Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking at several different skinning and gutting knives. Do you have any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking at several different skinning and gutting knives. Do you have any suggestions?

I'm looking at several different skinning and gutting knives. Do you have any suggestions?

I've got a Bob Dozier semi-skinner and love it. The blade holds a fantastic edge, the knife is small enough for detail work, the blade isn't overly wide, so it is easy to get into all the nooks and crannies when gutting an animal, yet the angle of the blade to the handle is such that it has a fair amount of belly for skinning work. It is a great, all-around hunting knife.

Comment

I am very fond of the Cold Steel Master Hunter. I have and use both the traditional blade and the gut hook. They take and hold an edge and are extremely durable and they just seem to fit my hand like custom made. Buck knives are also a good value and perform well.

Comment

For a good value, I really like the Kershaw knives. The one downside/upside depending on how you look at it, is that Kershaw makes their knives with a little softer steel, meaning they get outrageously sharp with very little work. The downside to this is if you are cutting a lot of bone or hide they dull a little quicker.
        I like the knife I have as it is sharp and has a no-slip rubber handle (that handle has saved some of my flesh). Just another option.

Comment

Spyderco makes a heck of a knife. But, like The Captain said, they must use a little softer steel. You can get the knife unbelievably sharp, it's just hard to keep it that way. Spyderco makes several specialty knives and considering the craftmanship they are reasonably priced.

Comment

I like the SwingBlade and it's easy to see grip

Comment

Both my belt knife and my skinner are Grohmann knives.You would be hard pressed to find another hand made knife of their quality for a similiar price.Both retail for under $90,and if owning a factory second doesnt bother you(even their seconds are great, minimal flaws in em,just very fussy quality inspectors at Grohmann)the price is even less.Grohmann fillet knifes are also one of the finest I've used.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBkQFjAA&url=http%3A %2F%2Fwww.grohmannknives.com%2F&ei=oLr3TMy2OIaBlAf ew6WVAg&usg=AFQjCNEb5XUz9hHb78HgyPDiCYxwWdw9rg

Comment

Like the Captain said, Kershaw is what works for me also. I have two, The Moose Hunter and the Deer Hunter with the phenolic handles. They don`t make the Moose Hunter any more, but you can still buy the Deer Hunter. I bought the Moose on e-bay and they are a little salty on the price, but one heck of a knife. Had two but sold one for $250.00 so that will give you an idea. The Moose is just bigger than the Deer Hunter. I only buy Old Kershaw`s or Edge Brand knives from Solingen Germany. But I collect them also.
                Go on e-bay and check out fixed blade hunting knives. There are all brands and models. Might look at Puma`s to.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                  by Scott123
                  Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                  Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                • Blade Stain
                  by jhjimbo
                  Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                  Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                • Home Defense
                  by jhjimbo
                  If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                  10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                • Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X