Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the April issue, there is a review of fixed-blade knives. The 4-star ranking is given to the SOG Revolver Hunter, with a lis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the April issue, there is a review of fixed-blade knives. The 4-star ranking is given to the SOG Revolver Hunter, with a lis

In the April issue, there is a review of fixed-blade knives. The 4-star ranking is given to the SOG Revolver Hunter, with a listed price of $40. On the SOG website, the Revolver Hunter has a list price of $120 and is shown as being discontinued. I was able to find a SOG knife called the "Fusion Revolver Hunter" with a list price of $40, which is set to debut in May. Can somebody please clarify which knife was actually reviewed by Dave Rhea in the magazine?

sa4ak,

The knife we reviewed in the magazine was in fact discontinued. Unfortunately, this wasn't brought to our attention until it was too late in the magazine's production process. However, I'm told by the folks at SOG that the "Fusion Revolver Hunter" is virtually indistinguishable to the Revolver Hunter...aside from being $80 cheaper. That's why we listed the new price on the discontinued knife. Sorry for the confusion. Hope this helps.

John Taranto
    Gear Editor

Comment

Hm, virtually indistinguishable to the Revolver Hunter. Make you wonder how the guys who bought the more expensive knife at$120 will feel about the guy who gets a knife that is virtually indistinguishable for $40. For me, I would be unhappy.

Comment

Thanks John. Is there a way to get more details on the differences between the two knives? I'm on the waiting list to order the Fusion when it comes out, but would like to know why this version is $80 cheaper. There's got to be a few reasons...

Comment

I am checking with their marketing manager Chris right now - I will pass along the info when he gets back to me.

Comment

Hi Dave,

Any response yet from your contact at SOG?

Thanks...patiently waiting.

Comment

Sorry for the delay... Yes I heard back from Chris. He said: "The only other difference is the steel. Otherwise they are identical." He didn't specify what steel they are using now.

Comment

Whoa, time for somebody to come clean, here! I just received my new SOG Seal Fusion Revolver, and there is another, very critical difference. The Fusion revolver does NOT have the SS liners that the earlier version had, which gave it it's strength and durability. The handle of the Fusion Revolver I just received is just Zytel with no backing. I can literally squeeze the two sides together. And therefore, from what I can see, the pivot pin only has the Zytel to hold it in place. A much inferior and weaker design than the original, in my opinion. Also, the sheath is a very unimpressive nylon affair with a weak-looking hook and loop closure. That all said, it may be OK for what I paid for it (less than $40.00), but it is NOT the knife the now discontinued model was (BTW, I am actually a huge fan of the main line of SOG knives).

Comment

Correction - when I examined my knife under the light of day, I can now see thin strips of what I presume to be SS on the inside of the handle, creating a minimal liner. So there is some support for the pin and handle other than the Zytel. Not nearly as robust as I remember of the original that my hunting buddy had, but then again, neither is the price! Oh, and the blade steel is listed as 440A.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                    by jhjimbo
                    If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                    10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                  • Pay it forward
                    by fitch270
                    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                    10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                  • Reloading Gear Order
                    by fitch270
                    I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                    10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                  • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                    by dewman
                    Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                    10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                  • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                    by Ernie
                    Any handgun hunters here?
                    Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                    10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X