Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other han the money make prospect of the the item, Is it really needed, to put a $1400.00 scope on a $400.00 gun. What are the B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seadog View Post
    I think there's a pretty big difference between a $50 scope and a $200 scope. But a $1000 scope isn't 5 times better than the $200 one. (Like a $20 bottle of wine is a lot better than a $5 bottle of wine, but I don't even know what a $100 bottle of wine tastes like.) If you can afford it, I think a $300 or $400 dollar scope is worth the extra money over the bargain model. But to me, the top of the line isn't worth so much money.
    That's a good way to phrase it

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnie View Post
      I've heard that you should expect to pay for a scope about the same price as the cost of the rifle. I quess that makes sense. Why buy a $2,000.00 rifle and put a $100.00 scope on it?
      A mid-priced scope, say around $400.00 will have overall better optic quality than a cheaper scope of $100.00. Scopes are a bit more complicated than we might think, it just isn't tuning the knobs for elevation and windage. There is glass quality, number of coatings on the lens, internal movements such as gears, etc. and that is where the cost of money comes in. Cheaper scopes will have less lens coatings, etc. which in turn the optics are minimal. This is where the benefits of a costlier scope comes in; more lens coatings, better glass quality, overall better optics. Do you need a $2,000.00 scope on a $600.00 rifle, probably not; but than again you don't want a cheap scope on your rifle either. As the saying goes "You get what you paid for."
      I agree to some extent, but at some point the 2x rule falls apart

Comment

Originally posted by jlipe View Post
        no just buy a 3-9 leupold my cousin bought one for 300 and it is an awesome scope
        I'm pleased with all of the Leupold scopes I have

Comment

I'm with the others on this. A lower cost scope should work fine unless you need to see detail in low light conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
            I'm with the others on this. A lower cost scope should work fine unless you need to see detail in low light conditions.
            I really like my Leupold VX-3i

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
              by dewman
              So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
              Today, 10:12 PM
            • Now That's Service
              by jhjimbo
              Had my local Jeep dealer mount two tires and rotate some. When they did that they also spray painted my rims to cover up some brake dust stains I could...
              Today, 07:57 PM
            • Lost some cover; pic heavy
              by fitch270
              ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
              Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            • Covid-19
              by jhjimbo
              Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
              09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
            • Spur of the moment rifle
              by Amflyer
              I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
              09-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X