Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am planning on going on my first CO elk hunt this fall, so I'm in the market for some good rain gear. My whitetail hunting stuff isn't going to get it done at 10,000 feet. Anyone have any recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
    Is this an early bow hunt or rifle hunt?
    I have been out there at the beginning of Sept; treated to nearly 100 degrees one day and freezing rain and snow the next, which is why I prefer a high-quality poncho to a rain suit. A good poncho can be used to construct all kinds of shelter and if you're carrying a pack when the weather turns the poncho can shield it too.
    However, if the weather is going to be measured on the shitty scale, then a rain suit is necessary.
    I have a lot of experience with all manner of "breathable" gear. Personally, I have come to the conclusion it is just marketing ploy. Take any gear you have that is supposed to be breathable and pool water on inside. Does it run through to the outside? Didn't think so, the same thing will happen with perspiration.
    When the rain and snow have come down while wearing that breathable stuff I have gotten quite wet and cold whereas while wearing the type Tyler recommends I have stayed dry and comfortable.
    For the most part, CO is more of an arid state, so my poncho served me well on all my hunts there.
    Charley, only vapor goes through, water molecules are too big.
    Best to wear the first layer of some good wicking material. Outer layers get wet but you stay comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
      What have your brothers been using?
      One used Cabela's Rain Suede last time, and liked it. The other used a cheaper off-brand suit and didn't. I think I'm going with Rivers West. They have really good reviews, and are in my price range if I buy directly from the factory.

Comment

I have been out there at the beginning of Sept; treated to nearly 100 degrees one day and freezing rain and snow the next, which is why I prefer a high-quality poncho to a rain suit. A good poncho can be used to construct all kinds of shelter and if you're carrying a pack when the weather turns the poncho can shield it too.
        However, if the weather is going to be measured on the shitty scale, then a rain suit is necessary.
        I have a lot of experience with all manner of "breathable" gear. Personally, I have come to the conclusion it is just marketing ploy. Take any gear you have that is supposed to be breathable and pool water on inside. Does it run through to the outside? Didn't think so, the same thing will happen with perspiration.
        When the rain and snow have come down while wearing that breathable stuff I have gotten quite wet and cold whereas while wearing the type Tyler recommends I have stayed dry and comfortable.
        For the most part, CO is more of an arid state, so my poncho served me well on all my hunts there.
        Mine is a brown camo made by Sea to Summit sold through llBean that I have used for 15 years. They don't seem to make this one in camo anymore. If you search for "tarp poncho" you'll find all manner of survival sites demonstrating methods to use the poncho for shelter and the sites that sell them. Just don't buy a real cheap one. I also have a rain suit that is rubber with a nylon shell; it has kept me dry in very harsh conditions. Also, it's substantial enough to wear through briar patches here. Those thin, lightweight rain suits with all the marketing hype have never lasted more that a few weeks and at 10K feet on the rainy side of a mountain, anywhere, you'll be soaked in short order.

Comment

@JHP, Whenever I have climbed a mountain to 10K my sweat was not vapor. As a result, I have concluded breathable fabrics don't keep you dry.
          In damp conditions, I wear wicking fabrics and just skip the rain gear. When the rain picks up the poncho goes on; it allows airflow for drying. If it seriously rains, then I use a real rain suit.
          Also, consider when one is that high up many times the mountain is shrouded in clouds. What is the main ingredient in clouds or fog? You got it; breathable rain gear does not keep you dry.

Comment

Forget all this sensible advice you have been given huntfishtrap. The cardinal rule of attiring oneself is looking good and feeling good. If you don't have style it is like a domino effect, you lose confidence and your shooter skills will suffer. By all means, check out the various options but check yourself out in the mirror before making the final choice.
            Charlie Elk knows me to be a regular fashion guru in the field. Some of us can make a turkey vest look good especially when you can accessorize with one of those very cool tight pattern shotgun chokes. On a recent hunt with Charlie Elk, I believe I was mistaken in trying to hide from those turkeys. My totally suave outfit could have stopped them in mid strut just long enough to smack 'em with a load of #6 shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
              Forget all this sensible advice you have been given huntfishtrap. The cardinal rule of attiring oneself is looking good and feeling good. If you don't have style it is like a domino effect, you lose confidence and your shooter skills will suffer. By all means, check out the various options but check yourself out in the mirror before making the final choice.
              Charlie Elk knows me to be a regular fashion guru in the field. Some of us can make a turkey vest look good especially when you can accessorize with one of those very cool tight pattern shotgun chokes. On a recent hunt with Charlie Elk, I believe I was mistaken in trying to hide from those turkeys. My totally suave outfit could have stopped them in mid strut just long enough to smack 'em with a load of #6 shot.
              Sound advice, Kody. I wonder if that would also work on elk? It would really make things simpler if I could just walk up to an elk because it was transfixed by how stylish my raingear was.

Comment

@Kody,
                I have to admit that I am sort of guilty of all of that. My favorite brand for hunting clothing is under armour because of the fit....I hate baggy hunting clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  What have your brothers been using?
                  Let me know how you like the Rivers West; they must do something special to provide a lifetime guarantee on rainwear! I went to the heavier more solid stuff because I tired of spending $3-400 each season and still having to hunt while soaking wet.

Comment

Well, hft, you could try that kilt; that would probably be a real show stopper or, rather, elk stopper. Bet those elk haven't seen many skirts, I mean kilts in their days. Even the celebrity huntresses wear manly camo.

Comment

Not a bad idea. Might get a tad chilly if a snowstorm happens to pop up, though. But I guess that's what leggings are for, lol.

Comment

Everybody made good rain gear suggestions already.

My only advice is, you need to walk up and down the high school bleachers everyday.
                        Walk at least three miles a day.
                        You need to be in your best 'Rambo' type condition to hunt the Rockies, at ten thousand feet. The thin air out there, makes it harder to breath after climbing up a steep incline.
                        Good Luck, Gary

Comment

Here's another vote for using a camo poncho.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Firing squad.
                            by 99explorer
                            A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                            This final shot does...
                            Today, 09:07 PM
                          • Lost in the woods.
                            by 99explorer
                            You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                            One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                            Two Indians...
                            Today, 01:24 PM
                          • Books on a shelf.
                            by 99explorer
                            There are several books on a bookshelf.
                            If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                            Yesterday, 02:19 PM
                          • Mental arithmetic.
                            by 99explorer
                            A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
                            The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
                            How much does the ball cost?
                            Yesterday, 11:57 AM
                          • The new king.
                            by 99explorer
                            The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                            Now the twins are adults...
                            08-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X