Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i fish with a pellet gun

can i fish with a pellet gun

You would be better off with a bow and arrow.

Comment

WHY ???

Comment

Tim, I would never shoot a fish in the water with a gun.
        It could easily swim away wounded and die.

I would use a bow with a string attached to the arrow.
        When you hit a fish, you can reel the fish back to your boat.
        We shot carp in the town creek when we were young teenagers.
        It's was blast.
        Gary
        Attached Files

Comment

No. Save it for plinking and small game.

Comment

Not anywhere that I'm aware of. A better question would be: Why the heck would you want to fish with a pellet gun?? It would be very ineffective at best. Use a rod and reel, or try bowfishing, when legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post

It's was blast.
              Gary
              What are you fishing for there? Rays? I bowfish almost every weekend from May through August. The only problem is that it has almost ruined rod-and-reel fishing for me. Just not enough action usually.

Comment

It's was blast.
                Gary
                @hft,
                What do you all bowfish for? Carp? You should come down for some of the tourneys on the Missouri River. It's amazing how many fish people shoot in just a few hours. I never really understood people that needed to catch fish non stop to enjoy fishing. I can honestly fish a lake all day without catching anything and be perfectly fine with it.

Comment

Not sure about the legality anymore. Once upon a time we shot rough fish with pellet guns. Hit them between the eyes from straight above. The fish would be stunned if not dead and easily retrieved in a downstream eddy on a small river or creek.

Comment

Doesn't sound very sporting to me,but if you want to have some real fun try using your fishing rod weighted to hit starlings and blackbirds in the yard

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                      Not sure about the legality anymore. Once upon a time we shot rough fish with pellet guns. Hit them between the eyes from straight above. The fish would be stunned if not dead and easily retrieved in a downstream eddy on a small river or creek.
                      Seriously? Are you pulling our leg charlie? Even the pellets from the high powered air rifles I shoot would slow down very fast in water. The only way it would be possible is if they were right on the surface.

Comment

It's was blast.
                        Gary
                        @JM, We bowfish for a lot of stuff. Carp, buffalo, gar, dogfish, quillback, redhorse, and suckers. We eat the big gar, as well as the quillback, redhorse, suckers, and the smaller buffalo. Any buffalo over 15# are inedibly greasy. The carp either go for fertilizer, or we donate them to the local eagles. Our best outing was 83 carp in one day when they were spawning. We've shot 50+ fish a couple times at night, in about 4 hours. A trip down to the Missouri or Illinois rivers is definitely on my agenda. Can't wait to try my hand at those Asian carp. It's kind of funny - I'm just the opposite about fishing. A half-hour without catching something and I'm ready to go nuts. Maybe I should get tested for ADHD, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                          Serious. Of course the fish must be close to the surface for exactly the reason you state. I should have specified that but then anyone trying it would soon figure it out. Carp frequently surface feed on scum that's a perfect time to place a pellet. Or if you prefer you can catch them on a fly rod then too.

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                            Doesn't sound very sporting to me,but if you want to have some real fun try using your fishing rod weighted to hit starlings and blackbirds in the yard
                            Perhaps you'd prefer dynamite then. Not sporting but sure is spectacular!

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                              Not anywhere that I'm aware of. A better question would be: Why the heck would you want to fish with a pellet gun?? It would be very ineffective at best. Use a rod and reel, or try bowfishing, when legal.
                              Sometimes different is interesting just because it's different?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X