Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much interest do you have in the SHOT show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much interest do you have in the SHOT show?

How much interest do you have in the SHOT show?

Most of my hobbies touch on hunting, the outdoors, shooting, and self defense. There is much in SHOT that should interest me...
    yet every year I find myself waiting for the coverage of it to go away so the media will go back to writing articles about skills, tactics, mindset, and general stories and stop obsessing about the almighty Newest Gadget.

Comment

I like reading about it, but most of the items in the show aren't really anything I need. I already have everything I need(until I see something new that I need...lol). It's fun to see all of the new/improved things. I think it is often overblown though, as Jcarlin hinted at.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
        Most of my hobbies touch on hunting, the outdoors, shooting, and self defense. There is much in SHOT that should interest me...
        yet every year I find myself waiting for the coverage of it to go away so the media will go back to writing articles about skills, tactics, mindset, and general stories and stop obsessing about the almighty Newest Gadget.
        You're not alone. My feelings were probably evident by the way I phrased the question. Even some of the journalists covering it don't like it anymore. Do you suppose they're required to attend and do reviews? I think sometimes we readers forget that many of these writers, even our old favorites, just simply work for the company and have to do as they're assigned.

Comment

Very little. I'm really not much of a gearhead. Sure, I like getting a new "toy" as much as the next guy, but I've always had kind of a minimalist mindset when it comes to hunting. I rarely purchase the latest hot new gadget, unless I truly need it.

Comment

I'm sure they do. I like what I do for a living, but I like about half of the projects I'm assigned... not much choice in the picking.
            Coincidentally, Heavey just posted a story about it on the sister site.

Comment

I saw that. I had to chuckle, thinking that even the writers who don't go still cover it. I guess that's the power of the SHOT show.

Comment

Somehow that point didn't register. That IS funny.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                  Very little. I'm really not much of a gearhead. Sure, I like getting a new "toy" as much as the next guy, but I've always had kind of a minimalist mindset when it comes to hunting. I rarely purchase the latest hot new gadget, unless I truly need it.
                  I know you're into muzzle loading, so have you ever made your own lead balls? I'm not sure if you have heard of them, but there is a channel on youtube that I love to watch. The main guy does a bunch of "traditional" hunts. Here's a link to one...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iArYz4hkqkc

Comment

And that video is a perfect example of why I like their channel...wasn't the cleanest kill, but they aren't faking it like the stuff on TV.

Comment

With all the documentation that is required for admittance into the show, I
                      am surprised they have over 25 people who even qualify to attend. If you
                      are not familiar with the needed documentation, look up SHOT show on the
                      internet, I was astounded ! Since I don't qualify, I guess I could just say,
                      hey, who cares. But then I am sure there are some interesting things to
                      be seen, but, hey, who cares.

Comment

My reputation on the Forum alone would likely bar my attendance to this shot show. Anyway, I am most interested in tequila though I am prepared to sample any number of rums and ryes. I guarantee many of us gathering for a shot sampling as I describe would have a great time together. It would be loud as most of the members of this Forum could talk the ears off a water buffalo. I mean that as a compliment knowing there would be no wall flowers at this party.!

Comment

As with any job, if it was always fun, they wouldn't call it WORK. I like what I do most of the time, but there are times when it becomes drudgery.

Comment

Yeah, I am familiar with Leatherwood Outdoors. They're definitely more "real" than a lot of the fake hunting shows out there. Hadn't watched that video before though. It's amazing how well those period clothes blend in with the woods. Just shows how unnecessary traditional camo is. I have never made my own lead balls, for two reasons. One, I'm not quite THAT minimalist, lol. I use an inline with saboted bullets. The other reason is that the potential long-term health effects of melting lead scare me, quite frankly. Even in a well-ventilated area you can't help but breath in some of the vapors, unless you wear a respirator. I do want to get into more traditional muzzleloading some day, so maybe I would reconsider casting my own balls if and when I do.
                            BTW, do you have any experience with Remington Managed Recoil 30-30 ammo? I'm ordering a couple boxes for coyote hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                              My reputation on the Forum alone would likely bar my attendance to this shot show. Anyway, I am most interested in tequila though I am prepared to sample any number of rums and ryes. I guarantee many of us gathering for a shot sampling as I describe would have a great time together. It would be loud as most of the members of this Forum could talk the ears off a water buffalo. I mean that as a compliment knowing there would be no wall flowers at this party.!
                              Dang it Kody, I will never be able to think of the SHOT show in the same way again, lol.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pieces of gold.
                                by 99explorer
                                Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                                Yesterday, 06:45 PM
                              • Mansion on fire.
                                by 99explorer
                                One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                                It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                                Yesterday, 10:04 AM
                              • Firing squad.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                                This final shot does...
                                08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
                              • Lost in the woods.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                                Two Indians...
                                08-22-2019, 01:24 PM
                              • Books on a shelf.
                                by 99explorer
                                There are several books on a bookshelf.
                                If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                                08-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X