Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was searching online a while ago to see how someone finds the right set of arrows for a bow. I have heard and seen that the wr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was searching online a while ago to see how someone finds the right set of arrows for a bow. I have heard and seen that the wr

I was searching online a while ago to see how someone finds the right set of arrows for a bow. I have heard and seen that the wrong set of arrows can make a difference in accuracy, speed and penetration for bows ( bigger is not always better). I have witnessed someone shooting big arrows that all they did was either; bounce off the target or barley hangs in by the tip while at the same time, spraying the target allover!(outfitted by some small outdoor shop). Then another shooter gave him his arrows that were lighter and the guy started to not only tightly group his arrows but penetrate farther into the target!! This makes me wonder how many people are being sold the wrong arrows. This is the one fact that I believe WILL change a shooters accuracy and killing power. I just wanted to shout out to those who aren’t aware of this. Here is a link to a very informative article about arrow sizing and other info about them.. http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_arrows/hunting_arrows_selection_guide_chapter_1.htm

Yes, you are correct. Another factor is if the bow is tuned to let the arrow fly point first and not wobbling. Arrow weight, spine, and fletching are all important in making. Another issue with compound bows is limb tuning.

Comment

i remember that you mentioned that you shoot aluminum arrows..later on in the article it said something about aluminum arrows will start to bend after time b/c of the force put on them, do u see that happening with your arrows?

btw, what does DSM stand for?

Comment

Yes, everything matters if you're trying to wring all the performance you can out of your archery setup. In general, the heavier the draw weight of the bow, the heavier and stiffer-spined the arrows should be. And the reverse is true as well.

Comment

I've heard about that bending issue as well. I've never checked straightness and for my purposes when just hunting I don't think it is an issue. The arrows I use for hunting are kept just for that purpose so they only get shot maybe 5 times in practice. Practicing will take a toll on your arrows anyway. When they get unuseable I rotate them out until I need to buy six more and the new ones are dedicated to hunting. Des Moines.

Comment

-An easy way to check aluminum arrows for straightness is take off the broadhead and roll it along a flat table.
            -For some reason the link is not working for me, so sorry if this was mentioned in the article.

Comment

proper penetration can only be achieved if the arrow is flying straight,paper tuning your arrows is the first step in arrow flight and sighting in new ones.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                by jhjimbo
                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
              • Spur of the moment rifle
                by Amflyer
                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                by fitch270
                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                by dewman
                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
              • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                by dewman
                So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X