Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody use a gear list on what to bring for a hunting trip? Even a list of things to bring with you for a one day hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody use a gear list on what to bring for a hunting trip? Even a list of things to bring with you for a one day hunt?

When I pulled my T/C Encore out of the gun case for my opening day black powder hunt I realized I forgot my gun sling. I had to make a sling out of a strong string from my misc. bag.
    Attached Files

A what?

Ah yes, a gear list. Yes I often use lists, made myself or off the internet, to prepare for fishing/camping etc. Somehow I still manage to forget things.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
      A what?

Ah yes, a gear list. Yes I often use lists, made myself or off the internet, to prepare for fishing/camping etc. Somehow I still manage to forget things.
      Henry, you are correct so I edit the question so it's easier to understand. Thanks +1
      I need a list to remind me. Thirty years ago, my little brother hunted in his sneakers because he forgot his hunting boots. There was also one inch of snow on the ground. His feet were cold that day. Big Mistake.
      My cousin forgot his sleeping bag for a three day weekend of hunting and camping out in tents. Another Blunder.

Comment

A what?

Hey Natalie, what happen to profile photo? It disappeared during the spam cleanup.

Comment

A what?

they completely shut down the sites while they were cleaning the spam. that was a massive, automated attack, hope it does not happen again.

Comment

A what?

Jimbo, automated attack? That makes sense. I was thinking it was group of people doing the spamming but it was coming in more officiant.

Comment

It depends.
              On a day to day basis, no, but mostly because I keep my backpack packed and ready to go with everything I'll need on an early season archery hunt and I get showered and dressed, grab my pack and my bow (and I keep my release attached to my bow), and I'm out the door. Snacks and water bottle are the only thing that really get checked and refreshed. All of the odds and ends that go into my pockets are in my pockets every day so no change in routine there.
              In colder weather I'll put more time into thinking it through and making sure layers and handwarmers and such are present and in good shape. This sometimes goes against a checklist.
              If I'm heading out rifle hunting, particularly to camp which is hours away, I go back to an all inclusive checklist which gets down to the level of AMMUNITION!

Comment

I generally leave a backback filled 24/7/365 with all the basic gear I would need during a hunt. This works great for my current bowhunting, since I generally hunt for an hour or two every morning before work. Throw on some camo, put on my backpack, and pick up my bow and I'm ready to go. No time wasted. As for an actual gear list, no. Not unless I will be hunting for an extended period. I generally hunt on private property, so forgetting something is nothing more than a little extra exercise to walk back to the house.

Comment

I'll make a list for a camping trip, and have before for hunting and fishing, but this year I've just been making a pile on the table in my den. Leading up to opening day, I just go in there whenever I think of something, find the item on the shelves or wherever it is, and add it to the pile. Right now, for example, with fall turkey opening on Saturday, I've got a little pile going with: Turkey tag; pen; zip-ties; orange bandanna (for safety during the carry-out); box of fives; my full-choke tube and choke wrench; and two Paydays (yum). I only use diaphragm calls in the fall and they're already in the zipper pocket of my camo shirt-jac. Now that I'm thinking of it, I realize I have to find my camo neck gaiter/face mask, and also grab a zip-lock bag out of the kitchen drawer (for the heart and giblets). So I kind of have a running list going in part of my head all the time. I'd be more apt to forget something if I made a deliberate effort to write it all out.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                    It depends.
                    On a day to day basis, no, but mostly because I keep my backpack packed and ready to go with everything I'll need on an early season archery hunt and I get showered and dressed, grab my pack and my bow (and I keep my release attached to my bow), and I'm out the door. Snacks and water bottle are the only thing that really get checked and refreshed. All of the odds and ends that go into my pockets are in my pockets every day so no change in routine there.
                    In colder weather I'll put more time into thinking it through and making sure layers and handwarmers and such are present and in good shape. This sometimes goes against a checklist.
                    If I'm heading out rifle hunting, particularly to camp which is hours away, I go back to an all inclusive checklist which gets down to the level of AMMUNITION!
                    Hah, I didn't even notice your comment before posting mine. Funny how similar our answers were.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                      It depends.
                      Great minds.. or minds like ours.

Comment

Not only do I use them, I keep them and have for fifty years. It takes me about an hour to pack and my duffle, carry on and rifle case are packed in order so I know where everything is located. Do not recall forgetting anything or wishing I had brought something in ages. Curse of being well organized.

Comment

I keep a book for camp with things I need to bring as most my hunting things are there. I also check the book for supply items, tools, material or other things camp needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                            Not only do I use them, I keep them and have for fifty years. It takes me about an hour to pack and my duffle, carry on and rifle case are packed in order so I know where everything is located. Do not recall forgetting anything or wishing I had brought something in ages. Curse of being well organized.
                            Happy, Welcome back from your African safari. Do you have any good photos to post from your trip on Outdoor Life?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Hotel guest.
                              by 99explorer
                              A woman is sitting in her hotel room when there is a knock on the door.
                              She opens the door to find a man that she has never seen before.
                              The...
                              Today, 08:41 PM
                            • Plane crash.
                              by 99explorer
                              A passenger plane crashes on the exact border between the U.S. and Canada.
                              Where do they bury the survivors?
                              Today, 03:16 PM
                            • Animals on the ark.
                              by 99explorer
                              How many animals of each species did Moses take on the ark with him?
                              Today, 02:08 PM
                            • The college student puzzle..
                              by 99explorer
                              A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
                              The first station is a mile from home,...
                              Yesterday, 01:58 PM
                            • Pieces of gold.
                              by 99explorer
                              Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                              08-23-2019, 06:45 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X