Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Y'all are Rattling What do you use Real Horn, Plactic Horn or a Rattle Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Y'all are Rattling What do you use Real Horn, Plactic Horn or a Rattle Bad?

I use a Rattle Bag & Estrus Bleats CAN, in the RUT.

I use the bag. Have the horns but they are too bulky.
    I have used the can bleet with little success. The grunt is used to stop a moving deer, or I just stomp my foot if on the ground.

A safety tip I read is to cut off a couple inches of horns so if you fall on them you don't impale yourself.

Comment

I don't know if the quality of the sound is the same with both, but there is much less movement involved using the bag. If visibility (asfar as distance is involved) is a concern, the movement required to rattle horns is easily seen by bucks that sneak in through thick cover or brush. Not all bucks come busting in, and the bigger, smarter ones are always looking, maybe that is why they are bigger, length of life helps in that matter !

Comment

I found a green pair of large fake antlers laying in the woods. They are to big for Jersey. Deer would have a heart attack hearing them banging. They would work better in a Midwest State or Canada with larger bucks.
        I would rather use smaller size real antlers.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
          I found a green pair of large fake antlers laying in the woods. They are to big for Jersey. Deer would have a heart attack hearing them banging. They would work better in a Midwest State or Canada with larger bucks.
          That's a good one. I saw one a couple of years ago where the farmer painted "cow" on his cow, his horse, his truck, his pig, etc., etc.

Comment

Our buck/doe ratio is just far enough out of whack that rattling is pretty much ineffective. Carrying a rattling apparatus would be just one more thing for me to keep up with. I do use a bleat can and a grunt call and do get responses from them---two years ago I got to watch a very nice buck on the side of the hill across from me respond to the grunt call. He came part way, then started off in a different direction. Another grunt changed his mind and brought him on in. Nine point. On the wall.

Comment

I once knew about a Farmer in upper NY State who panted COW on all his Brown cows it made the local papers.....Funny

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                I don't know if the quality of the sound is the same with both, but there is much less movement involved using the bag. If visibility (asfar as distance is involved) is a concern, the movement required to rattle horns is easily seen by bucks that sneak in through thick cover or brush. Not all bucks come busting in, and the bigger, smarter ones are always looking, maybe that is why they are bigger, length of life helps in that matter !
                I use the bag type But i keep them wet a week before the Rut when they dry the sound like the real MaCoy.

Comment

Put me down for the rattle bag.
                  It is just so convenient to use, I can't resist over-using it!

Comment

I aim for the "O"in "COW":-))

Comment

Thanks for the chuckle today.

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
                        Our buck/doe ratio is just far enough out of whack that rattling is pretty much ineffective. Carrying a rattling apparatus would be just one more thing for me to keep up with. I do use a bleat can and a grunt call and do get responses from them---two years ago I got to watch a very nice buck on the side of the hill across from me respond to the grunt call. He came part way, then started off in a different direction. Another grunt changed his mind and brought him on in. Nine point. On the wall.
                        Good for you Old Timer....LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                          Put me down for the rattle bag.
                          It is just so convenient to use, I can't resist over-using it!
                          Me too, fits in a pocket and the CAN in the other;-))

Comment

A co-worker bought a cow last year. Very costly hamburger he didn't get to taste. Coyote vs Cow?

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
                              Thanks, Tree. I made a good lung shot on him, but he dived down what used to be a deep gully before it grew up in small pines and big briars. After I went down and found him, I began to doubt my ability to fight my way back to the top through the briar hells and tangles. Had to go get my younger neighbor to help me and we ended up using the winch on my Jeep along with extra rope to get him out. It took a while and I think we ended up bleeding more than the deer did. My jacket will never be the same and my insulated bibs are still leaking little bits of insulation, no matter how many pieces of camo duct tape I put on them---but I guess that'll be better than a trail of breadcrumbs if I get lost and have to track my way back out.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pieces of gold.
                                by 99explorer
                                Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                                Yesterday, 06:45 PM
                              • Mansion on fire.
                                by 99explorer
                                One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                                It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                                Yesterday, 10:04 AM
                              • Firing squad.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                                This final shot does...
                                08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
                              • Lost in the woods.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                                Two Indians...
                                08-22-2019, 01:24 PM
                              • Books on a shelf.
                                by 99explorer
                                There are several books on a bookshelf.
                                If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                                08-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X