Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody recommend a good pick up truck? My younger brother checking out the different 2018 makes and models.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody recommend a good pick up truck? My younger brother checking out the different 2018 makes and models.

Give me the good, the bad and the ugly about pick-up trucks.
    No dinging each other. Please, respect everybody's opinion.
    Thank You

IMO, the ideal truck would be a Ford chassis with a 5.9 Cummins and a six speed manual transmission rounded out with 3/55 gears and a Hydrabed to complete the package.

I've no personal experience with anything newer than 2005, but anybody I've talked to who has a newer model Ford or Chevy have been pleased with their trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
      IMO, the ideal truck would be a Ford chassis with a 5.9 Cummins and a six speed manual transmission rounded out with 3/55 gears and a Hydrabed to complete the package.

I've no personal experience with anything newer than 2005, but anybody I've talked to who has a newer model Ford or Chevy have been pleased with their trucks.
      Thanks Red. ?

Comment

I only had one pick- up truck in my lifetime. It was a brand new 1978 Ford F-150.
        No complaints.
        The doe shown below dropped down low after hearing my bow release. Luckily my arrow hit the jugular vein.
        Attached Files

Comment

For me it would depend who had the better deal, probably end of year deal. I have had them all and consider them about equal.
          Jeep is re-introducing their pick-up truck next year which should be interesting. They were very popular in the '60's and '70's.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
            I only had one pick- up truck in my lifetime. It was a brand new 1978 Ford F-150.
            No complaints.
            The doe shown below dropped down low after hearing my bow release. Luckily my arrow hit the jugular vein.
            Looks like you got the smallest one of the group.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              For me it would depend who had the better deal, probably end of year deal. I have had them all and consider them about equal.
              Jeep is re-introducing their pick-up truck next year which should be interesting. They were very popular in the '60's and '70's.
              Thanks Jim, if Consumers Reports or Edmunds gave a pick-up truck a lousy review for that year, would you buy it because of a nice deal??
              I told my brother to get a Jeep they sit higher for ground clearance. The Jeep Company doesn't make a pick-up.
              How come, Jim? You are a Jeep guy in your posted photos. Thanks for your opinion plus one.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                If you watch the recalls, they all are subject to 'problems'. Recently Ford because of doors opening.
                IF I were to buy one I would favor the Ford with the Eco-boost engine. Lots of power with great mileage out of a small engine. (in years passed I have owned Ford, Chev and Dodge pick-ups)
                I have chosen to have the Jeep Grand Cherokee as it meets all my needs and with the hitch carrier I can get a couple of deer or lawnmower, or anything else on it that I might want to carry. Plus with the Hemi I can get 22 to 23 MPG highway and still have 400hp when I need it. A pick-up is hard for an old guy to get into to get things from the front and I would not want an open bed for security and weather. No, for me a SUV like the proven Jeep is the way to go.

Comment

I won't even allow a Government Motors (GM) product park on my place!
                  Ford is so-so, but I'm not too keen on them either.
                  It wasn't until 2002 that I finally laid my hands on a used, 2001 Dodge 3500 "dually" w/Cummins diesel.
                  Over 350K miles and I'm still getting 20 mpg and it's solid as a rock!
                  Since the Gov't (EPA?) started requiring DEF (Diesel Emission Fluid!) in all diesel vehicles, I won't touch a diesel unless I can find a solid, older Cummins that doesn't require DEF.
                  Toyota now makes it's "Tundra" model with a Cummins diesel.
                  Dodge now builds a 1/2 ton p/u with a diesel, but I don't think it's a Cummins.
                  Ford, GMC and Chevy all use 8 cylinder diesels. Totally uncalled for.
                  Hmmm....!
                  Maybe I'm not a good person to ask Gary!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post

Your welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                      I won't even allow a Government Motors (GM) product park on my place!
                      Ford is so-so, but I'm not too keen on them either.
                      It wasn't until 2002 that I finally laid my hands on a used, 2001 Dodge 3500 "dually" w/Cummins diesel.
                      Over 350K miles and I'm still getting 20 mpg and it's solid as a rock!
                      Since the Gov't (EPA?) started requiring DEF (Diesel Emission Fluid!) in all diesel vehicles, I won't touch a diesel unless I can find a solid, older Cummins that doesn't require DEF.
                      Toyota now makes it's "Tundra" model with a Cummins diesel.
                      Dodge now builds a 1/2 ton p/u with a diesel, but I don't think it's a Cummins.
                      Ford, GMC and Chevy all use 8 cylinder diesels. Totally uncalled for.
                      Hmmm....!
                      Maybe I'm not a good person to ask Gary!
                      Bubba, your comments were good. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                        No complaints.
                        Jim, I shot that deer in the pine barrens. Deer are much smaller then farm field fed bruisers. That was an adult doe believe it or not.

Comment

Is he looking for a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton or 1 ton, and gas or diesel? All of the current 1500s are pretty solid, though proven engines are the way to go. The 5.3 Chevy, 5.7 Ram and 5.0 Ford V8s are all good engines. The Chevy 6.2 is good but expensive and requires a higher grade fuel, but the 5.3 has been around for a long time with a good record. That's what my last truck was and I miss it, not that it was anything special but it did have a more comfortable ride. The Ram Ecodiesel is a Cummins I believe, but has almost no relation to the 6.7 Cummins used in the Heavy Duty trucks. Their gas V8, the 5.7 Hemi, is in my current truck. I'm about to hit 60k and no REAL issues so far, but there are several little electrical glitches that pop up occasionally, nothing bad. Ford Ecoboosts look good on paper but occasionally have trouble with the turbos, whereas Fords 5.0 V8 is known to be dead reliable. Most of Ford's technicians would reccomend that v8 for its reliability and because it doesn't require spooling up the turbos to get the most power. The turbos are really only an advantage at high elevation.

A heavy duty truck will cost substantially more (especially a diesel) and will be much less comfortable for everyday driving due to the stiffer suspension necessary to carry such heavy loads. These trucks are only needed if you plan on towing 10,000lbs plus. A gas model will have horrible gas mileage and it nearly as much power as a diesel, but will be much cheaper to buy and maintain, to an extent. A diesel will also holds its value very very well. I don't know anyone who has bought a Ram with a Cummins and not been happy, whether before or after DEF was required. I also don't know anyone with a Ford 2003 or newer (6.0, 6.4 and 6.7 Powerstroke) that hasn't had EXPENSIVE issues, but those old 7.3s were good engines. Chevy/GMC engines with emissions systems (2006 or 2007 and later) have actually been pretty good, with the LBZ (2006-2007) considered by many to be the best Duramax, because of its stronger construction and even though it has an EGR it does not have a DPF system

Personally, I think I'd stick with Chevy if I was buying a 1500, but I don't think there's really a wrong choice in that category if you do your homework. For a 2500 or 3500, I'd buy a Ram with the Cummins and manual transmission. When I move back home and I'm doing more on the farm again I'll be looking for a used 5.9 Ram Cummins or 6.6 LBZ Chevy, preferably stick shift to use as a hauler.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
                            Is he looking for a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton or 1 ton, and gas or diesel? All of the current 1500s are pretty solid, though proven engines are the way to go. The 5.3 Chevy, 5.7 Ram and 5.0 Ford V8s are all good engines. The Chevy 6.2 is good but expensive and requires a higher grade fuel, but the 5.3 has been around for a long time with a good record. That's what my last truck was and I miss it, not that it was anything special but it did have a more comfortable ride. The Ram Ecodiesel is a Cummins I believe, but has almost no relation to the 6.7 Cummins used in the Heavy Duty trucks. Their gas V8, the 5.7 Hemi, is in my current truck. I'm about to hit 60k and no REAL issues so far, but there are several little electrical glitches that pop up occasionally, nothing bad. Ford Ecoboosts look good on paper but occasionally have trouble with the turbos, whereas Fords 5.0 V8 is known to be dead reliable. Most of Ford's technicians would reccomend that v8 for its reliability and because it doesn't require spooling up the turbos to get the most power. The turbos are really only an advantage at high elevation.

A heavy duty truck will cost substantially more (especially a diesel) and will be much less comfortable for everyday driving due to the stiffer suspension necessary to carry such heavy loads. These trucks are only needed if you plan on towing 10,000lbs plus. A gas model will have horrible gas mileage and it nearly as much power as a diesel, but will be much cheaper to buy and maintain, to an extent. A diesel will also holds its value very very well. I don't know anyone who has bought a Ram with a Cummins and not been happy, whether before or after DEF was required. I also don't know anyone with a Ford 2003 or newer (6.0, 6.4 and 6.7 Powerstroke) that hasn't had EXPENSIVE issues, but those old 7.3s were good engines. Chevy/GMC engines with emissions systems (2006 or 2007 and later) have actually been pretty good, with the LBZ (2006-2007) considered by many to be the best Duramax, because of its stronger construction and even though it has an EGR it does not have a DPF system

Personally, I think I'd stick with Chevy if I was buying a 1500, but I don't think there's really a wrong choice in that category if you do your homework. For a 2500 or 3500, I'd buy a Ram with the Cummins and manual transmission. When I move back home and I'm doing more on the farm again I'll be looking for a used 5.9 Ram Cummins or 6.6 LBZ Chevy, preferably stick shift to use as a hauler.
                            Good comparison of the various models. I like the Chev but would get the Allison transmission. You are coming up on plugs for your Hemi. I change my own after the Jeep dealer showed me some plugs that came out of a 5.7 at 75K - don't wait that long. There is only 1 plug to use, no platinum or speciality plugs recommended. My Jeep uses Champion Copper, #570
                            RE14MCC4, $2.09 ea last time I did them. I got mine mail order from O'Reilly.

Comment

Big>G have Your brother little>D buy Consumer Report Best & Worst New & Used Cars/Trucks. All GMs & Dodge/Fiat/Jeep cars/Trucks are listed as the Least Dependable on the Road? it's only a guide.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Firing squad.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                                This final shot does...
                                Today, 09:07 PM
                              • Lost in the woods.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                                Two Indians...
                                Today, 01:24 PM
                              • Books on a shelf.
                                by 99explorer
                                There are several books on a bookshelf.
                                If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                                Yesterday, 02:19 PM
                              • Mental arithmetic.
                                by 99explorer
                                A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
                                The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
                                How much does the ball cost?
                                Yesterday, 11:57 AM
                              • The new king.
                                by 99explorer
                                The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                                Now the twins are adults...
                                08-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X