Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Your Take Using Drones For Scooting From Your Tree Stand/Ground Blinde?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Your Take Using Drones For Scooting From Your Tree Stand/Ground Blinde?

Deer & Elk Guides in Western States Do for Population and Zip Code!!!

Not sure I fully understand the question....originally answered but realized it probably wasn't answering the correct question so editing it.

Comment

If DNR uses drones to manage wildlife ,more power to them. Anything to actively help in the preservation and quality of game management . Hunters and guides I think not, what ever happen to fair chase! It becomes very close to the high fences hunting. Good old fashion hard leg work and scouting. Glass time and hours knowing your hunting grounds makes it hunting but drones turn hunting into a Video game. I'll pick a guide based on reputation and try my luck. If I don't come out successful , oh well! It's hunting not killing. Key word here fair chase. Good question Treestand

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
        If DNR uses drones to manage wildlife ,more power to them. Anything to actively help in the preservation and quality of game management . Hunters and guides I think not, what ever happen to fair chase! It becomes very close to the high fences hunting. Good old fashion hard leg work and scouting. Glass time and hours knowing your hunting grounds makes it hunting but drones turn hunting into a Video game. I'll pick a guide based on reputation and try my luck. If I don't come out successful , oh well! It's hunting not killing. Key word here fair chase. Good question Treestand
        PMACC60, Lets Face it, It's not going away It's a Great Tool with "New Horizons" It's up to You & others on how it used, Most of us on OL & F&S are old school with skills we learned the hard way. Remember When Scopes were New to the sport(1949) fast track to posts on F&S with young hunters asking what's the best place to hunt deer? Best caliber for deer, will a 243 kill deer? NO Skills, We are in the FAST TRACK AGE;-((

Comment

Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
          Not sure I fully understand the question....originally answered but realized it probably wasn't answering the correct question so editing it.
          Their are some Western Guide Services that use Drone to Scout for Game Elk/Deer for a Customers Is it right ?? It's a Money Game$ Will it be used in our Hunting Fields ?? maybe by some?

Comment

Resonded to this question on the F&S site. My response has not changed, still think it is too far from the ethical way of hunting !

Comment

No hunting the day a drone is used for scouting.
              I believe in fair chase - makes the game smarter.

Comment

I just made a real long answer on F&S so am not going to repeat it all here. I will start checking this site first from now on as I'm starting to favor this one, though not sure why.

Comment

It would be cool to send a drone in to check my bear bait weather more food is needed. It takes me 45 minutes to walk in to my bear hot spot. I bet a drone could get there in 5 minutes.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Semi complicated. At first it appeared you meant while hunting. We have laws on the books regarding electronic communication between hunters for the purpose of relaying game movements. I suspect it would run foul of that and leave a grimy feel as far as I'm concerned.

In the interest of checking your bait stations... I don't see a problem. If I can have a camera recording all the time, sending a drone overhead repeatedly, which takes time and involves risk of loss, I don't see the difference. From a practical standpoint one of the cell based camera setups probably makes more sense, will alert you whenever there's any activity, and not risk losing a drone in the woods well away from you. I'm not sure where the cost comparison falls.

Comment

It's kind of like other methods I don't use myself. I won't condemn anyone doing anything that's legal, but I don't mind saying that I wish a lot of things had never come along. Drones are one thing that I REALLY wish had never come along. I think they're an "advancement" that is in a whole other arena than what we've seen before. A drone isn't just a personal hand-held device; it's something noticeable and possibly disruptive (or at least irritating) to others in the woods. I also think a drone tarnishes the "fair chase" creed in ways that scopes, range-finders, trail-cams, etc. do not. I think that if they come into common use, the farthest it should go is what jhjimbo suggests: Use the drone for scouting, but no actual hunting the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                        Semi complicated. At first it appeared you meant while hunting. We have laws on the books regarding electronic communication between hunters for the purpose of relaying game movements. I suspect it would run foul of that and leave a grimy feel as far as I'm concerned.

In the interest of checking your bait stations... I don't see a problem. If I can have a camera recording all the time, sending a drone overhead repeatedly, which takes time and involves risk of loss, I don't see the difference. From a practical standpoint one of the cell based camera setups probably makes more sense, will alert you whenever there's any activity, and not risk losing a drone in the woods well away from you. I'm not sure where the cost comparison falls.
                        Brother JC, Thanks for the support on checking my bait stations.
                        Many times I rolled my game cart in, loaded with food and the bait still had plenty of food still remaining.
                        I dumped it instead of taking the food back to my SUV.
                        I hunt public land so I go in deep to get away from the other hunters.
                        +1

Comment

Just remember this fellas. If hunters can legally fly drones during hunting season, then anti- hunters will too. And you know what disruptive damage a drone in the wrong hands can do.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post

I've read your posts on both sites for years Gary. I'm always impressed with the amount of effort you put into it yearly. Particularly for a guy who's so fond of cats. : )

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                              Just remember this fellas. If hunters can legally fly drones during hunting season, then anti- hunters will too. And you know what disruptive damage a drone in the wrong hands can do.
                              Funny you say that.
                              One spot I archery hunt I've fairly regularly seen a Large RC plane and occasionally a quad copter going overhead and they appear to be going over it in a grid. At first I half expected some BS to occur either shortly thereafter or when I hiked off the mountain/hill to my truck, but no kind of contact has ever followed.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sisters.
                                by 99explorer
                                Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                                How...
                                Today, 09:32 AM
                              • Rice for sale.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                                He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                                He soon becomes...
                                08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
                              • Strangers meet.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                                No identification markers...
                                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                              • OU football
                                by FirstBubba
                                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
                              • True romance.
                                by 99explorer
                                A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
                                The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
                                08-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X