Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of you have any experience with Damascus steel knives? I am going to build a new hunting knife for my father, and while I've made quite a few knives, I've never used Damascus steel. I love the look, but I want the finished knife to be practical a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of you have any experience with Damascus steel knives? I am going to build a new hunting knife for my father, and while I've made quite a few knives, I've never used Damascus steel. I love the look, but I want the finished knife to be practical a

Any of you have any experience with Damascus steel knives? I am going to build a new hunting knife for my father, and while I've made quite a few knives, I've never used Damascus steel. I love the look, but I want the finished knife to be practical as well.

That would, it seems to me, be an illogical choice. Damascus steel shotgun barrels were made by taking hot ribbons of steel, wrapping them around a cold steel rod, and pounding the ribbons into a unified cylinder. But the unification was not very complete. Hence modern shotshell loads would cause the ribbons to separate resulting in the end of a shotgun that resembled a banana half unpeeled. A knife blade made this way would, like the shotgun barrel, have minute voids which would probably result in a blade that would be easily broken and difficult to sharpen well.

Comment

Hmmm. Should have done my homework first. Recent research indicates Damascus steel sword and knife blades were probably made of ingots of "wootz steel" from India. Originally the steel was exported to the Middle East where artisans manufactured the famous blades. Unfortunately, for reasons still not fully known, the metallurgical process was lost around 1750. Cementite nanowires and carbon "nanotubes" either smelted in the wootz ingots or produced during the forging process give Damascus steel its "wormy" appearance (much debate still exists on how the two nanostructures are imparted into the metal). True Damascus blades have yet to be reproduced in the modern era but archaeologists appear to be getting close to solving the riddle.

Comment

I am thinking of making a knife but am going to use a large saw blade for the blade. 14" blade should yield a good size knife. Easy to work with and good high grade of steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
          Hmmm. Should have done my homework first. Recent research indicates Damascus steel sword and knife blades were probably made of ingots of "wootz steel" from India. Originally the steel was exported to the Middle East where artisans manufactured the famous blades. Unfortunately, for reasons still not fully known, the metallurgical process was lost around 1750. Cementite nanowires and carbon "nanotubes" either smelted in the wootz ingots or produced during the forging process give Damascus steel its "wormy" appearance (much debate still exists on how the two nanostructures are imparted into the metal). True Damascus blades have yet to be reproduced in the modern era but archaeologists appear to be getting close to solving the riddle.
          Yeah, true Damascus steel isn't being made anymore. The stuff called Damascus these days is really pattern welded steel. Usually a combination of high-carbon 1095 steel and some other high-carbon or stainless steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
            OHH, don't confuse the two methods. "Damascus" shotgun barrels were forged by heating narrow strips of iron and steel around a mandrel. Totally different process and unrelated to making a knife blade.

Comment

Yes, I have some experience with Damascus knife blades. My first was a Parker lockback pictured below. For several seasons, it was the only knife I used for field dressing deer and pigs. Very easy to sharpen and it kept a great edge.

I suggest Alabama Damascus Steel as your source. Link provided below...
              Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Firing squad.
                by 99explorer
                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                This final shot does...
                Today, 09:07 PM
              • Lost in the woods.
                by 99explorer
                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                Two Indians...
                Today, 01:24 PM
              • Books on a shelf.
                by 99explorer
                There are several books on a bookshelf.
                If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                Yesterday, 02:19 PM
              • Mental arithmetic.
                by 99explorer
                A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
                The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
                How much does the ball cost?
                Yesterday, 11:57 AM
              • The new king.
                by 99explorer
                The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                Now the twins are adults...
                08-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X