Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best all around backpack for both hunting and long distance backpacking (5-7 days)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best all around backpack for both hunting and long distance backpacking (5-7 days)?

Last year I went on a weekend back packing trip. On the trip I had noticed that my cheep $60 pack wouldn't cut it for any longer than a weekend trip. I am also hoping to do an elk hunt in a few years and am wondering what would be the best pack for both activities for under $300.00. I went to the local big box sporting goods store and have heard mixed reviews about external and internal frame packs. Any suggestions on the topic or capacity would be great!

If you want one pack to purchase for all of your excursions gather all of the gear you plan to take and start from there. If you can get rid of supplies or minimalize do so. I would suggest a 50 litre or so pack as a starting point. Internal vs. external depends on what you may need to attach to your pack. Also depends on how many packs will be involved in your group.

Comment

I'm picky about my backpacks. Maybe a suggestion, go to the stores and really look at them and compare as many as you can. Think of what stuff you will stick in it and if it will fit also try it on so it feels comfortable. If it doesn't feel comfy then I wouldn't even think of it. If you find one get the name and product number look it up on the internet to check out the reviews on what other are saying about it. You might also find it cheaper.

Comment

I've always used a surplus large ALICE pack, with or without the frame depending on how much I was packing. They're indestructible, spacious, and will probably run you about sixty to ninety bucks. Really, though, a backpack is like a lot of other pieces of outdoor gear: It's all personal preference. It took me a few years to decide just what kind of pack felt the best, and still felt good after a few hours (or a few days) of hiking.

Comment

What constitutes the "best" pack is highly subjective, and depends on your specific needs. I would personally recommend an internal frame pack, although external frame ones work, and some people prefer them. My number one piece of advice is make sure you get a big enough pack. You don't have to fill it full, but trying to cram that last gotta-have-it item into a too-small pack is a PITA.

I have an Easton Outfitter Fullbore 5600, and I like it. Took it elk hunting last fall, and it held up great to 5 days of packpacking in the wilderness. It's very large (91 liters), and you can put more stuff in it than most people can carry. I had about 50 pounds, and could've put more in. But it's designed in such a way that it rides very well even when you don't have much stuff in it, unlike some large packs, which feel like you're wearing a tent on your back when they're mostly empty. I was wondering how a sub-$100 pack would work, but I've been impressed with it.

Whatever you decide to get, I'd strongly recommend going to an outdoors retailer like Cabelas or Gander Mountain, where you can try on various packs before making your final decision. You want something that feels comfortable, and the only way to test that out is by wearing it. What works for you might not for someone else, and vice-versa.

Comment

I am in the market for a big backpack also, for lugging in bear bait a long distance.
            Good Luck!
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm going to just give the nod to the above answers. It's highly subjective. On an overnight or as a hunting daypack I have a med sized internal frame that sometimes gets the nod, but for the most part my old stand by external frame pack goes on my backpack trips. I'm generally on at least semi maintained trails if 'packing and I find the external frames to be more comfortable and easier to expand by strapping gear to the outside..
              but that's me in my normal use.
              I've tried internal frames with weights over 60lbs and I feel like I'm being ridden by a baboon all day.
              Purchasing from some place that allows you to try loading up your gear in shop, or that you can take home and return in a day or so after you've given it a try isn't a bad suggestion.

Comment

I think if you google around a bit you'll find many "Best all around Backpack" reviews, it's hard to know which one you refer to. I found this for example which might be helpful:

Comment

Spending time with friends and/or family in nature has many benefits for the body. Not only the mountain but also the sea are two of the most common destinations. Regardless of the season, whenever we have the right equipment at hand, we can go anywhere. On global backpacks are of different types for hiking that are all useful. Very quickly, I found a significant and roomy backpack. What I just asked was that I want the mountain, and they were all giants.
                  Last edited by azikormaz; 07-22-2021, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Burds
                    by Amflyer
                    Still day, overcast, family gone for a visit for the week. So , hopped in the kayak and did some slow paddlin' to get close to birds....wish I bought...
                    07-28-2021, 09:26 PM
                  • Cabela’s / Bass Pro promo
                    by fitch270
                    This came in the mail a few days ago, at first I wasn’t surprised by it as we haven’t purchased much of anything since the merger. We also canceled...
                    07-26-2021, 08:03 PM
                  • Top three. (3)
                    by FirstBubba
                    We all have our favorites.

First favorite!
                    What is your favorite species of fish to eat?
                    1. my favorite is Pacific cod. clean,...
                    07-25-2021, 09:36 PM
                  • Not a crappy crappie dinner
                    by fitch270
                    The plan was to have a fish fry while camping this weekend even if it meant stooping to smallish bluegills and perch. The goal was for the Kid and I to...
                    07-25-2021, 01:36 PM
                  • Right now
                    by fitch270
                    07-24-2021, 10:45 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X