Are You Gearning up for Early Bow Deer Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You Gearning up for Early Bow Deer Season

New Camo Pre-Fall Season Jeans/Shirts, New Bow Or X-Bow, Arrows, Tree Stand,Ground Blind,ThermaCell Bug Repellent, Ladder Stand Safety belt.

10 weeks and two days until Alabama archery season - Oct 14 through Feb 10

220-2-.03 Legal Specifications For Bow And Arrow.
    (1) A legal bow for hunting is defined as either a long bow, a recurve bow, a compound bow or a crossbow.
    (2) It shall be unlawful, except as otherwise provided by law or regulation, for any person to hunt deer and turkey with bow and arrows that are not in conformance with the following specifications:
    (a) Bows must have a minimum peak tension (within the user's normal draw length) of 30 pounds. Crossbows must have a minimum peak tension of 85 pounds at normal draw length.
    (b) Arrows shall be equipped with a broadhead which has a minimum cutting diameter of 7/8 inch and 2 sharpened edges.
    (3) Crossbows must be equipped with a working safety.

Note that you can use a hand thrown spear to take deer in Alabama. It must have a sharpened blade in conformance with the standards for broadheads in paragraph 2(b) of 220-2-.03. This make the Cold Steel Bushman illegal because it only has one sharpened edge.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

(1) A legal bow for hunting is defined as either a long bow, a recurve bow, a compound bow or a crossbow.
      (2) It shall be unlawful, except as otherwise provided by law or regulation, for any person to hunt deer and turkey with bow and arrows that are not in conformance with the following specifications:
      (a) Bows must have a minimum peak tension (within the user's normal draw length) of 30 pounds. Crossbows must have a minimum peak tension of 85 pounds at normal draw length.
      (b) Arrows shall be equipped with a broadhead which has a minimum cutting diameter of 7/8 inch and 2 sharpened edges.

Note that you can use a hand thrown spear to take deer in Alabama. It must have a sharpened blade in conformance with the standards for broadheads in paragraph 2(b) of 220-2-.03. This make the Cold Steel Bushman illegal because it only has one sharpened edge.
      We don't have all them Rules: just some #1 working safety #2 x-Bow must have 300/FPS #3 7/8 " wt 2 cutting edges.

Comment

I remember back during my younger days. The opening day archery season was like a kid waiting for Christmas.
        The Division of F&G took out the trill for bow hunting bucks, now you need to earn a buck tag by shooting a breeder doe first. I am not interested in shooting does in September. A doe is a backup meat source during the later hunting seasons if I fail to bag a buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
          I remember back during my younger days. The opening day archery season was like a kid waiting for Christmas.
          The Division of F&G took out the trill for bow hunting bucks, now you need to earn a buck tag by shooting a breeder doe first. I am not interested in shooting does in September. A doe is a backup meat source during the later hunting seasons if I fail to bag a buck.
          In my neck of the woods a September Doe has not been bred yet,That makes good freezer meat. almost like eating "Veal" mid Oct, starts Pre-Rut in Fl.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
            Shooting does early could help in getting the big buck looking more during rut so don't knock the practice.

Comment

About a month and a week till Eastern NC bow opener. Doves come in a few days before and I'm gonna try to make the opener for that, as well as quail, ducks and bear this year. I got a new bow string a couple months ago and that's about all the archery gear I've bought this year. Gonna be trying my climber on public lands.

Comment

Our season opens Oct. 1st, but I don't hunt much in the first half of the month. No reason to - the hunting only gets better after about the 15th, so why risk burning out your spots?

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
                  About a month and a week till Eastern NC bow opener. Doves come in a few days before and I'm gonna try to make the opener for that, as well as quail, ducks and bear this year. I got a new bow string a couple months ago and that's about all the archery gear I've bought this year. Gonna be trying my climber on public lands.
                  Get you a safety strap! We don't want to lose you OL;-))

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                    Our season opens Oct. 1st, but I don't hunt much in the first half of the month. No reason to - the hunting only gets better after about the 15th, so why risk burning out your spots?
                    I have 4 spots on my lease, just for that reason, I have a Burn-out box blind. to let the others to cool down for a week or so. If i have my 3 deer limit my freezer is full, then it's hog time, The "Other White Meat";-))

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
                      Get the 'Down Safe', not that expensive and it will let you down to the ground in case you slip or fall.

Comment

Tred Barta TV show was hilarious. One episode he practiced running through the woods with a bowie knife in his mouth practicing for wild hogs. I don't know if he ever did that or if he is still alive.
                        http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/best-and-worst-of-tred-barta/episodes/346116/

Comment

Pighunter, do soup kitchens take wild hog donations ?

Comment

Jimbo, as far as I know, no one takes pigs because of the pathogen potential

Comment

Not gearing up for an early season, but definitely starting to gear up for regular archery. I'm thinking I need a X-box package. Either that or I'm going to end up bird hunting for a week!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pieces of gold.
                                by 99explorer
                                Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                                Yesterday, 06:45 PM
                              • Mansion on fire.
                                by 99explorer
                                One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                                It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                                Yesterday, 10:04 AM
                              • Firing squad.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                                This final shot does...
                                08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
                              • Lost in the woods.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                                Two Indians...
                                08-22-2019, 01:24 PM
                              • Books on a shelf.
                                by 99explorer
                                There are several books on a bookshelf.
                                If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                                08-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X