Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you giving for graduation presents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you giving for graduation presents?

My grandnephew is graduating from high school in a few weeks. He's a hunter and fisherman so I'm thinking of giving him one of the knives in my collection for a graduation present. It's a discontinued model from Benchmade, unused and still in the box. I was about to put it on eBay because I'm probably never going to use it. They usually go for $150 to $200.

What do you think? Is this a good gift or should I pick a shorter blade? What are you giving for graduation presents this year?
    Attached Files

I think your idea of giving a knife for a present Pighunter is a good one, but I have never been much in favor of the longer blades due to their rather limited use, and especially for the purpose of field dressing. You are better acquainted with your grandnephew’s needs, so I am sure you know what is best in this situation, but a more practical knife would fit as it would have more applications and probably get more use ! But then I guess we all use knives for different things, so one person can not answer for all. I have no one graduating so I am sparred that decision. The main thing is that you are thinking about him in the first place !!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
      I think your idea of giving a knife for a present Pighunter is a good one, but I have never been much in favor of the longer blades due to their rather limited use, and especially for the purpose of field dressing. You are better acquainted with your grandnephew’s needs, so I am sure you know what is best in this situation, but a more practical knife would fit as it would have more applications and probably get more use ! But then I guess we all use knives for different things, so one person can not answer for all. I have no one graduating so I am sparred that decision. The main thing is that you are thinking about him in the first place !!
      Thanks Richard. I was talking with my brother about the subject last night. He gave the kid a custom hunting knife last year. But, the young man is reluctant to carry it into the woods because of it's value. I was thinking the Benchmade provides an element of tacti-cool that these young guys like. However, you make an excellent point about the utility of shorter bladed knives. I have a couple of those too that are not getting use that may be a better choice...

Comment

By the way, one of our family friends gave my brother a Buck 110 folder for his high school graduation in 1978. That's the only graduation present he remembers and that knife is still in use!

Comment

Don't know any grad age kids. When I did, the old yellow handle, two blade Case was my standard.
          Those that didn't seem "knifey" got a $50 bill.

Comment

IMO, too much knife and too limited use. Get him a nice 110 or a leatherman.

Comment

Invite him over and show him your collection, Watch closely to which he is drawn too. That should give you a good idea.

Comment

I do not recall getting any gifts. I used to say the single biggest raise you will ever have is when you your last child gets through college. Now days I add, the biggest raise is when you get your last grandchild through college. I worked my way through, along with a couple scholarships. Life is simpler if grandpa can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                  I do not recall getting any gifts. I used to say the single biggest raise you will ever have is when you your last child gets through college. Now days I add, the biggest raise is when you get your last grandchild through college. I worked my way through, along with a couple scholarships. Life is simpler if grandpa can help.
                  I don't remember any specific gift either. It was probably cash, which of course is always welcomed. My brother has turned out to be the rich uncle in our family. He and my sister-in-law never had children, choosing to live simply for most of their lives. His present to our grandnephew is an AR-10 and a planned safari to Africa next spring. (South Africa - SCI auction hunt).

Some of my support is still going towards my son. Otherwise, the focus is shifting to helping grandchildren get along in life. The past decade was rough on their parents. Fortunately, I've been in a position to help now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by rockhound View Post
                    Invite him over and show him your collection, Watch closely to which he is drawn too. That should give you a good idea.
                    Great idea! Thanks Rockhound.

Comment

Thanks Jimbo. I haven't considered a Leatherman but one could come in handy as he goes off to college.

Comment

Pighunter, I am up for adoption if that would mean a little help now and then !

Comment

LOL! Richard, I'm not ready to start changing adult diapers for anyone yet... How about I just send you a monthly check?

Comment

Thank you all for the input. I've decided to take advice and adjusted accordingly. So, as Jimbo suggested, we're going to give my nephew a Leatherman - Wingman Multitool. That will be useful for both hunting and fishing trips.

Also, we're giving him a Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Knife. I've been using one for three seasons now for some field dressing of deer and pigs. It's an inexpensive knife but does a great job and perhaps he'll actually carry it hunting and fishing.

Thanks again for the responses!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                              Thank you all for the input. I've decided to take advice and adjusted accordingly. So, as Jimbo suggested, we're going to give my nephew a Leatherman - Wingman Multitool. That will be useful for both hunting and fishing trips.

Also, we're giving him a Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Knife. I've been using one for three seasons now for some field dressing of deer and pigs. It's an inexpensive knife but does a great job and perhaps he'll actually carry it hunting and fishing.

Thanks again for the responses!
                              I'm a little late to the party, it seems, but I must say that I think you've made a wonderful choice. As a graduate myself, I would greatly appreciate the gifts that you chose, and I presume that your nephew will too. If not... I'll be graduating this year also ;-)
                              I would also recommend personalizing the knives, perhaps a small inscription? Nothing much, just a date and a personal touch. Something like: Congratulations from PigHunter, 6-18; and remind him--while these gifts may come with a lifetime warranty, HE does not. As the kids say (or said a couple of years ago) YOLO (You Only Live Once) so enjoy it, but make it last!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The new king.
                                by 99explorer
                                The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                                Now the twins are adults...
                                Yesterday, 04:27 PM
                              • Sisters.
                                by 99explorer
                                Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                                How...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 AM
                              • Rice for sale.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                                He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                                He soon becomes...
                                08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
                              • Strangers meet.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                                No identification markers...
                                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                              • OU football
                                by FirstBubba
                                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X