Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best type of bait and set up to use for smelting in Maine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigjake
    replied
    Im a little farther north than you, but in these parts smelting is just about over.December and Januarary are peak, after that success rates drop quickly.Not to mention further into Feburary smelt start filing up with roe for their spring spawn,and this sees to make them less desirable tablefare.There might be some larger tommy's hanging around, and if so they usually keep smelts on the run.

Leave a comment:

• Derik Lee
    replied
    cool thanks, yeah my buddy got permission to use a shack he helped some guy with out near the coast on a river. They got some tommy cod out of it but haven't heard of many smelt being taken as of yet.

Leave a comment:

• bigjake
    replied
    Raw shrimp pieces. I use a 1/2 oz bell sinker then tie in a small tear drop jig 6" up, then another tear drop jig 6" higher again.Its like a tiny dropshot rig.Once I have caught a few smelts,I cut the throat piece out and use it for bait. Turn a fish upside down and cut across just behind the gills. Grab the cut piece and pull towards the mouth. A triangular piece of bait is produced.
    A few other tricks to drawn smelts to your hole(Im guessing your ice fishing for them) is to take a few egg shells and crush them. Sprinkle the crushed shells over the water periodically,and as they sink they attract smelts.A tin of oil packed sardines, poked full of holes with the tip of a sturdy knife and dropped to the bottom will also drawn in smelt.

Leave a comment:

• Whats the best type of bait and set up to use for smelting in Maine?

Whats the best type of bait and set up to use for smelting in Maine?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Happy Thanksgiving !
    by bowhunter75richard
    Wishing all users on the site a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving ! How far will some of you be driving to spend this great family time with your families...
    11-25-2019, 01:39 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X