Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friends, I am thinking about buying this battery operated chainsaw, in case of fallen tree blocking my bear hunting dirt road.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JM View Post
    You're bound to get "road" scents on anything in your car or truck bed whenever you drive. Air filters in your car can only filter out so much. I'd opt for a gas powered saw and just find a way to contain a majority of the scent.
    I don't get road scent in my 2016 SUV. My older work truck I get road smells.?

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
      If battery operated chainsaws were superior to gas operated ones then that's what people that make a living using chainsaws would use,if scent is a concern wrap it in a plastic bag and cover scent it up,there isn't, to many places that a deer doesn't, travel that trees haven,t been cut, deer are instinct reflexive,they don,t have logic to figure that a gas operated chain has been used and old Gary Devine must be close by. That's my 2 cents worth .
      JM, yes I remember all the past OL pissing matches.
      I try to avoid them.
      Sorry for posting a Top Answer earlier by mistake.

Comment

Big>G I think your on the right track, with a No muss,No fuss battery powered chain saw, You will get a chain oil smell. I carry the same one only gas in my truck tool box, good for small jobs. It all depends on size of tree blocking your path!! Keep us informed on the out come;-))

Comment

About 10 years ago, an ice storm came through while at our hunting camp it was the worst in decades. A friend and I removed about 20 trees from our 1 mile lane from our cabin. Also there were 100's of low branches in the way. We cleared it enough to get home in about 3 1/2 hours. Tools? A lopping shears many of the low limbs and a large very sharp bow saw for cutting trees. We dragged some of the cut trees away with a rope and my 4x4 truck. We wished that we had brought a chain saw along but we managed with what we brought.

Comment

Lol ,No attack mode guys ,I just tell it the way I see it,anyway it wouldn't, be much of a discussion if we agreed on everything,sometimes I do try to be the devils advocate ,nothing personal intended6p

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
              I have to say I am deeply leery and suspicious of electric chainsaws. I would advise you to get a gas one and put it in a case and the case in bag. Then if you're still concerned put old wool or shipping blankets over the bag.

If you're going to go electric, you might as well go with the one that had the highest power output for the longest time. I still think you'll be disappointed, but that's MHO
              Chainsaws are a different animal Gary. It takes more torque to run the chain than it does to move air. If the blade gets pinched it can stall the electric motor. I won't be converted anytime soon.

Comment

I've never used a battery chainsaw, but I've heard they work okay unless you get into some real tough wood and then you'll need a gas saw for the extra torque. I have a Husqvarna and a Poulan Pro and I actually prefer the Poulan, starts easier than the "nicer" Husqvarna

Comment

I never go to camp without a gas chain saw, my drive is 800' long.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                    I carry a large bow saw, tow rope, machete, and axe in my 4x4 SUV. That's what I'll use to get a tree out of my way. And that's what I suggest for noise and scent control.

If you've just got to spend your money go for it. I suggest you also purchase a spare battery and means to charge, like a DC to AC inverter.

By the way, I use a corded electric chainsaw around the house. It still makes a lot of noise and it doesn't have the torque you'll get from a gasoline powered one.
                    Pighunter, I didn't know there was anyone else left on Earth who still used a bow saw. They are wonderful tools when used correctly.

Comment

I've never had any experience with an electric chainsaw, but the fact that I own (and use) three Stihl chain saws and one pole saw should tell you where my preferences and brand loyalties lie. If the electric saw has enough power for you, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                        Lol ,No attack mode guys ,I just tell it the way I see it,anyway it wouldn't, be much of a discussion if we agreed on everything,sometimes I do try to be the devils advocate ,nothing personal intended6p
                        If you have the time a bow saw will work. The bow saw blade can pinch up easier in the tree, then a battery operated chain saw.

Comment

Even the best electric chainsaw cannot stray too far from its power source. You can only use it as far as the cord will reach, so it is pretty much a guarantee that you will need to purchase an extension cord if you want the chainsaw to be of much use. Battery-powered chainsaws can alleviate that issue with Lithium-Ion power, although many require several hours to recharge which puts the saw out of action temporarily. You don’t have that issue with a classic cord; you just have to keep its length in mind.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget