Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am thinking about getting back into backpacking/camping, after a number of years of not doing it. We'd go camping quite a bit when I was a kid, but for a variety of reasons I haven't gone in probably 7 or 8 years. What are some things a relative be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
    I don't know if anyone is still watching this. I thought I sent an answer to both one of Huntfish and Charlie's comments.
    Charlie, huntfishtrap mentioned using charlieelk.com to exchange contact info.
    Other than getting sucked in to some interesting reading, I failed to find any way to contact you as the webmaster or any such way to do that.
    If that's doable, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you sir.
    All others- good reading there, worth checking out.
    Yeah, even I'm having trouble figuring it out now. Sorry for causing you so much trouble! I don't know if charlie knows of a better way, but you should be able to just leave a comment on his latest post, asking him to email you. That should put you in touch. Here's the link to his last post: http://www.charlieelk.com/2016/hunt-of-a-lifetime-6th-annual-deer-classic/

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
      I don't know if anyone is still watching this. I thought I sent an answer to both one of Huntfish and Charlie's comments.
      Charlie, huntfishtrap mentioned using charlieelk.com to exchange contact info.
      Other than getting sucked in to some interesting reading, I failed to find any way to contact you as the webmaster or any such way to do that.
      If that's doable, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you sir.
      All others- good reading there, worth checking out.
      No trouble at all.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
        A simple truck camp is another option. We use this when for whatever reason a tent setup is not allowed. My preference is to camp where ever the game is, plus it's nice to just wake up and hunt. Productive too. My suggestion is you practice different types of camping for all the different types of hunting.
        I've slept in the back of my old Explorer on overnight fishing trips. Sleeping in the truck has a lot going for it particularly in an SUV or capped pickup where the area is big enough to stretch out. Ease of setup and breaking camp is tough to beat. Comfort is good.

Comment

To us camping by itself is not an activity rather camping is a means to the adventure. Where we pheasant in IA there is no lodging unless you want to commute to and from the hunting location. The first pic is the outside shortly after setting camp. The second is of the cozy inside, Vic likes his creature comforts.:-)
          What tent is that Charlie?

Comment

To us camping by itself is not an activity rather camping is a means to the adventure. Where we pheasant in IA there is no lodging unless you want to commute to and from the hunting location. The first pic is the outside shortly after setting camp. The second is of the cozy inside, Vic likes his creature comforts.:-)
            Cabelas Alaskan, it withstands cold and high winds without failing.

Comment

I recommend this Kelty Redwing 50 Backpack, Got a pair online. Using it to travel to Italy next week on the plane for some hiking at The Kings Trail. My girlfriend has an older model of this same one and I liked his. Color Ponderosa Pine is really cool it is a little darker that what is in the picture but still looks great. Lots of pockets to put stuff in and plenty of room on the inside for clothes and what not and you can use it as a sleeping bag. Check it out at this site:

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                I recommend this Kelty Redwing 50 Backpack, Got a pair online. Using it to travel to Italy next week on the plane for some hiking at The Kings Trail. My girlfriend has an older model of this same one and I liked his. Color Ponderosa Pine is really cool it is a little darker that what is in the picture but still looks great. Lots of pockets to put stuff in and plenty of room on the inside for clothes and what not and you can use it as a sleeping bag. Check it out at this site:
                I use a Kelty 50 when hunting. Would be a little small for anything other than overnight

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                  Good boots is where you start. Don't spare the $$ for your feet. A fancy pack or tent is not really necessary. You can make do with even marginal stuff. But marginal on your feet will be a disaster.
                  OHH, very true!

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                    We used to camp alongside a river or lake quite often when the weather was nice(when a tent and a basic sleeping bag is all you need). Bring some staple snacks, but rely on catching a few fish for meals. Fish is extremely easy to cook, which is a plus. Fun way to spend a don't know what to do type of weekend.
                    Use Deet for the bugs and don't count on having fish. If you strike out you will go hungry.

Comment

Your tent, pack, and sleeping bag are your heaviest items. It's best to spend a little more to get lighter gear.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Firing squad.
                        by 99explorer
                        A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                        This final shot does...
                        Today, 09:07 PM
                      • Lost in the woods.
                        by 99explorer
                        You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                        One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                        Two Indians...
                        Today, 01:24 PM
                      • Books on a shelf.
                        by 99explorer
                        There are several books on a bookshelf.
                        If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                        Yesterday, 02:19 PM
                      • Mental arithmetic.
                        by 99explorer
                        A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
                        The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
                        How much does the ball cost?
                        Yesterday, 11:57 AM
                      • The new king.
                        by 99explorer
                        The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                        Now the twins are adults...
                        08-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X