Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a pair of small Nikon binoculars now I take with me to work that I'd like to start carrying in my duty bag at work. There

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a pair of small Nikon binoculars now I take with me to work that I'd like to start carrying in my duty bag at work. There

I have a pair of small Nikon binoculars now I take with me to work that I'd like to start carrying in my duty bag at work. Therefore, I need a new pair for play! I was looking at Bushnell because it seems you get a good product for the price, but I can't ever decide of magnification to buy. Hunting in PA, I won't be looking out passed 150yards max but I do want something I can look at a range at a target 200yds and not strain. Is there a good middle ground magnification? Any tips or suggestions or brands/types please let me know. Thanks fellas

As far as magnification goes, I like 10x, 8x just isn't quite enough for some of the places I hunt, although it might be better for someone who strictly hunts in the timber. And anything more than 10x is overkill for most big-game hunting. I like my binos to be at least 40mm too, for better light-transmission, although the bigger you go the heavier you get, all else being equal.
    My current binocular is a Carson JK-series 10X42, and I highly recommend it. Carson isn't a widely-known brand among hunters for some reason, but it's very popular with birders and hikers, and has a very good reputation for quality at a
    reasonable price.
    One last tip, I personally recommend roof prism binos over porro prism ones, they are usually lighter and more compact, and the ones I've tested are higher quality optically.
    Good luck, hope you find something that'll work.

Comment

Back in the day no one needed binoculars...man up.

Comment

I've got some 8 x 35's, and they have always worked well for me. You really have a wide range of choices and styles to choose from. Stick with a good brand and find what you like.

Comment

Seeing bullet holes at 200 yards is a lot to ask from a pair of bino's, no matter what the magnification. I picked up a pair of Nikon MONARCH 5's as my truck bino's and wound up using them all season deer hunting. My wife got me a pair of MONARCH 7's for Christmas so now my son has confiscated the 5's. Both are very clear,light weight and easy to use. Both are also 10X magnification. I can see the difference in the 7's over the 5's especially in low light condition's.

Comment

I'd go with some Nikon Monarch 5 or 7 8x42s. People think 10x is better than 8x and maybe for them they are. 10x is the max you want. Exit pupil for a human eye is 5mm avg. so at 8x and 42mm exit you get full 5mm of pupil letting light in. I hunt in Wyoming and can see better with 8x42s than my friends 10x42 and way better than my cheap 20-60x spotting scope. To be equal you would need 10x50s. At 12x the human heart beat in your hands will cause the picture to shake. 10 is about between. 8 is perfect for me. I see better with my good quality 8's than anything else including a buddy who has those "action" 7-15x binocs. Clarity of picture is more important than level of magnification. 8x works for me from 0-500 yards.

Comment

PS, I have leupold Mojave 8x42s. My dad has the Nikon Monarch 5s. I think I got them on sale for $229 or $259. Equally as good as my Leupolds. Vortex glass looks clear to me also, but I have used Nikon with no issue for years. Just remember, scratching the big lenses won't hurt your view that much. Use em and don't baby them. The small lenses in the front need to be protected.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                by fitch270
                Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
              • Grips and stocks
                by dewman
                so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
              • Youth pheasant hike
                by fitch270
                Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
              • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                by fitch270
                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
              • Unusual Sound
                by jhjimbo
                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X