Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the five most important things to include in your daypack while hunting the rugged mountains in the west.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the five most important things to include in your daypack while hunting the rugged mountains in the west.

What are the five most important things to include in your daypack while hunting the rugged mountains in the west.

Water,First aid kit,Cell Phone,Compass or GPS,Space blankit,Trail mix,or MREs,fire starter,Bright out door light some extra ammo and some rope,hunting knife. that what I would pack
    if I were to hunt the west mountains.

Comment

treestand forgot about TP, u never want to be in the woods without tp. i had to drink a min of two water bottles a day (i would at least 2). bring/buy a hunting backpack, this is one of the things i really regretted not having. all i had was a pouch that attached around my waste. #1, it constricted my diaphragm a lot. #2, i couldn’t put too much in it like food (get a lot of snacks/fruits)..another important tip, running 5+miles a day up, down and across mnts takes a lot of energy out of you so dont over load your backpack with 50lbs(hyperbole).. a 10-15 pound foldable chair feels like its 30lbs after hauling it around for miles. So, number one, include backpack. 2. Compass. 3, TP (toilet paper). 4knife. 5, water. 6, food.

Comment

#1 Lint from the dryer, waterproof matches
        #2 High calorie, high protein food
        #3 Nylon tarp 10ftX10ft
        #4 Water for 5 days
        #5 Mummy bag

That'll fit easy into my day pack. On my belt will be my Case XX hunting knife and .44Mag holstered Ruger along with 50ft of braided 3/8" rope. In my coat pocket, fishing line and bait hooks and baby wipes. Around my neck, a compass and flashlight. Let's go, I'm ready!

Comment

Get a SPOT.....if you need it....it will provide a link to help/assistance to your person

Comment

I use a water filter if I can, Water is heavy, there are a bunch of portable filters so you don't need to carry water, at a pound a pint, it gets heavy quickly. figure one gallon of water is needed everyday. Water for five days will be about 40 pounds. I don't carry that much anymore.
            I carry 5 ways to start a fire, I seldom if ever carry matches. There are a variety of flint and steel tools out there that work very well. I also carry a magnesium fire bar, but it is already shaved and in a 35mm film canister. I just take out a wad and strike a spark. I make my own fire starters, out of a cardboard egg carton, dryer lint and paraffin. again I get the magnesium going and the paraffin started will burn for 10 -15 minutes
            I carry a plastic tarp, no smaller than 8x8, plastic tarp hooks and 50 feet of paracord.
            I carry at least one compass, my preferred one is an old Silva Ranger that I have had for many years.
            I use MRE's and save the TP from there. works in a pinch.
            I also carry jerky, enough to keep me going when I don't feel like MRE's.
            Knives? I am a knife freak... I have two Swiss army knives in my pocket as I sit at the computer, also an Emerson CQC7 with the serrated edge. I have a hunting knife that goes on my belt and another that goes in my pack.
            I also have several LED flashlights, they are small, last forever.
            Everything else that I carry is dependent on where I plan on going to.
            That is all that I can think of off the top of my head. There is more in my pack but I would have to go look at it to remember...

Comment

Water,clothing, food, gps locator, more water!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                by jhjimbo
                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                Yesterday, 02:15 PM
              • Pay it forward
                by fitch270
                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
              • Reloading Gear Order
                by fitch270
                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                by dewman
                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                by Ernie
                Any handgun hunters here?
                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X