Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you guys carry a fixed-blade knife regularly while hunting/fishing/hiking? I know a lot of people, including myself, who carry a folder/pocketknife all the time, but I personally don't know anyone who carries a larger knife on a regular b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you guys carry a fixed-blade knife regularly while hunting/fishing/hiking? I know a lot of people, including myself, who carry a folder/pocketknife all the time, but I personally don't know anyone who carries a larger knife on a regular b

How many of you guys carry a fixed-blade knife regularly while hunting/fishing/hiking? I know a lot of people, including myself, who carry a folder/pocketknife all the time, but I personally don't know anyone who carries a larger knife on a regular basis.

I strictly carry a folder. It's a Benchmade automatic opener. Wonderful steel and utterly reliable.

Comment

I carry a 18" bowie knife in case a big foot or a grizzly bear attack. I mean I live in Missouri and have never seen either, but you have to play it safe. I really hope by now you recognize that I'm not being serious.....I actually do carry(sheathed and on belt) a Buck 119 with me sometimes while deer hunting if I am going to be walking a long distance to hunt. I'd call it a fairly large fixed blade knife, but I don't carry it very often. My normal "around the farm" knife is a buck 110. I'm not huge on multitools, but I do carry a leatherman sometimes...just seem too bulky in my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
        I carry a 18" bowie knife in case a big foot or a grizzly bear attack. I mean I live in Missouri and have never seen either, but you have to play it safe. I really hope by now you recognize that I'm not being serious.....I actually do carry(sheathed and on belt) a Buck 119 with me sometimes while deer hunting if I am going to be walking a long distance to hunt. I'd call it a fairly large fixed blade knife, but I don't carry it very often. My normal "around the farm" knife is a buck 110. I'm not huge on multitools, but I do carry a leatherman sometimes...just seem too bulky in my hand.
        Only an 18-incher? I don't know, JM; I'd say that's a tad undergunned - or I guess in this case underknifed. I'd go with a short sword at the minimum. Lol.......I carry a Leatherman at almost all times when I'm out of the house. It's worth its weight in gold to me. But I sure wouldn't want to have to use that 3" blade to fend off a bear or a bigfoot. We don't have a whole lot of dangerous critters here either, and I know a knife really isn't what you want to carry for serious self-defense, but for some reason I've been thinking lately about whether I should have a larger blade handy more often when I'm in the woods.

Comment

Yeah...I really would recommend the buck 119. You can usually get them for under $50 brand new on sale. If you wear a belt hunting you wont even know it's on your hip. I have used it on deer from field dressing to the complete butchering job multiple times...never had to stop the process in the middle to sharpen it.

Comment

I've never worn a big fixed-blade, probably because I'm still embarrassed about coming of age in the Rambo era when those ridiculous survival pigstickers were all the rage. My main hunting knife is a Buck 110 folder, carried in a sheath on my belt, but I did find a nifty little fixed-blade last year at a gun show. It was cheap but the steel is good, and it's full tang; its 2-inch blade is sort of a wide skinning-style blade, and the whole knife is only 5 inches long. Certainly not a self-defense knife, but when I'm hunting I have a gun, and when I'm just roaming around I have a seasoned-maple walking stick. I usually have my old Mora tucked into a vest pocket or in my pack, as well. I do own a couple of big fixed-blades, an old Lone Wolf monstrosity (looks like a mini butcher knife) and a military surplus thing with a black blade and rubber handle. Both stay in my camping packs and generally get used as fire pokers.

Comment

I don't. Backpacking and camping I tend to have a Kabar Camp knife, which is discontinued, with me. (http://www.knifecenter.com/item/KA1244/kabar-knives-black-camp-knife-fixed)
              It rides in the pack unless I'm doing camp chores and it'll be on my hip.

I carry a small fixed blade kabar TDI at 11 o'clock set up for a crossdraw reach and lately a leatherman sidekick clipped to my right pocket for utility work.

For deer hunting, I generally have a mulititool in a pack and just a 3" semi-serrated folder (the collection of which seems to keep growing) clipped on my right pocket. The size works great for field cleaning. The non-serrated portion is great for most of the cleaning chores, the small serrated section, even if it's just 1.5 inches, makes short work of a deer's ribs.

When 'packing, or hunting in the woods as opposed to my semi-rural area, a small Coghlin's folding saw is generally riding along. large knives and hatchets will do in a pinch, but a small saw will save a lot of time and sweat when cutting wood to length. For the few ounces and a couple more dollars, worth it.

Comment

Nice looking knife. I have transitioned more toward making my own knives now. I buy the unfinished components and assemble and finish them. That way you can get premium blades and handle materials for the same price as commercially-made knives of average quality. Plus it's a lot of fun. I've got a 6 1/2" Camillus blade that actually looks a lot like that Buck 119. If it takes a good edge, I might make that into my "woods carry" knife.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                  I've never worn a big fixed-blade, probably because I'm still embarrassed about coming of age in the Rambo era when those ridiculous survival pigstickers were all the rage. My main hunting knife is a Buck 110 folder, carried in a sheath on my belt, but I did find a nifty little fixed-blade last year at a gun show. It was cheap but the steel is good, and it's full tang; its 2-inch blade is sort of a wide skinning-style blade, and the whole knife is only 5 inches long. Certainly not a self-defense knife, but when I'm hunting I have a gun, and when I'm just roaming around I have a seasoned-maple walking stick. I usually have my old Mora tucked into a vest pocket or in my pack, as well. I do own a couple of big fixed-blades, an old Lone Wolf monstrosity (looks like a mini butcher knife) and a military surplus thing with a black blade and rubber handle. Both stay in my camping packs and generally get used as fire pokers.
                  I admit, I do have a couple of decent knives with blades in the 7-9" range, but part of the reason I don't carry them is that I'd be kind of ashamed for anyone to see me. One of them is actually called The Pig Sticker - no kidding.

Comment

I carry a small Kase folding knife all the time, and when I am hunting always
                    a larger folding knife if I should get lucky (gettind a deer I mean, not lucky
                    in the other way) but I never carry a sheath knife. I am a knife fanatic, one
                    can never have enough knives, even if one never uses all of them, they are
                    just wonderful to look at and feel in the hand !

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                      I have a kabar fighting knife, and a kabar warthog who's sole jobs are occupying a corner of the floor of the safe.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                        I don't. Backpacking and camping I tend to have a Kabar Camp knife, which is discontinued, with me. (http://www.knifecenter.com/item/KA1244/kabar-knives-black-camp-knife-fixed)

I carry a small fixed blade kabar TDI at 11 o'clock set up for a crossdraw reach and lately a leatherman sidekick clipped to my right pocket for utility work.

For deer hunting, I generally have a mulititool in a pack and just a 3" semi-serrated folder (the collection of which seems to keep growing) clipped on my right pocket. The size works great for field cleaning. The non-serrated portion is great for most of the cleaning chores, the small serrated section, even if it's just 1.5 inches, makes short work of a deer's ribs.

When 'packing, or hunting in the woods as opposed to my semi-rural area, a small Coghlin's folding saw is generally riding along. large knives and hatchets will do in a pinch, but a small saw will save a lot of time and sweat when cutting wood to length. For the few ounces and a couple more dollars, worth it.
                        Personally, I won't use folder to field dress or process game if I can possibly avoid it. I hate cleaning folders when they get really gunked up. That's part of my motivation for trying to find a good fixed-blade to carry.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                          I carry a small Kase folding knife all the time, and when I am hunting always
                          a larger folding knife if I should get lucky (gettind a deer I mean, not lucky
                          in the other way) but I never carry a sheath knife. I am a knife fanatic, one
                          can never have enough knives, even if one never uses all of them, they are
                          just wonderful to look at and feel in the hand !
                          Oh, you don't have a use for a large folding knife when you get lucky? That's a relief! ;-D
                          I am rather addicted to knives too, although I mostly make my own these days. I have more than enough already, but I can always seem to find a way to justify doing *one more*. I'll have to post photos of the ones I'm working on right now when I get them finished.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post

Understood. I haven't had a lot of trouble with tissue getting into the works.. but I get it. It started because I always had a folder. I'd occasionally lose a non-clipped knife.
                            I once cleaned a buck with a 1.5" engraved folder that my sister gave the wedding party on her wedding day. It was in my first aid kit.. my Schrade Oldtimer was I think on the floor in camp next to where my bag was leaning. I wouldn't want to do it again, but it was probably easier to do it with that knife than it would be to try it with a bowie.
                            Only part where it wasn't nearly good enough was the initial reaming.

Comment

I carry the Swiss Executive with me all the time. Have dressed deer with it. I also keep a Schrade + Sharp Finger in both vehicles and a machete in the camp.

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/swiss-army-knives/executive

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The new king.
                                by 99explorer
                                The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                                Now the twins are adults...
                                Yesterday, 04:27 PM
                              • Sisters.
                                by 99explorer
                                Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                                How...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 AM
                              • Rice for sale.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                                He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                                He soon becomes...
                                08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
                              • Strangers meet.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                                No identification markers...
                                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                              • OU football
                                by FirstBubba
                                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X