Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you wear for a cold-weather hunting coat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MattM37
    started a topic What do you wear for a cold-weather hunting coat?

What do you wear for a cold-weather hunting coat?

I usually just layer on the wool shirts and fleece pullovers.

• Red Angus
    replied
    Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    When it's cold (for Alabama), I'll wear insulated bibs, coat, and boots over layers. Topped with an insulated hood / facemask. Sometimes, I'll cover with a poncho for a windbreaker.
    Low 40's is cold?? You should come visit sometime in January or February when it's single digits with a 35mph NW wind. Cold takes on a whole new meaning.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    When it's cold (for Alabama), I'll wear insulated bibs, coat, and boots over layers. Topped with an insulated hood / facemask. Sometimes, I'll cover with a poncho for a windbreaker.
    Dang Jumbo, it was probably in the low 40's that cold morning in Alabama

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    Filson Double Mackinaw Parka with Filson Vest and wool shirt. Never get cold there.
    If you have not tried a muffler on real cold days you should try one. It hangs on the neck and you do not wear gloves so it is easy to fire gun or bow bare hands. Also, you can put a hand warmer in there if you like.
    I use the Jon-E hand warmer so I can use it on the face.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
    Layering of clothes does not help to keep you warm if the layers are not loose enough to trap air between them. It is this trapped air that works as a insulating factor and not the number of layers that fit too tightly against each other. Loose fitting sweat pants under a pair of loose fitting wool pants will trap the warm body heat around the legs much better than a pair of tight long johns. The same with the upper body. Keep the clothing loose fitting to keep warm. A wool cap or stocking cap and a good face mask make all the difference between being comfortable and wanting to leave the woods too soon. The big problem is keeping the feet warm and this can be helped by keeping the blood in the legs warm as it feeds into the feet, and this is accomplished with the loose fitting clothes around the legs !
    I have this char-heater to take in my ground blind with me. Works great, I start it like a charcoal grill at camp. It is triple wall so it rides in my ATV basket with cover on. I carry zip lock bags with extra coals. When it dies down a little, just tap it and it perks right up. Up in Mich. it is so cold, the Char-Heat Co, sells a big wool poncho to cover over with and you bring the heater right inside with you. The heat escapes from the top and goes straight up so game never smells it. I don't use the poncho, there is enough heat coming up under my parka to keep me warm. My feet have 'Arctic Shield' booties that go right over my hunting boots. Great when you want to take a stand for a long time. Not for walking. Well worth the $30 or so they cost.
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/charheat-heater?a=403594

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    What's all this, the sun is shining.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I wear a Remington camo quilted jacket that I picked up at a country Walmart one cold morning years ago.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Originally posted by Treestand View Post
    A long sleeve Camo shirt, long Camo Cargo Paints, Snake Boots,Camo Hat with bug vale, Camo Gloves. 1 Rifle, 3 round of 7mm/08 ammo, 1 Energy Bar and by 7:30 to 8:45 1 6pt or Larger Buck on my ATV back to Camp.
    That must have been one of those snow snakes we've been hearing about.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Layering of clothes does not help to keep you warm if the layers are not loose enough to trap air between them. It is this trapped air that works as a insulating factor and not the number of layers that fit too tightly against each other. Loose fitting sweat pants under a pair of loose fitting wool pants will trap the warm body heat around the legs much better than a pair of tight long johns. The same with the upper body. Keep the clothing loose fitting to keep warm. A wool cap or stocking cap and a good face mask make all the difference between being comfortable and wanting to leave the woods too soon. The big problem is keeping the feet warm and this can be helped by keeping the blood in the legs warm as it feeds into the feet, and this is accomplished with the loose fitting clothes around the legs !
    If it is not compressing it is loose, and if there is compression, the insulating factor is destroyed, or at least greatly diminished. But your principal is most correct !

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Yep, the loose layering is important, but also remember that wool and polar fleece trap air within their fibers (so does cotton when it's absolutely dry, but only then). As long as the next layer doesn't compress the one underneath, layering that doesn't seem all that "loose" is still effective.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    LOL! I suppose so! But state orange regs and safety come first. That's the brightest orange hat I have.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Without the orange hat Pighunter, one could confuse you for your avatar, or the other way around, lol !

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Red Angus
    replied
    Insolated overalls and layered sweatshirts + a coat and a Carhartt stocking cap to round out the outfit. If it's really cold I'll wear a fleece scarf.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Originally posted by Treestand View Post
    A long sleeve Camo shirt, long Camo Cargo Paints, Snake Boots,Camo Hat with bug vale, Camo Gloves. 1 Rifle, 3 round of 7mm/08 ammo, 1 Energy Bar and by 7:30 to 8:45 1 6pt or Larger Buck on my ATV back to Camp.
    Snake Boots are a regular gear in North Fl, with Timber rattlers around. I had one coiled around one leg of my metal ladder stand one sunny morning @ 40*

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget