchor letting go. You would wake up and be lost at sea.

Comment

I would go for something like a small pontoon boat with a structure on it or maybe a tent set up. The family has rented pontoon boats on Lakes like 4th Lake in the Adirondacks and Moosehead Lake and they are very comfortable. Yes, the larger ones could have a self contained wood burning fireplace. A lot of boats have charcoal grills that hang over the side of the boat. Safe, clean and when finished they just dump the coals in the water.
            I have stayed out on the Lake overnight to evade bugs and be a little cooler. The main thing is to get out of the areas used by boat traffic and have a white light seen 360 deg on at all times. Many times you can find a protected cove in case the weather turns bad.

Comment

We Rent a Pontoon Boat that sleeps 6 with a Frig, Stove,Electric lights to cruse the St.John River to Ga & Back.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                I would go for something like a small pontoon boat with a structure on it or maybe a tent set up. The family has rented pontoon boats on Lakes like 4th Lake in the Adirondacks and Moosehead Lake and they are very comfortable. Yes, the larger ones could have a self contained wood burning fireplace. A lot of boats have charcoal grills that hang over the side of the boat. Safe, clean and when finished they just dump the coals in the water.
                I have stayed out on the Lake overnight to evade bugs and be a little cooler. The main thing is to get out of the areas used by boat traffic and have a white light seen 360 deg on at all times. Many times you can find a protected cove in case the weather turns bad.
                Sounds like fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                  We Rent a Pontoon Boat that sleeps 6 with a Frig, Stove,Electric lights to cruse the St.John River to Ga & Back.
                  Now that's the way to go. Does the toilet and gray water dump directly or is the waste contained for pumping out at a landing?

Comment

Wouldn't be my choice for overnight. However, I would consider a floating platform such as those in the Alabama river delta.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post

Hey Rich, what about the Eclipse fire pit on the floating structure? ?

https://www.woodlanddirect.com/Eclipse-Fire-Pit-with-Rust-Patina-Finish?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIouXNlPv42wIVx0CGCh2pAAJnE AQYBSABEgLw1PD_BwE

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
                        As long as it's in a lake and not the ocean. Would be like sleeping in a big water bed. Man I would have my pole in all nite. My concerns would be waking up and the anchor letting go. You would wake up and be lost at sea.
                        I went on many three day river or stream canoe trips. We pulled over to shore and set up camp.
                        Tons of fun and we had a blast. ? ? Great memories!

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
                          I was out in the Chesapeake overnight on someone elses 37' sail. We were moored up for a while in a cove that was starting to get relatively crowded when someone decided we were in "their spot". (I don't understand people like that on a public area). Capn' exchanged some words, they went through the motions of trying to moor next to us , but within the swing of two other boats whose owners then jumped into the discussion. They moved on.
                          We woke up in the morning drifting into shore with our anchor pulled. Pretty sure that wasn't coincidence.

Comment

Seems you would have to go on dry land to answer a serious call of nature. That could be problematical in the dead of night.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget