Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What light do you use to get to and from your stand?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What light do you use to get to and from your stand?

    I'm a big fan of Streamlight products. My headlamp, spotlight, and several flashlights were made by Streamlight. I primarily use the headlamp at the lowest setting to get into and out of the woods. The headlamp is placed on the highest setting when I'm canoeing in the swamp at night or when field dressing game in the dark. I've heard though that the white light can spook game. So, I've recently purchased a green light off Amazon to navigate nighttime woods.

    The flashlight is the Streamlight Stylus Pro - Buckmasters edition, with a green LED. It's camo colored in Realtree Hardwoods Green, takes two AAA batteries, and comes with a reversible clip to fix to your pocket or the bill of your cap. You can find the stats on the Amazon site:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002E1AUGM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I tested the Streamlight tonight in the woods next to my house. It was brighter than expected and I could easily see 30 to 40 yards away. In the open it will project a good bit further. I hope this will keep game from spooking just from my light. An added benefit is that the green light helps in keeping night vision.

    So, what light do you use? Does it have white light or is it green or red?
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Sounds like a good flashlight, but I've never understood camo flashlights(or things like knives, etc.). I'd prefer at the minimum for it to be a color that will stick out if I drop it. I'm also a fan of being patient and waiting for light before moving too deep into the woods. I know some people like getting out there early and risk jumping deer in the dark, but it is not my style. When hunting on my own property I honestly just use the built in white light flashlight on my phone since I would rarely need a light. When I hunt on public land I use a headlight that has a red light. I cant remember the brand off top of my head, but I did shell out a decent amount for it. If you are going to need a light it is definitely worth investing in a good one.

    Comment


    • #3
      I like the Trail Blazer head band light,300 lumans, on the way to my stand i use green & red in the stand to settle in. If i switch to white light, Wow Yankee Stadium Light! Amazon $12.75 3/AA Battery made in America!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
        Sounds like a good flashlight, but I've never understood camo flashlights(or things like knives, etc.). I'd prefer at the minimum for it to be a color that will stick out if I drop it. I'm also a fan of being patient and waiting for light before moving too deep into the woods. I know some people like getting out there early and risk jumping deer in the dark, but it is not my style. When hunting on my own property I honestly just use the built in white light flashlight on my phone since I would rarely need a light. When I hunt on public land I use a headlight that has a red light. I cant remember the brand off top of my head, but I did shell out a decent amount for it. If you are going to need a light it is definitely worth investing in a good one.
        I agree with you about not understanding the use of camo on a flashlight or knife. Unfortunately, that was the only option for the green light. The intrinsically safe handheld that I got for work has a bright yellow exterior. So does my headlamp and spotlight. Perhaps I'll paint this one bright orange.

        Comment


        • #5
          I have used the small Pelican lights for years. Now I have an off brand (China) headlight that is for around camp. Complete with optinal extra power batteries. I can charge at camp on in the car. Way more light than I need. I also lhave a hat with the brim light that I use on occasion.
          Going to stand is usually about dawn so just lights on ATV. My stand has the most opportunity for a deer around 9:15 to 9:30. I get 75% of my deer at that time. I catch them going from area farms to their bedding area on my place.

          Comment


          • #6
            Many nods to those against owning small camo gear. It gets frustrating fast, I don't have much anymore because I no longer buy them, and they inevitably get lost.

            Lights. I generally have off the rack Panasonic or energizer headlamps. The latest versions still come in under $25, have a red setting, and have ALL THE LUMENS on their high settings.

            The flash in my pocket all the time, including right now sitting at my desk, is a streamlight Protac 2aaa. It does sometimes get pressed into service heading in to a hunt, but though I might get started a little early, by the time I near my stand there's generally just enough light to navigate by and climb. If I'm behind my place, I don't often use a light.
            I have a couple of both the 2aaa and 1aaa protac's between me and the wife and kids. Great lights, been going strong for years now to the point that mine are missing a lot of the powdercoat. I have a couple of streamlight weaponlights as well. They make good gear and are headquartered a few miles from where I'm sitting, though I've never had to use their customer service department other than to order a couple of spare pocket clips.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
              Sounds like a good flashlight, but I've never understood camo flashlights(or things like knives, etc.). I'd prefer at the minimum for it to be a color that will stick out if I drop it. I'm also a fan of being patient and waiting for light before moving too deep into the woods. I know some people like getting out there early and risk jumping deer in the dark, but it is not my style. When hunting on my own property I honestly just use the built in white light flashlight on my phone since I would rarely need a light. When I hunt on public land I use a headlight that has a red light. I cant remember the brand off top of my head, but I did shell out a decent amount for it. If you are going to need a light it is definitely worth investing in a good one.
              I don't deer hunt from a stand but I do have to set up my decoys in the dark. I prefer the LED lights in bill of my camo baseball cap. The one I have now has two pairs of lights: a pair in the edge of the brim facing forward and one pair half way back the underside facing down about forty-five degrees. A push button switch in the bill allows me to turn on either or both pairs of lights. I use all four lights when walking in the dark and it works fine. Even in Montana when after a day in the field hunting pheasants I'm sometimes walking out to the vehicle a couple of miles after dark. Two NiCd batteries about 3/4 the size of a quarter fit in a flat box inside the headband. I never notice its there. Batteries last more than one season easily. This cap/light is the bee's knees for setting up decoys which requires both hands. Formerly I had to hold a flashlight between my legs. I DO NOT like having to fiddle with headlamps. Been there done that. Most of them put out a lot more light than is needed anyway. The cap also works great for working under the hood in the dark or plumbing under the sink. Best part is I bought it from Walmart for twelve bucks ... and, believe it or not, it's made in America!!! Must be the only thing in the whole store that's not imported from China. No worries about setting down this light and losing it ... I'm never without my cap these days, especially when in the field.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                I have used the small Pelican lights for years. Now I have an off brand (China) headlight that is for around camp. Complete with optinal extra power batteries. I can charge at camp on in the car. Way more light than I need. I also lhave a hat with the brim light that I use on occasion.
                Going to stand is usually about dawn so just lights on ATV. My stand has the most opportunity for a deer around 9:15 to 9:30. I get 75% of my deer at that time. I catch them going from area farms to their bedding area on my place.
                Funny My Deer Killing time is 7:15 to 8:15 almost to the minute every year lately?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                  Many nods to those against owning small camo gear. It gets frustrating fast, I don't have much anymore because I no longer buy them, and they inevitably get lost.

                  Lights. I generally have off the rack Panasonic or energizer headlamps. The latest versions still come in under $25, have a red setting, and have ALL THE LUMENS on their high settings.

                  The flash in my pocket all the time, including right now sitting at my desk, is a streamlight Protac 2aaa. It does sometimes get pressed into service heading in to a hunt, but though I might get started a little early, by the time I near my stand there's generally just enough light to navigate by and climb. If I'm behind my place, I don't often use a light.
                  I have a couple of both the 2aaa and 1aaa protac's between me and the wife and kids. Great lights, been going strong for years now to the point that mine are missing a lot of the powdercoat. I have a couple of streamlight weaponlights as well. They make good gear and are headquartered a few miles from where I'm sitting, though I've never had to use their customer service department other than to order a couple of spare pocket clips.
                  Yep, usually I stay away from camo lights and knives but that was the only finish available for the green LED model. It may get painted bright orange.

                  I like the Protac series and they look very similar in size to the Stylus. Since you carry a flashlight in your pocket every day, have you checked out the Streamlight MicroStream with one AAA battery? It's got smoother surfaces than the Protac. I keep a MicroStream in my emergency kit for a back-up light when in the woods. Also, PigHuntress always has a MicroStream in her purse.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                    I have used the small Pelican lights for years. Now I have an off brand (China) headlight that is for around camp. Complete with optinal extra power batteries. I can charge at camp on in the car. Way more light than I need. I also lhave a hat with the brim light that I use on occasion.
                    Going to stand is usually about dawn so just lights on ATV. My stand has the most opportunity for a deer around 9:15 to 9:30. I get 75% of my deer at that time. I catch them going from area farms to their bedding area on my place.
                    I hunt public land woods along travel routes. The best times for catching a large buck unawares is at first light and again at midday. Otherwise, they seem to stay hidden. So, I often started walking from the vehicle at least an hour before sunrise in order to get into position. That paid off in spades one morn a couple of years ago when a sounder of pigs appeared at first legal light. I was a 1/2 mile in and was leaning against a tree when they travelled through, coming from a food plot several hundred yards away. I killed the two largest ones right there, 30 minutes before sunrise. Since it was cool, I decided to wait for field dressing and see if deer would come by. Sure enough, about 9am here comes two deer and I dropped one of them just 40 yards from where the dead pigs were on the ground. On that property it pays to be in position before sunrise.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
                      Sounds like a good flashlight, but I've never understood camo flashlights(or things like knives, etc.). I'd prefer at the minimum for it to be a color that will stick out if I drop it. I'm also a fan of being patient and waiting for light before moving too deep into the woods. I know some people like getting out there early and risk jumping deer in the dark, but it is not my style. When hunting on my own property I honestly just use the built in white light flashlight on my phone since I would rarely need a light. When I hunt on public land I use a headlight that has a red light. I cant remember the brand off top of my head, but I did shell out a decent amount for it. If you are going to need a light it is definitely worth investing in a good one.
                      OHH, I know what you mean about always having a cap! My bald spot keeps growing and I've started cutting my own hair with clippers and a #3 attachment. I've never used a cap with built-in lights but it sounds like you found a good one. My headlamp necessarily needs to be bright on those occasions when I'm paddling out of the swamp back to the boat landing well after sunset. The new handheld green light is strictly for land.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                        Many nods to those against owning small camo gear. It gets frustrating fast, I don't have much anymore because I no longer buy them, and they inevitably get lost.

                        Lights. I generally have off the rack Panasonic or energizer headlamps. The latest versions still come in under $25, have a red setting, and have ALL THE LUMENS on their high settings.

                        The flash in my pocket all the time, including right now sitting at my desk, is a streamlight Protac 2aaa. It does sometimes get pressed into service heading in to a hunt, but though I might get started a little early, by the time I near my stand there's generally just enough light to navigate by and climb. If I'm behind my place, I don't often use a light.
                        I have a couple of both the 2aaa and 1aaa protac's between me and the wife and kids. Great lights, been going strong for years now to the point that mine are missing a lot of the powdercoat. I have a couple of streamlight weaponlights as well. They make good gear and are headquartered a few miles from where I'm sitting, though I've never had to use their customer service department other than to order a couple of spare pocket clips.
                        I might have misspoke when I called the microstream a protac 1aaa.
                        My wife and daughters each have one in their purses. My wife is amused that hers gets compliments when she breaks it out and that people are even more surprised when a woman has a light at all.

                        Regarding the smoother profile. I had a couple of lights early on that were slimmer pen profiles. A pair of 4seven prions come to mind. I looked for something a bit gnarlier while still being compact because the smooth slimline stuff would eventually work its way out of my pockets. I tried heavy rubber bands, a band of duct tape, different clips in an effort to keep the things from sliding out unnoticed. From a carry standpoint, I kind of like the slimmer bezels. But its all for naugh when a not entirely cheap flashlight falls out of your pocket unnoticed as you get in or out of your truck.

                        As far as backups, the protac is my primary with a headlamp shoved in my pack (unless it's on my head heading out on a hunt first thing) as a secondary. And then the cell phone has one that I've never used other than to see that it works and check what the run time would be.. and depending what boomstick I have with me their might be a fourth.. or if I have my work bag it has a really cheap $5 penlight shoved in it JIC.

                        I may be afraid of the dark. It's been so long since I've been without a light or three I forget.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Lights are one thing I've never really given much thought to. Whatever little flashlight I happen to have handy is what I use. Most of my hunting doesn't really require lights, since both the family woods and my preferred patch of state land are only a few minutes from my house, and even in spring turkey season, I can time it so I'm arriving when just that first bit of gray light is starting to show in the sky and I can walk in well enough without a light. It helps that in all cases, I've got old logging trails and then some easy-to-see footpaths. I used to always head in well before sunup during deer season, but once I figured out what the deer generally do on our property, and that their patterns don't change much from year to year, I just make sure I'm sitting in one of my preferred spots by the time legal shooting hours begin. By now all my hunting relatives and I pretty much know what everyone else likes to do and where everyone will be. Works out pretty well. But getting back to lights, I do carry an Energizer headlamp in my pack if I'm hunting the afternoon. Just a Walmart cheapie that works well enough.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                            Lights are one thing I've never really given much thought to. Whatever little flashlight I happen to have handy is what I use. Most of my hunting doesn't really require lights, since both the family woods and my preferred patch of state land are only a few minutes from my house, and even in spring turkey season, I can time it so I'm arriving when just that first bit of gray light is starting to show in the sky and I can walk in well enough without a light. It helps that in all cases, I've got old logging trails and then some easy-to-see footpaths. I used to always head in well before sunup during deer season, but once I figured out what the deer generally do on our property, and that their patterns don't change much from year to year, I just make sure I'm sitting in one of my preferred spots by the time legal shooting hours begin. By now all my hunting relatives and I pretty much know what everyone else likes to do and where everyone will be. Works out pretty well. But getting back to lights, I do carry an Energizer headlamp in my pack if I'm hunting the afternoon. Just a Walmart cheapie that works well enough.
                            Sounds like a good setup. Looking forward to seeing some of your harvest pics this coming season.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I use a Black Diamond headlamp. Can't remember the model now, but it was on of their cheaper ones. I like it a lot; very bright, and offers multiple brightness settings, as well as a red light. The only thing I don't like is that the on-off switch is pretty sensitive, and it sometimes comes on in my pack. That's annoying.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                              Right Rail 1 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Pieces of gold.
                                by 99explorer
                                Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                                Yesterday, 06:45 PM
                              • Mansion on fire.
                                by 99explorer
                                One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                                It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                                Yesterday, 10:04 AM
                              • Firing squad.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                                This final shot does...
                                08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
                              • Lost in the woods.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                                Two Indians...
                                08-22-2019, 01:24 PM
                              • Books on a shelf.
                                by 99explorer
                                There are several books on a bookshelf.
                                If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                                08-21-2019, 02:19 PM

                              Right Rail 3 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X