Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What light do you use to get to and from your stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I carry a streamlight 1aaa model flashlight all the time. When I'm hunting or plan to be out past dark I usually carry a headlamp too. My current headlamp is an American made model I picked up at Cabela's off the clearance rack.
    I hunt primarily in the afternoon/evening so if I use a flashlight at all it's when I'm getting close to the road on my way out.

Comment

Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
      Sounds like a good flashlight, but I've never understood camo flashlights(or things like knives, etc.). I'd prefer at the minimum for it to be a color that will stick out if I drop it. I'm also a fan of being patient and waiting for light before moving too deep into the woods. I know some people like getting out there early and risk jumping deer in the dark, but it is not my style. When hunting on my own property I honestly just use the built in white light flashlight on my phone since I would rarely need a light. When I hunt on public land I use a headlight that has a red light. I cant remember the brand off top of my head, but I did shell out a decent amount for it. If you are going to need a light it is definitely worth investing in a good one.
      I have a Gun Show Gift, A Browning Cap Light Clip on 4 lite White press a button two go green ,press the button again all 4 go green,one more time all go white. It takes a watch battery the size of a .$.25 quarter.

Comment

Sounds like a good flashlight, but I've never understood camo flashlights(or things like knives, etc.). I'd prefer at the minimum for it to be a color that will stick out if I drop it. I'm also a fan of being patient and waiting for light before moving too deep into the woods. I know some people like getting out there early and risk jumping deer in the dark, but it is not my style. When hunting on my own property I honestly just use the built in white light flashlight on my phone since I would rarely need a light. When I hunt on public land I use a headlight that has a red light. I cant remember the brand off top of my head, but I did shell out a decent amount for it. If you are going to need a light it is definitely worth investing in a good one.
        Pighunter: I'm often paddling out at night with that cap. The lake I regularly fish for walleye is a network of bays chained together. Great place for a canoe but damned if I don't get lost EVERY time I come out. Friday night I did it again. Didn't get loaded up till 11:20 p.m. The cap's LEDs give just enough light to see what I'm doing. The trail down to the launch is nearly vertical and all ripped up from ATVs and fools trying to get 4x4s down there. The ground is all large round glacial cobble and sand so the trail erosion is awful treacherous. That cap lets me handle carrying canoe up that uneven grade even in pitch dark. Those things don't look like much but by gawd they are wonderful. Always with me too.

Comment

OHH, now that's taking some risk, especially alone. My hunting takeout is a paved boat launch so it's no way as difficult as what you describe. My risk is when it's cold and I'm paddling three miles in the dark after hunting until last light. It's all flat water with about half being in a swamp and the other half on the main river with occasional barge traffic. That's where a really good headlamp with tight beam is handy. Of course I also use clamp on navigation lights.

Comment

OHH, I think your hat light made in the USA is made by Donald Trump.

Comment

If I know the area well or if there's a good amount of moonlight I avoid flashlights. If I have to have one, I started using my "moonbeam" issued to me at boot camp. It will clip to my pack strap or shirt pocket, is indestructible, has a button that can be used for momentary lighting, and has a red lense that I've been told deer can't see.

Comment

OHH. I used to go to a lake that was similar. A lot of bays coming together at angles with not much of a 'main' body. Big creek system dammed. In daylight, not so bad, at night though knowing where you are on that lake, which for the vast majority of it there were no lights or structures visible could be interesting. It's been a while since I'd been there so I doubt they're still good and visible, but after a couple of nights taking the long way back to the launch, the next time I was there I brought some bright eyes tacks with me and laid out a couple of sets on the trees during daylight at certain points of the lake. Really nice to know you're heading towards the right mouth from 600 yards out instead of having to get up in close then paddle around the point to the next one... and then maybe the next one.

Comment

My headlamp is a Cabela's model that I won from this site right here. Yay!! Memories!! I wonder if they still have that captioned picture somewhere? Hilarious!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Strangers meet.
                    by 99explorer
                    A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                    They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                    No identification markers...
                    08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                  • OU football
                    by FirstBubba
                    Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                    The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                    08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
                  • True romance.
                    by 99explorer
                    A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
                    The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
                    08-16-2019, 09:11 AM
                  • A question of standing.
                    by 99explorer
                    A man says to his father, "I'm standing behind you."
                    The father replies, "And I am standing behind you, son."
                    Could this...
                    08-15-2019, 01:59 PM
                  • Cashier problem.
                    by 99explorer
                    You are a cashier and owe a customer $41 change from a $50 bill.
                    You have every denomination of paper currency in the drawer except $1 bills, and...
                    08-14-2019, 03:39 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X