X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jcarlin
    replied
    Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
    Not sure about the legality anymore. Once upon a time we shot rough fish with pellet guns. Hit them between the eyes from straight above. The fish would be stunned if not dead and easily retrieved in a downstream eddy on a small river or creek.
    Charlie, I see later you mentioned Carp. What's your definition of 'rough fish'? I've just never heard the term.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
    I think it would be very awkward since there are no guides and no reel seat on a pellet gun. You would just have to tie your line to the barrel right behind the front sight so it wouldn't slip off, and it would be a short, hard to hold pole. I think you'd be better off with a sapling if you don't want to spend the money on a real fishing pole.
    That was my thought too Pineywoods, however, I could not put it all together as nicely as you did. I like
    your way of thinking !!!

Leave a comment:

• pineywoods
    replied
    I think it would be very awkward since there are no guides and no reel seat on a pellet gun. You would just have to tie your line to the barrel right behind the front sight so it wouldn't slip off, and it would be a short, hard to hold pole. I think you'd be better off with a sapling if you don't want to spend the money on a real fishing pole.

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied
    Not sure about the legality anymore. Once upon a time we shot rough fish with pellet guns. Hit them between the eyes from straight above. The fish would be stunned if not dead and easily retrieved in a downstream eddy on a small river or creek.
    Lol Because of the deflection of shooting in water ,aim underneath the fish to hit him,Ive shot hundreds

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied
    Lol Because of the deflection of shooting in water ,aim underneath the fish to hit him,Ive shot hundreds

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied
    Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
    Doesn't sound very sporting to me,but if you want to have some real fun try using your fishing rod weighted to hit starlings and blackbirds in the yard
    Lol Charlie,sometimes I just can't throwing something out there and see whete it goes

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
    Not anywhere that I'm aware of. A better question would be: Why the heck would you want to fish with a pellet gun?? It would be very ineffective at best. Use a rod and reel, or try bowfishing, when legal.
    hft, the photo isn't me. I found it online under bow fishing photos. I selected it because it showed the bright green string. Sorry, in the future I will state the photo was found online.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Not anywhere that I'm aware of. A better question would be: Why the heck would you want to fish with a pellet gun?? It would be very ineffective at best. Use a rod and reel, or try bowfishing, when legal.
    I think it would be difficult to cast !!!!

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    That's true. To each their own I guess.

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    Sometimes different is interesting just because it's different?

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
    Doesn't sound very sporting to me,but if you want to have some real fun try using your fishing rod weighted to hit starlings and blackbirds in the yard
    Perhaps you'd prefer dynamite then. Not sporting but sure is spectacular!

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    Serious. Of course the fish must be close to the surface for exactly the reason you state. I should have specified that but then anyone trying it would soon figure it out. Carp frequently surface feed on scum that's a perfect time to place a pellet. Or if you prefer you can catch them on a fly rod then too.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
    Tim, I would never shoot a fish in the water with a gun.
    It could easily swim away wounded and die.

I would use a bow with a string attached to the arrow.
    When you hit a fish, you can reel the fish back to your boat.
    We shot carp in the town creek when we were young teenagers.
    It's was blast.
    Gary
    @JM, We bowfish for a lot of stuff. Carp, buffalo, gar, dogfish, quillback, redhorse, and suckers. We eat the big gar, as well as the quillback, redhorse, suckers, and the smaller buffalo. Any buffalo over 15# are inedibly greasy. The carp either go for fertilizer, or we donate them to the local eagles. Our best outing was 83 carp in one day when they were spawning. We've shot 50+ fish a couple times at night, in about 4 hours. A trip down to the Missouri or Illinois rivers is definitely on my agenda. Can't wait to try my hand at those Asian carp. It's kind of funny - I'm just the opposite about fishing. A half-hour without catching something and I'm ready to go nuts. Maybe I should get tested for ADHD, lol.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    Seriously? Are you pulling our leg charlie? Even the pellets from the high powered air rifles I shoot would slow down very fast in water. The only way it would be possible is if they were right on the surface.

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Hotel guest.
    by 99explorer
    A woman is sitting in her hotel room when there is a knock on the door.
    She opens the door to find a man that she has never seen before.
    The...
    Today, 08:41 PM
  • Plane crash.
    by 99explorer
    A passenger plane crashes on the exact border between the U.S. and Canada.
    Where do they bury the survivors?
    Today, 03:16 PM
  • Animals on the ark.
    by 99explorer
    How many animals of each species did Moses take on the ark with him?
    Today, 02:08 PM
  • The college student puzzle..
    by 99explorer
    A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
    The first station is a mile from home,...
    Yesterday, 01:58 PM
  • Pieces of gold.
    by 99explorer
    Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
    08-23-2019, 06:45 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X