Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you used a folding knife for field dressing game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
    I used a Buck Spitfire to field dress the last two deer I bagged. The deer didn't seem to mind my using a folder, so I reckon I'll continue to do so.
    I really like mine. It gets used for almost everything from cutting net off hay bales to scraping cow pucky off my jeans. Mine is silver(grey?) in color, but the orange would likely be better for woods use.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
      I've never used a folder for field-dressing game because I always considered a fixed-blade knife to be part of my hunting equipment.
      I once met an old-timer while hunting in the Catskill Mountains of New York who told me that he once shot a deer when he had no knife at all on his person.
      He said he flattened the empty cartridge case by pounding in with a rock until it formed an edge along one side. He then honed the edge on a flat stone until it was quite sharp.
      He said he used that as a blade to field dress the deer.
      Believe it or not!
      99,What was the caliber of shell a 105mm?

Comment

@99Explorer,
        I have a similar story. I killed a deer a long ways from home and realized I didn't have a knife with me. Luckily it was archery season and I put 2 and 2 together and realized I could field dress the deer with my broadhead. Worked surprisingly well, just had to be extra careful not to cut myself.
        -I only use a fixed blade knives. Folding blades are too much work to clean.

Comment

Ive done it when I've forgotten my fixed blade but I prefer not too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
            I have two folding Buck knifes, that I always keep nice and sharp.
            I have an old 119 from the '60's and after their move I asked Buck if they would put the double hollow ground edge on my old knife. They said they would not without giving a reason. I figured since they have a sharpening service it would be nothing for them to do that but I guess not.

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
              I have cleaned a number of deer with a Buck 110, and even gutted one with a little Old Timer three blade when I somehow left the Buck at home. I prefer, by far, a fixed blade drop point with a 3.5 to 4" blade, but I don't usually carry one with me for similar reasons to the one TreeStand gave---I can get to a dead deer pretty quickly on my place and take it straight to the cleaning shed at the camp where it is processed, quartered and put on ice to wait for the final butchering. My carry knife is a Benchmade auto opener that I'd have no problem cleaning a deer with, but I have the same problem with cleaning the knife afterward. My favorite fixed blade is a Cold Steel Master Hunter.

A word of caution: When you clean the deer fat off your knife, don't do it by running hot water over it and letting it go down the sink. That fat will quickly re-solidify in your pipes and turn into something resembling a concrete plug. It may take a while, but I can guarantee you plumbing problems over time from deer fat. Use hot water on a paper towel---works well and goes out with the trash.
              Very good tip about cleaning off the deer fat in the sink. Never heard that before.

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
                I have cleaned a number of deer with a Buck 110, and even gutted one with a little Old Timer three blade when I somehow left the Buck at home. I prefer, by far, a fixed blade drop point with a 3.5 to 4" blade, but I don't usually carry one with me for similar reasons to the one TreeStand gave---I can get to a dead deer pretty quickly on my place and take it straight to the cleaning shed at the camp where it is processed, quartered and put on ice to wait for the final butchering. My carry knife is a Benchmade auto opener that I'd have no problem cleaning a deer with, but I have the same problem with cleaning the knife afterward. My favorite fixed blade is a Cold Steel Master Hunter.

A word of caution: When you clean the deer fat off your knife, don't do it by running hot water over it and letting it go down the sink. That fat will quickly re-solidify in your pipes and turn into something resembling a concrete plug. It may take a while, but I can guarantee you plumbing problems over time from deer fat. Use hot water on a paper towel---works well and goes out with the trash.
                I eliminated that problem by having my Deer processed! It takes the Mess out of deer hunting;-))

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                  Over my years of hunting I have used both, folders and fixed blades. I can not really say that I prefer one over the other as far as performance goes, but my preference goes to my fixed blades when it comes to cleaning after use. To me the size of the knife is also one of the important aspects. For elk I like a bit larger knife than for deer, elk blade 3 1/2 inches, handle 5 inches, and deer I find a 2 3/4 inch blade enough. One good thing about my folding blade knife is that it has a saw blade and a rounded tip gutting blade which I miss on the fixed blade. But both knives have been good friends over the years !
                  I quit using a 119 for white tail because I kept nicking myself.

Comment

I'm one of the Buck 110 multitude, and no complaints. I just use it for field-dressing, though. Butchering, I use my Rapala filet knife and sometimes my basic Mora.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                      Over my years of hunting I have used both, folders and fixed blades. I can not really say that I prefer one over the other as far as performance goes, but my preference goes to my fixed blades when it comes to cleaning after use. To me the size of the knife is also one of the important aspects. For elk I like a bit larger knife than for deer, elk blade 3 1/2 inches, handle 5 inches, and deer I find a 2 3/4 inch blade enough. One good thing about my folding blade knife is that it has a saw blade and a rounded tip gutting blade which I miss on the fixed blade. But both knives have been good friends over the years !
                      I like my hand closer to the cutting area and thus I find the shorter blades easier to handle. A longer blade is harder for me to accuratly control where the blade needs to be.

Comment

Yes, I have. On occasion I have forgotten my fixed blade. So I used a folding knife I got from Whitetails unlimited. Did a pretty good job, hard to get all the little bits out of it though.

Comment

I've used my Remington R3 folder for many years now on deer, elk & moose. It's similar to the Buck 110 but also has a second blade with a gut hook saw combination. I agree that cleaning it can be a chore at times but it works just fine for me.
                          I'm leaving on another moose hunt Wednesday so hopefully I'll get to use it again.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Mansion on fire.
                            by 99explorer
                            One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                            It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                            Today, 10:04 AM
                          • Firing squad.
                            by 99explorer
                            A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                            This final shot does...
                            Yesterday, 09:07 PM
                          • Lost in the woods.
                            by 99explorer
                            You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                            One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                            Two Indians...
                            Yesterday, 01:24 PM
                          • Books on a shelf.
                            by 99explorer
                            There are several books on a bookshelf.
                            If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                            08-21-2019, 02:19 PM
                          • Mental arithmetic.
                            by 99explorer
                            A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
                            The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
                            How much does the ball cost?
                            08-21-2019, 11:57 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X