Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nothing against OL's articles, and maybe I just am not with the times, but it seems technology is trying way too hard to be a pa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing against OL's articles, and maybe I just am not with the times, but it seems technology is trying way too hard to be a pa

Nothing against OL's articles, and maybe I just am not with the times, but it seems technology is trying way too hard to be a part of the sportman's world when it shouldn't be. Now with the ability to have topo GPS's on our phones and I saw an advertisement for a scope that automatically changes crosshairs for longer shot's bullet drop, it seems old tactics taught from generation's past is being forgotten. What happened to the good old compass and the skill of making your shot when it's most challenging? Now the only challenge is bored hunters playing candy crush levels in their stands when they should be enjoying their time out. Maybe it's just me. What's your opinions?

Best part about all of this? We can all make our own choices. I feel a hunter playing candy crush is better than not hunting at all.

Comment

I’m with you on this officerdom. I think it’s all about people focusing on the end result and forgetting to enjoy the overall experience. I watched a Common Yellowthroat land on my gun barrel this past spring turkey season. I sure wouldn’t have been able to enjoy that had I been playing Minecraft. If somebody wants to play a game on the stand or become dependent on other modern technology, more power to them. However, there is a huge difference between hunting and merely trying to shoot something.

Comment

I 100% agree with you on the part about technology taking the part good old fashioned woodsmanship used to occupy in hunting. I admit, I use trail cameras, GPS, etc., but I like to think I do so in moderation, and for me they are never a replacement for just getting out in the woods with a map and taking a hike.
        As far as hunters playing games and stuff on stand, I agree with JM, if that's how they want to roll, I don't necessarily have a problem with it.

Comment

change is part of life even if it's good or bad, all we can do is thank the creator who allows us a chance to witness it threw our journey and time on this earth. DJH

Comment

Advancing technology can make you more efficient and can help keep you safe. We have to decide which developments we will use in our hunting and fishing though. By making these decisions you maintain your own satisfaction with the things you like to do.

Comment

Hi...

Well if you're interested in compound bows, bow sights, air rifles with scopes and 'shock absorbing' butt plates, feed plots and baits to hunt over, tree stands, camo, etc., well as long as it's legal...hey...'hike your own hike' as the saying goes.

It's just not for me. The next thing you know they'll be fencing in animals for you to shoot at ...!! (sarcasm!).

Comment

A .22 rifle, pocket of shells, and a shoestring to tie the hind feet of the squirrel to. Can't beat that with a stick. I think we have become too dependent on techie gadgets but some I would not be without in the woods. I am just dependent on them for a good hunt.

Comment

That should be not dependent on them for a good hunt.

Comment

Dependence is bad, but even worse is how the experience becomes merely a means to the end of using the technology. A lot of hunters and fishermen nowadays are reaching for that phone at the first possible opportunity; the important thing seems to be getting the picture and posting it on your Facebook page. It reminds me of the past few concerts I've gone to. There are more people holding up their phones to record it than people simply listening and dancing.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Lost some cover; pic heavy
                      by fitch270
                      ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                      Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    • Covid-19
                      by jhjimbo
                      Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                      09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                    • Spur of the moment rifle
                      by Amflyer
                      I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                      09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                    • The $20 Shooting Shack
                      by fitch270
                      So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                      09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                    • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                      by dewman
                      one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                      09-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X