What is known as the living fossil ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is known as the living fossil ?

Horseshoe Crabs have been around for 450 million years, 200 million years longer than the dinosaurs.
    They play an important part in the ecosystem.

Found along beaches in the Ocean they lay eggs that are an important food source for shore birds. As the numbers go down so do the numbers of shore birds. Their blue blood, called Limulus amebocyte lysate, is important part of pharmaceutical research.
    Volunteers comb the beaches at night to count the crabs and tag them by drilling a small hole in their shell and afixing a tag. One crab tagged in Rhode Island in 2009 was identified on Long Island in 2014. Crabs take 8 years to mature.
    They are put in bait bags and used to catch eels,whelks or conchs. Strict harvest regulations are in place to protect their numbers.

Comment

Keith Richards?

Comment

Here is a picture of The Clacton spear, 400,000 years old.
        I wonder what our civilization will be like 400,000 years from now.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
          Chances are that humans will be extinct in 400,000 years. Therefore there will be no "our civilization". Get a way to move people off this planet and that time may be extended.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/10/06/we-have-a-pretty-good-idea-of-when-humans-will-go-extinct/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0adf7150a755

Comment

That is an interesting article. I do think we will annihilate ourselves much before the 400,000. Nuclear, microbial, viral or something like radiation will do us in.

Comment

The "coelacanth"!

https://www.wired.com/2015/03/creature-feature-10-fun-facts-coelacanth/

Comment

I don't think we will become extinct, but we may evolve into a higher form of life with no Democrats.

Comment

Interesting. I got yelled at once by a naturalist at Chincoteague Seashore Nature Center for picking up a horseshoe crab by the tail. I deserved it, too; I should have known better. On a related note, I was watching "River Monsters" the other night and Jeremy Wade was saying that there are Greenland sharks swimming today that are over 400 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                    Keith Richards?
                    PH, bet you can't top this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8rtiRNwfvg

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                      Keith Richards?
                      LOL! That was great Jimbo! Sometimes I sing that song when doing karaoke but not quiet as well haha!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget