Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a Silva compass that I use to get a bearing on a gobbling turkey, and it has twice reversed polarity, then corrected itse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Silva compass that I use to get a bearing on a gobbling turkey, and it has twice reversed polarity, then corrected itse

I have a Silva compass that I use to get a bearing on a gobbling turkey, and it has twice reversed polarity, then corrected itself after a couple of days. I'm not using it near a power source or any magnetic object and am puzzled. I like the little compass because it's the right size to use when plotting the bearing on a topo map. It hasn't caused me any real problems because I'm hunting familiar territory and have a pretty good idea which way the sun comes up most days. Any ideas about what is causing this?

Hey Pineywoods,
    I did some checking and can't find any reasons for your compass needle's behavoir. Gun barrels, steel watches, standing by the engine of your vehicle, and any other proximity to ferrous metal usually makes magnetism innacurate. I'd get a new compass, just to be on the safe side - and make sure there is nothing metal near it when you are using it. Good luck.

Comment

Pineywoods, it may be possible that it is coming into contact with magnets. Your truck or car speakers have magnets in them, if the compass got to close to one this could happen. If not that then I have no idea.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Glad to know you are as puzzled as I am. I've checked that there's nothing metal around the compass and there are not any speakers or other magnets (that I know of) anywhere near. Both times it happened, it stayed reversed for about a week and went back. T-Mac, you are right about a new compass, and if this little guy didn't fit the map I use so perfectly, it would have been gone a long time ago. I 'd certainly never depend on it in unfamiliar territory. I had an adventure with a compass back in the '70s when I was running a charter boat in the Gulf---a mechanic worked on the boat one evening and left a small screwdriver by my big compass where I couldn't see it and I was trying to run a course to one of my favorite snapper spots the next day and just couldn't reconcile my course with the reading on the old Loran A and it took me most of the morning before I found the trouble---had me nearly twenty degrees off course. I called that mechanic some good saltwater names.

Comment

i have heard that in the annorondeck mountains in new york, you'll stand on top of a rock structure and it has a magnetic force or something that messes up the compass till you move away from the spot. is this possible in your situations?

Comment

It is true in the Adirondaks in New York, there are deposits of iron that will affect your compass.
            I had an experience with a small combination compass, whistle, dry storage and match striker. The print on the dial was reversed. South pointed north. Needless to say i destroyed the compass part. Another i had was like a silva and the needle was not marked N. Got rid of that one to.
            Take a minute to check out your gear before you need it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
              by fitch270
              I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
              Yesterday, 01:34 PM
            • Reloading Gear Order
              by fitch270
              I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
              10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
            • Ruger Oops! Round 2
              by dewman
              Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
              10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
            • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
              by Ernie
              Any handgun hunters here?
              Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
              10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
            • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
              by Ernie
              I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
              hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
              10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X