Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your preferred cold weather clothing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
    I don't like down. It's too heavy.
    Two geese at once!? Pearl really was the wonderdog, wasn't she. You were both lucky to have each other!

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
      I'm actually debating building a wooden elevated blind by one of my favorite spots and running electricity to it so that I can hook up a heater for when the young kids(or me...we all have those days) can hunt without dealing with the cold/wind/rain. I love wool and layers. I'm generally moving or walking long distances to hunt, so I need the layers. This means a base layer made of wool(I like the cabelas brand ones I have the best), and multiple more thin layers on top of that. I hate the feeling of big gloves, so I usually opt for a more flexible pair and some hand warmers in my pockets. As for socks I go with wool. Usually bring a backpack along with a wool blanket tied to the top of it, and an extra pair of socks. Always leave room to store any shed layers. If it is real windy I'll even bring a scarf since my neck is usually the first thing that gets cold if exposed.
      @charlie,
      Most people in Missouri follow a simple formula for our "cold" weather...the worn out jacket, jeans, and a fifth of their favorite drink.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
        I'm actually debating building a wooden elevated blind by one of my favorite spots and running electricity to it so that I can hook up a heater for when the young kids(or me...we all have those days) can hunt without dealing with the cold/wind/rain. I love wool and layers. I'm generally moving or walking long distances to hunt, so I need the layers. This means a base layer made of wool(I like the cabelas brand ones I have the best), and multiple more thin layers on top of that. I hate the feeling of big gloves, so I usually opt for a more flexible pair and some hand warmers in my pockets. As for socks I go with wool. Usually bring a backpack along with a wool blanket tied to the top of it, and an extra pair of socks. Always leave room to store any shed layers. If it is real windy I'll even bring a scarf since my neck is usually the first thing that gets cold if exposed.
        Wow JM, you're getting soft. Here I thought you were this macho superhunter who always stalked deer on foot, carrying an old relic of a rifle. But now you're going to join the legions of other box-blind hunters. What's next - a .300 Win Mag with a 20X scope so you can shoot deer at 400 yards? ;-D

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
          I don't like down. It's too heavy.
          Had to give you a plus one. That was funny

Comment

I start out with a UnderArmor base layer and then start adding Filson wool - Filson wool shirt, Filson wool vest and then Filson wool double Mackinaw parka. I have a green one and a red/black plaid one plus the green bibs. Top that off with a Stormy Kromer hat or Filson hat with a scarf and I am good to below 10deg. I don't hunt colder than that. A muffler for the hands with possibly a hand warmer inside and boot covers by ArcticShield for the feet. Balaclava for the face if really cold.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              I start out with a UnderArmor base layer and then start adding Filson wool - Filson wool shirt, Filson wool vest and then Filson wool double Mackinaw parka. I have a green one and a red/black plaid one plus the green bibs. Top that off with a Stormy Kromer hat or Filson hat with a scarf and I am good to below 10deg. I don't hunt colder than that. A muffler for the hands with possibly a hand warmer inside and boot covers by ArcticShield for the feet. Balaclava for the face if really cold.
              I guess you're not moving around much with that outfit, Jim? Kromer caps are great for watching football games and maybe sitting in a blind. Any amount of walking or working with one of them and my head is sweating like a pig at a slaughterhouse. A wet head in sub-zero weather is a very bad thing!

All those Filsons duds must have substantially depleted your retirement fund! You'll never find their stuff at Walmart, that's for sure! Filsons seems hung up on old-fashioned buttons but I much prefer zippers. Trying to get a coat buttoned or unbuttoned with frozen fingers, especially old and arthritic frozen fingers, can be extremely frustrating.

Comment

Long handles, fleece, then wool. But didn't have to use that this year. Very mild.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  I don't have the sweat problem and for the buttons, when I get a new item I work the hole with something like a dowel to 'soften it up' otherwise I could never get it buttoned. I can 'still hunt' fine, and yet in warmer weather it is also fine for me.(I might shed the vest) Filson is much better than some of the synthetic parkas I have tried that are instant perspire for me. I also have a Browning Hydro-Suede 4-in-1 that was tops in it's day. One of the first synthetic 4N1 combo's. Very $$$ also. After a year or so, Browning downgraded the Hydro-Suede to Hydro-Fleece for 1/2 the price.
                  If I do get wet in the Filson, overnight at camp and it is ready to go. Filson uses only the primo fiber from the sheep, the secondary goes to people like Woolrich. If you Google 'wool fiber', you can see the rating system and the parameters used for the rating - very scientific. There is also an explanation of how Companies treat fiber so it can be machine washed. I don't believe Filson has any that are machine washable.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Firing squad.
                    by 99explorer
                    A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                    This final shot does...
                    Today, 09:07 PM
                  • Lost in the woods.
                    by 99explorer
                    You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                    One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                    Two Indians...
                    Today, 01:24 PM
                  • Books on a shelf.
                    by 99explorer
                    There are several books on a bookshelf.
                    If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                    Yesterday, 02:19 PM
                  • Mental arithmetic.
                    by 99explorer
                    A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
                    The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
                    How much does the ball cost?
                    Yesterday, 11:57 AM
                  • The new king.
                    by 99explorer
                    The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                    Now the twins are adults...
                    08-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X