Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hunt with a winchester 270wsm with a 3x9x40 nikon scope. The ammo I use is winchester 150gr psp. I have about 10 rounds left a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hunt with a winchester 270wsm with a 3x9x40 nikon scope. The ammo I use is winchester 150gr psp. I have about 10 rounds left a

I hunt with a winchester 270wsm with a 3x9x40 nikon scope. The ammo I use is winchester 150gr psp. I have about 10 rounds left and would like to use these up first, then start using 150gr remmington ballistic tips. Some friends tell me I would have to sight my rifle back in. Others tell me I won't have to because a 150gr bullet is a 150gr bullet. I know if I would go to a havier or light grain bullet I'd have to sight in again. But, just changing to a different 150gr bullet would I have to? Thanks, Flint lock

I have found that in the past I have had to resight my gun just changing the lots of the same companies ammo. Some that I had purchased the previous year did not shoot the same as stuff I had just bought. Doesn't always happen, but it can. Back when I was reloading for my .44, I could tell a difference in the different batches.
    It may not make that much difference, but if someone tells you that it won't, it will. Just because they tried to give you a hard answer. There are many variables to be figured in and different lots may shoot differently.

Comment

They probably will shoot differently.

Comment

I can't add much to what Bo & Kody already said. You should take your rifle to the range and shoot with the new ammo. You'll probably find that you only need to make a slight adjustment. But, in my opinion, you should do that anyway before hunting season even if you don't change ammo to make sure your scope hasn't moved or come loose (stuff happens).

Comment

Ditto all of the above. Different bullets will have different trajectories.

Comment

Some barrels will shoot the same point or very close to the point of aim, many will not, just got to give it a whirl!

Comment

The most important bullet characteristic to look at would be the ballistics coefficeint of each load. Your muzzle velocity should be about the same if the powder is the same, but depending on the Ball. Coef. you will get more or less drop.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                by jhjimbo
                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                Yesterday, 02:15 PM
              • Pay it forward
                by fitch270
                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
              • Reloading Gear Order
                by fitch270
                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                by dewman
                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                by Ernie
                Any handgun hunters here?
                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X