Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm planing on an elk hunt and would like to know in your opinion what would be a good all around rifle to use for elk and deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm planing on an elk hunt and would like to know in your opinion what would be a good all around rifle to use for elk and deer?

I'm planing on an elk hunt and would like to know in your opinion what would be a good all around rifle to use for elk and deer? Any ideas, Thanks guys. Dan

I would probably have to say that a .30-06 is a good choice. I shoot a .270 and have dropped an elk with it, one shot, but as a rule, it is not the best gun to use on an elk sized animal at anything less than close range. The .30-06 has killed many elk and many deer; I would say that it has proven itself for many years by many people. The .270 is great for deer and CAN kill an elk, but should not be the first choice for elk, IMO. Don't get me wrong, I love my .270 and depending on where I was going would use it again for elk, but for someone who has not hunted them before, go with a .30-06. IMO.

Comment

300 weatherby magnum for elk, 25-06 for deer, 30-06 for both. Just my opinion.

Comment

.300 win mag for both

Comment

At the risk of informing the already educated I think it is important to relay some info in regard to 30 calibre bullets and the merits of the 30-06 and the 300 Magnums. Cartridges such as the .308, the 30-06 and the 300 Magnums all fire the same bullets. Where they differ is in the capabilities of each calibre with respect to velocities. Using the 180 gr bullet, which would be the bullet of choice for elk, the .308 would probably generate 2600 fps, the 30-06 would generate 2800fps and a 300 Win Mag would generate 3000fps. However, slight these margins may appear they do affect bullet drop and impact substantially.
          The 300 Win is the better combo rifle not because it kills a deer any better than the others but that it performs better than the others on larger game. It can also be tailored to the lesser big game animals with 150 and 165 gr bullets that are available.
          If you are recoil sensitive then ignore all previous advice and get the 30-06.

Comment

IMHO~~ the 308Win or the 7mm/08Rem in aney type of rifel is a great all arount caliber, lots of bullits to choes from
            lite on recoil good on Deer and Elk, and yes there
            are meney more calibers out there that are good also.

Comment

Thanks for responses.

Comment

I know rifles are "tools" we utilize in order to get a specific job done. I'm in a similar predicament and I'm really leaning more towards the 7MM-08 as an "all-around" rifle... something I'll be able to use for deer hunting as well as a gun I'll be able to use for a future elk hunt, if need be.

Good luck!

Comment

A 30-06 would probably be your best bet. I hunt with a 30-06 for both mule and blacktail deer and rocky mountain elk.

Comment

Dan I live in Mont. and hunt elk . I'm no expert , but the deader an elk is the better . I used to hunt with a 7 mm Mag ,but I now use a 338 winmag .I've had well hit animals run away ,they didn't go far but it was away from the trail into blow down (very nasty stuff). I really like it when they act dead IMMEDIATLEY .
                    GARY

Comment

Dan I live in Mont. and hunt elk . I'm no expert , but the deader an elk is the better . I used to hunt with a 7 mm Mag ,but I now use a 338 winmag .I've had well hit animals run away ,they didn't go far but it was away from the trail into blow down (very nasty stuff). I really like it when they act dead IMMEDIATLEY .
                      GARY

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                        by jhjimbo
                        Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                        09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                      • Spur of the moment rifle
                        by Amflyer
                        I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                        09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                      • The $20 Shooting Shack
                        by fitch270
                        So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                        09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                      • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                        by dewman
                        one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                        09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                      • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                        by dewman
                        So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                        09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X