Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other han the money make prospect of the the item, Is it really needed, to put a $1400.00 scope on a $400.00 gun. What are the B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other han the money make prospect of the the item, Is it really needed, to put a $1400.00 scope on a $400.00 gun. What are the B

Other han the money make prospect of the the item, Is it really needed, to put a $1400.00 scope on a $400.00 gun. What are the Benefits, or is there a differance. I have used my scope, paying only about $150.00 for years and have taken many a animal. The area I hunt has a max of about 100 yards to make a shot.

no its just over priced glass!

Comment

For all that additional money, you get extra brightness, clarity and definition across the entire field of the scope. But there is a point of diminishing returns. You do not get double the quality for double the money. Try one percent more.

The $150 scope gives you about 98% of what there is to be had, and the missing 2% is only discernible under the most extreme conditions.

Good hunting and good luck.

Comment

if your shooting under 100 yards you do not need a scope, if your rifle has open sights use em.if you dont have open sights a 3-9x40 scope should be more than enough.

Comment

I have cursed my scope mounted rifles, regardless of the price, as the deer roars thru the trees and I see little else thru the trees. I like to use a quality scope but I keep a rifle with open sights and practice with that rifle.

Comment

Unfortunately, I wear bifocals. That means if I can see iron sights the target is out of focus, if I can see the target, the sights are out of focus. When I hunt I don't wear glasses at all. They get in the way of my binocs and I use a 4X12 scope. I can see fine real far away so its no problem. I hate wearing glasses, never had to until I got into my forties. Pain getting old and things not working a swell as they used.

Comment

The choice of scopes comes down to common sense and your personal finances. I try to get the best possible scope that I can for my sons. My choice, is a 3-9X40 tasco world class. As long as I'm satisfied with clarity and brightness and consistantly hit my target is a good enough choice for me. Try different variations, and pick one that you are comfortable with.

Comment

Bo, I wear progressive bifocals and have found an answer to the problem you are encountering. I am told that in bifocals in particular, the lens to the inner sector of the lense( meaning closest to you nose) do not provide a sharp focus. That area of the lens can made to give a clear view. For some of us that translates into seeing your open sights and the distant target. Prior to getting glasses made in this manner I even had problems using rifle scopes as I would see a double crosshair.

Comment

As to how much money to sink into a rifle scope, I would venture we all like to say the inexpensive model has served us well and stick to our guns. There are, however, more than a few who have started with this view and had a bad experience which sent them marching to the gun shop to throw big money at the problem. That is not to say that the bargain scope won't give a life time of service. I would suggest that higher recoil rifles, rifles to be used in extreme temperatures and the rifle you are taking on the hunt of a lifetime ($) should be scoped with the higher quality rifle scopes. Call it a case of playing the odds, sometimes you do get what you paid for!

Comment

I think there's a pretty big difference between a $50 scope and a $200 scope. But a $1000 scope isn't 5 times better than the $200 one. (Like a $20 bottle of wine is a lot better than a $5 bottle of wine, but I don't even know what a $100 bottle of wine tastes like.) If you can afford it, I think a $300 or $400 dollar scope is worth the extra money over the bargain model. But to me, the top of the line isn't worth so much money.

Comment

I've heard that you should expect to pay for a scope about the same price as the cost of the rifle. I quess that makes sense. Why buy a $2,000.00 rifle and put a $100.00 scope on it?
                      A mid-priced scope, say around $400.00 will have overall better optic quality than a cheaper scope of $100.00. Scopes are a bit more complicated than we might think, it just isn't tuning the knobs for elevation and windage. There is glass quality, number of coatings on the lens, internal movements such as gears, etc. and that is where the cost of money comes in. Cheaper scopes will have less lens coatings, etc. which in turn the optics are minimal. This is where the benefits of a costlier scope comes in; more lens coatings, better glass quality, overall better optics. Do you need a $2,000.00 scope on a $600.00 rifle, probably not; but than again you don't want a cheap scope on your rifle either. As the saying goes "You get what you paid for."

Comment

no just buy a 3-9 leupold my cousin bought one for 300 and it is an awesome scope

Comment

Originally posted by patrick88 View Post
                          no its just over priced glass!
                          Yep, except when you need to see clearly in low light

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake View Post
                            if your shooting under 100 yards you do not need a scope, if your rifle has open sights use em.if you dont have open sights a 3-9x40 scope should be more than enough.
                            Yep, except when you need to see clearly in low light

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                              As to how much money to sink into a rifle scope, I would venture we all like to say the inexpensive model has served us well and stick to our guns. There are, however, more than a few who have started with this view and had a bad experience which sent them marching to the gun shop to throw big money at the problem. That is not to say that the bargain scope won't give a life time of service. I would suggest that higher recoil rifles, rifles to be used in extreme temperatures and the rifle you are taking on the hunt of a lifetime ($) should be scoped with the higher quality rifle scopes. Call it a case of playing the odds, sometimes you do get what you paid for!
                              That's my thinking too

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                                by dewman
                                So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                                Today, 10:12 PM
                              • Now That's Service
                                by jhjimbo
                                Had my local Jeep dealer mount two tires and rotate some. When they did that they also spray painted my rims to cover up some brake dust stains I could...
                                Today, 07:57 PM
                              • Lost some cover; pic heavy
                                by fitch270
                                ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                                Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              • Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X