Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am planning on going on my first CO elk hunt this fall, so I'm in the market for some good rain gear. My whitetail hunting stuff isn't going to get it done at 10,000 feet. Anyone have any recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am planning on going on my first CO elk hunt this fall, so I'm in the market for some good rain gear. My whitetail hunting stuff isn't going to get it done at 10,000 feet. Anyone have any recommendations?

I am planning on going on my first CO elk hunt this fall, so I'm in the market for some good rain gear. My whitetail hunting stuff isn't going to get it done at 10,000 feet. Anyone have any recommendations?

Hah, want to borrow my elevation training mask? Haven't used that thing in ages. What method are you doing this hunt? Family live there, guided, just taking a trip with someone? What area of CO? Sure you even need high quality rain gear? I would suggest the lightest possible rain gear as an outer layer. I've never been a fan of the "waterproof" or rain proof clothing or whatever. Maybe get something like the Cabela's space rain pants/jacket? Really don't have personal experience with them, but looking over Cabela's website and at the reviews looks like it would work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
      Hah, want to borrow my elevation training mask? Haven't used that thing in ages. What method are you doing this hunt? Family live there, guided, just taking a trip with someone? What area of CO? Sure you even need high quality rain gear? I would suggest the lightest possible rain gear as an outer layer. I've never been a fan of the "waterproof" or rain proof clothing or whatever. Maybe get something like the Cabela's space rain pants/jacket? Really don't have personal experience with them, but looking over Cabela's website and at the reviews looks like it would work for you.
      I think your mask would kill me right now, haha. I'm just starting to train - running the flats and walking hills. I am in good shape by most standards, but I'm not ready for mountain climbing. It's a DIY backpack hunt in the White River National Forest area. Anywhere from 7-11,000 feet. Will probably be hiking in 3 or 4 miles from the vehicle to the base camp, and then another mile or two to get to the elk - if they're where they should be. I'm going with my 2 brothers, who have been out there twice already. According to them, good rain gear is a must in that area - it could rain and/or snow every day. I'm not 100% sure that I will actually be buying a tag and hunting myself; might just be going along as a photographer/videographer. Having 3 guys with tags is kind of overkill on a backpack hunt, because you're pretty much done after shooting 1 elk anyway. I was looking at the Cabela's Rain Suede jacket and pants, but wasn't sure if I wanted to spend that much. Although that was actually one of the cheaper options.

Comment

@hft,
        Yes, elevation masks can be brutal, but so is going someone with high elevation unprepared. Sounds like a fun hunt. Wish I could join you since it's sort of the thing I've been wanting to do for awhile now. If you aren't going to be hunting I'd just get some basic rain gear, or even a cheap-o poncho. Don't really need to worry about fabric noise anyways if it is raining.

Comment

Wow, is it wrong that I'm a little jealous hft, sounds like one hell of a trip! I've bought Cabelas brand rain gear for a few years now and have always had good luck with them. I have their guidewear series bibs and jackets for fishing and they work great. And for hunting, I got one of their "waterproof" camo jacket and really like it, even worn it out in the rain and stayed dry. You'll probably want something different and much lighter for a mountain elk hunt, but the brand has treated me well so far.

Comment

JM brings up a good point, looking at all the customer reviews on the Cabelas website is a great way to see how good a product is. And for spending money on rain wear or just about any other piece of gear, here's what I've learned. If you go cheaper and get less quality then it will storm the whole trip and you'll wished you spent more and got better. But if you go expensive and buy the best there is then it will be sunny and bone dry during the trip and you won't even use the rain gear. I think it's some variation of Murphy's Law.

Comment

Originally posted by DogSong View Post
              Wow, is it wrong that I'm a little jealous hft, sounds like one hell of a trip! I've bought Cabelas brand rain gear for a few years now and have always had good luck with them. I have their guidewear series bibs and jackets for fishing and they work great. And for hunting, I got one of their "waterproof" camo jacket and really like it, even worn it out in the rain and stayed dry. You'll probably want something different and much lighter for a mountain elk hunt, but the brand has treated me well so far.
              Down there, i think the breathable stuff would be fine, as you're probably not going to have days on end of rain. Personally, I'd just get a set of Helly Hansen impertech, it's way less expensive and actually waterproof, and my ginormous set (bibs and long jacket) only ways a little less than a pound more than sitka

Comment

Down there, i think the breathable stuff would be fine, as you're probably not going to have days on end of rain. Personally, I'd just get a set of Helly Hansen impertech, it's way less expensive and actually waterproof, and my ginormous set (bibs and long jacket) only ways a little less than a pound more than sitka

Comment

@Dogsong, I have noticed that too. There seems to be an inverse relationship between the cost of gear and how badly you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Freel View Post
                    That Helly Hansen stuff looks good, but isn't the lack of breathability an issue? Getting soaked with sweat is just as bad as not having rain gear at all.

Comment

Originally posted by DogSong View Post
                      Thanks, DogSong. I hope it turns out well, I'm looking forward to it. I've been to CO before, but never really made it back into the wilderness.

Comment

Is this an early bow hunt or rifle hunt?
                        I have been out there at the beginning of Sept; treated to nearly 100 degrees one day and freezing rain and snow the next, which is why I prefer a high-quality poncho to a rain suit. A good poncho can be used to construct all kinds of shelter and if you're carrying a pack when the weather turns the poncho can shield it too.
                        However, if the weather is going to be measured on the shitty scale, then a rain suit is necessary.
                        I have a lot of experience with all manner of "breathable" gear. Personally, I have come to the conclusion it is just marketing ploy. Take any gear you have that is supposed to be breathable and pool water on inside. Does it run through to the outside? Didn't think so, the same thing will happen with perspiration.
                        When the rain and snow have come down while wearing that breathable stuff I have gotten quite wet and cold whereas while wearing the type Tyler recommends I have stayed dry and comfortable.
                        For the most part, CO is more of an arid state, so my poncho served me well on all my hunts there.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                          Is this an early bow hunt or rifle hunt?
                          I have been out there at the beginning of Sept; treated to nearly 100 degrees one day and freezing rain and snow the next, which is why I prefer a high-quality poncho to a rain suit. A good poncho can be used to construct all kinds of shelter and if you're carrying a pack when the weather turns the poncho can shield it too.
                          However, if the weather is going to be measured on the shitty scale, then a rain suit is necessary.
                          I have a lot of experience with all manner of "breathable" gear. Personally, I have come to the conclusion it is just marketing ploy. Take any gear you have that is supposed to be breathable and pool water on inside. Does it run through to the outside? Didn't think so, the same thing will happen with perspiration.
                          When the rain and snow have come down while wearing that breathable stuff I have gotten quite wet and cold whereas while wearing the type Tyler recommends I have stayed dry and comfortable.
                          For the most part, CO is more of an arid state, so my poncho served me well on all my hunts there.
                          It's a bow hunt, the end of September/early October, not sure of the exact dates yet. On their last trip to this area, it rained almost every day, but who knows what this year will bring. My experience with breathable raingear has been similar to yours. I think the breathable stuff does help a little bit with not getting sweaty, but at the expense of not being truly 100% waterproof. I've sat in the rain for hours while duck hunting, and the only thing that keeps you dry is plastic or rubber or similar materials. What kind/brand of poncho would you recommend?

Comment

Frogg Toggs. Great stuff and very lightweight and compact for your pack. Maybe not the best thing for brambles, etc. but you shouldn't have much trouble with the vegetation at those altitudes.

Comment

What have your brothers been using?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sisters.
                                by 99explorer
                                Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                                How...
                                Today, 09:32 AM
                              • Rice for sale.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                                He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                                He soon becomes...
                                08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
                              • Strangers meet.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                                No identification markers...
                                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                              • OU football
                                by FirstBubba
                                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
                              • True romance.
                                by 99explorer
                                A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
                                The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
                                08-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X