Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good recommendations on a good riding lawn mower? ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
    I've got the smallest of the JDeere X line X300, but it's a 42 inch deck.
    Been running that thing for about 9 years now, mow about an acre, and it's probably busier in the so-called offseason. I use it to move firewood, plow, and I put a Johnny Bucket Jr. on it and use it to scrape and maintain the gravel drive. So it's also moving mulch, soil, and gravel. I don't recall how many hundreds of hours I have on it. My only complaint with it to date is that the hood plastic cracked and is held together with duct tape at this point.
    Sounds like you're working that JDeere like a rented mule!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      Check out the Troy-Bilt TB30R (exclusive to Lowe's). It's got a 30-inch deck.
      https://www.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-TB30R-10-5-HP-Manual-Gear-30-in-Riding-Lawn-Mower-Mulching-Capable/50119601?AID=10926682&PID=
      Dang Jimbo, that's what I call using brute force!

I've got a cordless electric mower for my yard and by necessity keep the blade sharp (and oriented correctly!). It just doesn't have the torque of the gasoline powered ones and a dull blade quickly eats the power.

Comment

Been running that thing for about 9 years now, mow about an acre, and it's probably busier in the so-called offseason. I use it to move firewood, plow, and I put a Johnny Bucket Jr. on it and use it to scrape and maintain the gravel drive. So it's also moving mulch, soil, and gravel. I don't recall how many hundreds of hours I have on it. My only complaint with it to date is that the hood plastic cracked and is held together with duct tape at this point.
        I'm a little surprised I haven't blown the transmission yet. (and btw, the automatic is a god send when the snow is too deep and heavy to plow in straight lines and you're scalloping out and backing up over and over just by switching foot pedals. Up to about 8" of heavy snow or the blade height of dry snow and it can just shoulder it aside, but that thing probably doesn't weigh 600lbs fully outfitted and with me on it. It has limits, but it's been a workhorse. The JB jr. was a last year purchase that has probably paid for itself in time on weekends and life left in my back too.
        That little lawn tractor doesn't owe me anything. And I haven't done much other than replace the oil, add fuel, and occasionally lube up some points.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
          Gary only you know what size you need for the job at hand, your looking for a good brand Troy -Bilt & John Deere are top line (imo) The two come with a snow blower or plow blade....HMmmmmmmwinter
          Let us know what you eventually buy.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            Gary, my answer disappeared. I said you can get a carpenter who can very easily make your entrance into barn doors of any size you want. Very easy to do.
            Or just do it yourself.

Comment

Gary only you know what size you need for the job at hand, your looking for a good brand Troy -Bilt & John Deere are top line (imo) The two come with a snow blower or plow blade....HMmmmmmmwinter
              good night.

Comment

I had an 8 yr old Troy-bilt its at camp now, I have a New J-Deere 54" cut model Z375R for our new place.

Comment

If you want to fix the cracks in the hood, super glue loves to bond to plastic and rubber. It is calles a cross-link polymerzation, the strongest kind of chemical link.
                  Clean plastic with alcohol and have at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                    This may be good to store a riding mower. It's only $726.
                    A carpenter can put doors like that on your existing shed. Actually, the door you have can be moved to the other side and another door just like it can be put where the original door was.

Comment

I may give that a shot, Jhimbo.. but the duct tape makes it look tough.. right?

Comment

I'd recommend epoxy, rather than super glue; the hood is likely polycarbonate, and cyanoacrylate (super glue) doesn't form a very strong bond, especially not with long, thin cracks along a sheet. Superglue is great for porous materials, where it can create the strong polymer matrix, but for some applications, 2 part epoxy is the way to go. If it were me, though, I'd stick with the duct tape. It may not be pretty, but I'm sure it works!
                        http://www.wipolymers.ie/2015/05/gluing-polycarbonate-polycarbonate-glue-plastic-glue-ireland/

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                          I have always had good service and performance from Troy-Bilt. Currently I have a riding mower, self propelled mower, and generator. They work.
                          Who cares what honk the phony has? I'm sure it is bigger and better than anything anybody else has, and has a four paragraph story of mighty deeds to go with it.

Comment

I'd look into the reviews before you buy them my opinion would be john deer. Craftsman used to be good but now and days I think they are getting to cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                              This may be good to store a riding mower. It's only $726.
                              Good point Jim, but maybe hindsight my shed getting petty loaded up already. I need shed number two for my new riding mower.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pieces of gold.
                                by 99explorer
                                Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                                Yesterday, 06:45 PM
                              • Mansion on fire.
                                by 99explorer
                                One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                                It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                                Yesterday, 10:04 AM
                              • Firing squad.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                                This final shot does...
                                08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
                              • Lost in the woods.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                                Two Indians...
                                08-22-2019, 01:24 PM
                              • Books on a shelf.
                                by 99explorer
                                There are several books on a bookshelf.
                                If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                                08-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X