Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you guys carry a fixed-blade knife regularly while hunting/fishing/hiking? I know a lot of people, including myself, who carry a folder/pocketknife all the time, but I personally don't know anyone who carries a larger knife on a regular b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i carry a gerber prodigy fixed blade and a pocket knife or two daily

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
      I strictly carry a folder. It's a Benchmade automatic opener. Wonderful steel and utterly reliable.
      Country Road, I remember talking about that Benchmade. I've got four Benchmade knives and am very pleased with them!

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
        I carry a 18" bowie knife in case a big foot or a grizzly bear attack. I mean I live in Missouri and have never seen either, but you have to play it safe. I really hope by now you recognize that I'm not being serious.....I actually do carry(sheathed and on belt) a Buck 119 with me sometimes while deer hunting if I am going to be walking a long distance to hunt. I'd call it a fairly large fixed blade knife, but I don't carry it very often. My normal "around the farm" knife is a buck 110. I'm not huge on multitools, but I do carry a leatherman sometimes...just seem too bulky in my hand.
        I like the Buck 119 but the handle can get very slick when wet.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
          I've never worn a big fixed-blade, probably because I'm still embarrassed about coming of age in the Rambo era when those ridiculous survival pigstickers were all the rage. My main hunting knife is a Buck 110 folder, carried in a sheath on my belt, but I did find a nifty little fixed-blade last year at a gun show. It was cheap but the steel is good, and it's full tang; its 2-inch blade is sort of a wide skinning-style blade, and the whole knife is only 5 inches long. Certainly not a self-defense knife, but when I'm hunting I have a gun, and when I'm just roaming around I have a seasoned-maple walking stick. I usually have my old Mora tucked into a vest pocket or in my pack, as well. I do own a couple of big fixed-blades, an old Lone Wolf monstrosity (looks like a mini butcher knife) and a military surplus thing with a black blade and rubber handle. Both stay in my camping packs and generally get used as fire pokers.
          I'm not embarrassed by much and don't feel ashamed at all when carrying a long knife.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
            I don't. Backpacking and camping I tend to have a Kabar Camp knife, which is discontinued, with me. (http://www.knifecenter.com/item/KA1244/kabar-knives-black-camp-knife-fixed)
            It rides in the pack unless I'm doing camp chores and it'll be on my hip.

I carry a small fixed blade kabar TDI at 11 o'clock set up for a crossdraw reach and lately a leatherman sidekick clipped to my right pocket for utility work.

For deer hunting, I generally have a mulititool in a pack and just a 3" semi-serrated folder (the collection of which seems to keep growing) clipped on my right pocket. The size works great for field cleaning. The non-serrated portion is great for most of the cleaning chores, the small serrated section, even if it's just 1.5 inches, makes short work of a deer's ribs.

When 'packing, or hunting in the woods as opposed to my semi-rural area, a small Coghlin's folding saw is generally riding along. large knives and hatchets will do in a pinch, but a small saw will save a lot of time and sweat when cutting wood to length. For the few ounces and a couple more dollars, worth it.
            A little hot soapy water and an old toothbrush will clean a folder, no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
              I carry a small Kase folding knife all the time, and when I am hunting always
              a larger folding knife if I should get lucky (gettind a deer I mean, not lucky
              in the other way) but I never carry a sheath knife. I am a knife fanatic, one
              can never have enough knives, even if one never uses all of them, they are
              just wonderful to look at and feel in the hand !
              Richard, we've recently discussed your favorite hunting knives. Thanks again for posting the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                I carry the Swiss Executive with me all the time. Have dressed deer with it. I also keep a Schrade + Sharp Finger in both vehicles and a machete in the camp.

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/swiss-army-knives/executive
                Good choices Jimbo!

Comment

Originally posted by Jor Fly View Post
                  EDC I carry a cold steal voyager and an old Gerber multi tool, but for the woods? I believe two is one and one is none. For general outings I carry a Buck 110 in my pack and a old AUS-8 cold steal recon tanto on my belt. Now if Im camping is the Buck and a good hatchet.. I do want to get a new fixed blade to carry and have been eyeballing a battle horse and habilis for some time to fill that niche.
                  I'm impressed with the performance of the Buck 110 after using it to field dress a deer. Good choice!

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                    I regularly carry a Kershaw folding knive that can be opened with a flick of your thumb. Slipping the knive into the front pocket of my jeans with the boot clip showing and secure on the the outside of the pocket is comfortable and easy to assess. I got in the habit of carry thus type of knive because it gets used so much. Frequently, it is the serraded portion of the blade that increases the functionality of the knive. I never use to think a serrated blade made much sense but cutting a nylon tie down strap or tough lifting sling soon convinced me otherwise. It is a great working tool.
                    I carry a folder in my hunting pack but gutting and skinning a big game animal with such a knive is a risky business in very cold weather. The full size handle and tang on a fixed blade minimizes the chances of a blood covered, icy cold hand slipping forward onto the blade. Been there and done that and it still sends a shiver down my spine to think of every doing it again. The Buck Vanguard suits my needs though my high carbon Sheffield knive acquired 55 years ago holds a edge better and calls to mind some great experiences.
                    I've been tempted by those Buck Vanguards!

Comment

I always have a knife unless in a place where it's illegal to carry one.

When fishing, I generally have a Morakniv Companion on my hip as well as a Spyderco folder in my pocket. The Mora has a 4-inch stainless steel blede.

When hunting, I carry a long knife on my hip for finishing wounded deer and pigs. By experience, I've found you need at least a 6-inch blade for the task. For many recent seasons it's been the Cold Steel Boar Hunter with 8.75-inch blade. But recently, I picked up a locally made knife with 8-inch blade for that task. (see pic)

I'll still have a shorter fixed blade in my pack for field dressing chores.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Mansion on fire.
                        by 99explorer
                        One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                        It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                        Today, 10:04 AM
                      • Firing squad.
                        by 99explorer
                        A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                        This final shot does...
                        Yesterday, 09:07 PM
                      • Lost in the woods.
                        by 99explorer
                        You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                        One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                        Two Indians...
                        Yesterday, 01:24 PM
                      • Books on a shelf.
                        by 99explorer
                        There are several books on a bookshelf.
                        If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                        08-21-2019, 02:19 PM
                      • Mental arithmetic.
                        by 99explorer
                        A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
                        The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
                        How much does the ball cost?
                        08-21-2019, 11:57 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X