Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friends, I am thinking about buying this battery operated chainsaw, in case of fallen tree blocking my bear hunting dirt road.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Friends, I am thinking about buying this battery operated chainsaw, in case of fallen tree blocking my bear hunting dirt road.

    What do you think? It's OK give me the good, the bad and the ugly? Any other recommendations?

    My brother had a tree fall over the road and he had a gas operated chain saw inside his camphor on his pick-up. The gas chainsaw will stink up my SUV and my hunting gear. My brother keeps his hunting gear inside the super cab of his truck away from the stinking gas.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Echo 58V Chainsaw – 1st Place
    Best Battery-Powered Chainsaw Shootout

    Echo 58V Chainsaw Key Features
    Brushless motor
    16-inch bar and chain
    Automatic oiler
    Wrap around handle
    Inertia chain brake
    Includes 58-volt 4.0 Ah lithium-ion battery and 58-volt lithium-ion charger
    Echo 58V Chainsaw Specifications
    Model: Echo CCS-58V4AH (kit), Echo CCS-58VBT (bare)
    Voltage: 58V
    Weight with Battery: 14.3 pounds
    Kitted Battery: 4.0 Ah
    Battery Watt Hours: 204
    Chain: Oregon 90
    Bar Length: 16 in.
    Warranty: 5 years
    Price at The Home Depot: $299 (kit), $199 (bare)
    1st Place: 99 Points
    Echo took first place in the speed test with a decent gap to second place and never looked back. It left every other saw in its wake in run time and efficiency, using only a 4.0 amp hour battery. It was also the only chainsaw in the group to receive Very Good ratings for both bucking and felling grips. Its performance left a 15-point gap to second place.

    There were just two areas where Echo didn’t come out on top. It’s toward the bottom of the pack for weight—hardly a major issue in this class of tools. It also comes with plastic bucking spikes rather than the steel ones I prefer.

    With one of the best feature sets in the group and price of $299 at The Home Depot, not only is the Echo 58V Chainsaw the best battery-powered chainsaw under $400, it’s also an outstanding value.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    If battery operated chainsaws were superior to gas operated ones then that's what people that make a living using chainsaws would use,if scent is a concern wrap it in a plastic bag and cover scent it up,there isn't, to many places that a deer doesn't, travel that trees haven,t been cut, deer are instinct reflexive,they don,t have logic to figure that a gas operated chain has been used and old Gary Devine must be close by. That's my 2 cents worth .

    Comment


    • #3
      I have a dewalt 18 volt cordl as sawzall that I use for the deer woods. And I use the Milwaukee pruning blades it will cut a tree up to 9 inches or so. And a sawzall is much safer than a chain saw. The blades are the key. Th y are worth the money.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
        If battery operated chainsaws were superior to gas operated ones then that's what people that make a living using chainsaws would use,if scent is a concern wrap it in a plastic bag and cover scent it up,there isn't, to many places that a deer doesn't, travel that trees haven,t been cut, deer are instinct reflexive,they don,t have logic to figure that a gas operated chain has been used and old Gary Devine must be close by. That's my 2 cents worth .
        6PHunter,
        I "Never" stated battery chain saws were better then gas chain saws.

        Please read my thread again and take your time. Thanks

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
          I have a dewalt 18 volt cordl as sawzall that I use for the deer woods. And I use the Milwaukee pruning blades it will cut a tree up to 9 inches or so. And a sawzall is much safer than a chain saw. The blades are the key. Th y are worth the money.
          Thanks Dawg, for your opinion.
          This link is where I read the info on battery operated chain saws.

          https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/outdoor-equipment/best-battery-powered-chainsaw-shootout/29018/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
            If battery operated chainsaws were superior to gas operated ones then that's what people that make a living using chainsaws would use,if scent is a concern wrap it in a plastic bag and cover scent it up,there isn't, to many places that a deer doesn't, travel that trees haven,t been cut, deer are instinct reflexive,they don,t have logic to figure that a gas operated chain has been used and old Gary Devine must be close by. That's my 2 cents worth .
            BTW 6PH, I notice the last couple threads I posted, you been in an attack mode. Sorry, if I upset you in anyway.
            I don't want a gas can, an oil can or a smelly chain saw wrapped up in a plastic bag inside my SUV vehicle next to my bear hunting gear.
            It can always upset and spill on the bumpy mountain road loaded with large boulders.
            I do not ding users, just in case one pops up.

            Comment


            • #7
              I have to say I am deeply leery and suspicious of electric chainsaws. I would advise you to get a gas one and put it in a case and the case in bag. Then if you're still concerned put old wool or shipping blankets over the bag.

              If you're going to go electric, you might as well go with the one that had the highest power output for the longest time. I still think you'll be disappointed, but that's MHO

              Comment


              • #8
                You're bound to get "road" scents on anything in your car or truck bed whenever you drive. Air filters in your car can only filter out so much. I'd opt for a gas powered saw and just find a way to contain a majority of the scent.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Father-in- law got a Kobalt from Lowes. He is very happy with it. Father-in- law logged for a living in his younger days.

                  I use two Sthil saws for wood cutting. I must have a jug' of oil and properly mixed gas each time, plus tools to fix problems. When done using them I smell like Burt oil and gas. Wouldn't want it on My hunting clothes.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                    If battery operated chainsaws were superior to gas operated ones then that's what people that make a living using chainsaws would use,if scent is a concern wrap it in a plastic bag and cover scent it up,there isn't, to many places that a deer doesn't, travel that trees haven,t been cut, deer are instinct reflexive,they don,t have logic to figure that a gas operated chain has been used and old Gary Devine must be close by. That's my 2 cents worth .
                    @Gary,
                    That's just 6phunter being himself ..hes not in attack mode. Been like that since joined the website.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Battery will be half dead when you really need it, and you'll still need to keep bar oil on hand, which probably will end up leaking out anyway.
                      If a tree blocks the road just walk the rest of the way in.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Get a small gas powered saw and stow it in a roughtote. Just my 2¢.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                          Battery will be half dead when you really need it, and you'll still need to keep bar oil on hand, which probably will end up leaking out anyway.
                          If a tree blocks the road just walk the rest of the way in.
                          Fitch, No problem blocking the road going in. I worry more about coming out. I can't call triple A for a tree in the road problem.
                          I will buy multiple batteries. Trust Me.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rockhound View Post
                            Father-in- law got a Kobalt from Lowes. He is very happy with it. Father-in- law logged for a living in his younger days.

                            I use two Sthil saws for wood cutting. I must have a jug' of oil and properly mixed gas each time, plus tools to fix problems. When done using them I smell like Burt oil and gas. Wouldn't want it on My hunting clothes.
                            Bingo Rockhound!
                            That's what I'm talking about!
                            Bears can smell ten times better then a bloodhound or a deer.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                              I have to say I am deeply leery and suspicious of electric chainsaws. I would advise you to get a gas one and put it in a case and the case in bag. Then if you're still concerned put old wool or shipping blankets over the bag.

                              If you're going to go electric, you might as well go with the one that had the highest power output for the longest time. I still think you'll be disappointed, but that's MHO
                              Buckshot, if you read the link I posted under Milldawg's comment, it amazing what they can do.
                              My leaf blower is battery operated. Works a long period, it's clean and it works like a charm. ?

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                              Right Rail 1 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Right Rail 3 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X