Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tyler Freel's piece on water made me wonder: Does anyone know if the charcoal filtration units in a Katydin (or whatever) bottle can lose their effectiveness over time if they're not used? I know there are only so many gallons that the device can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyler Freel's piece on water made me wonder: Does anyone know if the charcoal filtration units in a Katydin (or whatever) bottle can lose their effectiveness over time if they're not used? I know there are only so many gallons that the device can

Tyler Freel's piece on water made me wonder: Does anyone know if the charcoal filtration units in a Katydin (or whatever) bottle can lose their effectiveness over time if they're not used? I know there are only so many gallons that the device can filter in its life, but what I mean is, these have just been sitting on a shelf for about ten years. Does the charcoal (or whatever is in there) break down on its own over time, losing its power to filter?

I have used Katadyn filters for decades and they seem to still be working fine. Own both a pocket model and a large expedition model. I just looked them up to see if I could find information on longevity, the current prices almost knocked me out of my chair. Their web site must have the info somewhere

Comment

Katadyn Webb site has a lot of information. Apparently, the filter may need to be changed, depending on how hard it had been used, how old without use, how dirty the water, and if had been stored wet. Best to read it from the source. I have been satisfied with both of mine. Kindest Regards

Comment

Did see an interesting bit of info. According to the World Health Organization, 80% of all travel illness is caused by bad water. They do not say if diluting with 100 proof vodka helps or hinders.

Comment

I'll be taking the family backpacking and utilizing an MSR mini-works this weekend.
          Ceramic element with activated charcoal core. I used it a few weeks ago and I know that particular element is 5 years old. I'll probably replace in a bit just for peace of mind, but I've never gotten ill with it.

I have a bigger question I've been wondering about. Most filters don't handle virus but bacteria and amoeba , because waterborne virus hasn't been an issue north of our southern border (I wouldn't drink out of the East river and depend on that).
          With the recent surge in the amount of South and Central American immigrants, and the documented disease that have come with.. I wonder if I'm playing roulette with that assumption anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
            Did see an interesting bit of info. According to the World Health Organization, 80% of all travel illness is caused by bad water. They do not say if diluting with 100 proof vodka helps or hinders.
            Enough 100 proof vodka will probably ensure that you forget about whatever is bothering you anyway. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
              I'll be taking the family backpacking and utilizing an MSR mini-works this weekend.
              Ceramic element with activated charcoal core. I used it a few weeks ago and I know that particular element is 5 years old. I'll probably replace in a bit just for peace of mind, but I've never gotten ill with it.

I have a bigger question I've been wondering about. Most filters don't handle virus but bacteria and amoeba , because waterborne virus hasn't been an issue north of our southern border (I wouldn't drink out of the East river and depend on that).
              With the recent surge in the amount of South and Central American immigrants, and the documented disease that have come with.. I wonder if I'm playing roulette with that assumption anymore.
              With the advent of immigrants, I would have to worry about incidental or even accidental water pollution.
              However, with the possibility of todays happenings, I would be even more concerned with the factor
              of pollution on a purposeble basis. I have nothing against legall immigration (so the health and legal
              reason of immigrants can be better known) it is the not knowing who or what people are coming into
              this country that makes me nerveous. Our water supply is one of the most important national security
              issues that we face in this country and with that being paroumont, I would think our political people
              would give more thought to protecting our borders. Jcarlin, I woulg venture to say, you are probably
              playing roulette with your assumption about waterborne virus.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post

That should have been purposeful and paramount. My machine is young and is still learning to spell !!!

Comment

My guess is the carbon filter media is stable. If it has been stored some bacteria may continue to grow on the media especially if stored in a damp place. Carbon will not capture viruses, if they are a concern, a chemical treatment or boiling would eliminate that contamination. Check with the manufacturer and see what they recommend. Maybe pumping several ounces of 100 proof vodka through the charcoal will keep it clean. LOL

Comment

Carbon has a half life of almost 6000 years...10 years shouldn't be a problem if they have never been used. Or do you mean that they were originally used and then spent 10 years sitting on a shelf not being used/

Comment

The frequency of filter changes depends upon your water quality and your water usage. For example, if there are a lot of sediment particulates in your water, then you will have to change your filters more frequently than someone with filtering water from a cleaner source. This is true even with the ceramic pre-filter.

The best rule of thumb is when you start to see a performance drop after cleaning the pre-filter. Slow or no flow, or bad smells even if the unit has dried properly.

Katadyn recommends every 6months as taken from their site:
                      What is the red knob on the Katadyn Combi filter for?

The red knob is there simply to remind you when to replace the activated carbon granulate. When the carbon has been used for 6 months, it needs to be replaced. The red knob can be turned (with the help of a coin) to the appropriate month, to make it easier to remember.

Comment

Many years ago in Mongolia at the end of a sheep hunt I was passing out tips and thank you. My interpreter, asked if he could buy my Katadyn filter, seems his young son had major health issues, and easily became ill. I told him it was not for sale, but was happy to give it to him. His appreciation seemed genuine. He indicated there was nowhere locally he could buy one at any price.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The new king.
                          by 99explorer
                          The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                          Now the twins are adults...
                          Yesterday, 04:27 PM
                        • Sisters.
                          by 99explorer
                          Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                          How...
                          Yesterday, 09:32 AM
                        • Rice for sale.
                          by 99explorer
                          A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                          He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                          He soon becomes...
                          08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
                        • Strangers meet.
                          by 99explorer
                          A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                          They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                          No identification markers...
                          08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                        • OU football
                          by FirstBubba
                          Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                          The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                          08-16-2019, 10:35 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X