Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you wear for a cold-weather hunting coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you wear for a cold-weather hunting coat?

I usually just layer on the wool shirts and fleece pullovers.

Filson Double Mackinaw Parka with Filson Vest and wool shirt. Never get cold there.
    If you have not tried a muffler on real cold days you should try one. It hangs on the neck and you do not wear gloves so it is easy to fire gun or bow bare hands. Also, you can put a hand warmer in there if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
      Filson Double Mackinaw Parka with Filson Vest and wool shirt. Never get cold there.
      If you have not tried a muffler on real cold days you should try one. It hangs on the neck and you do not wear gloves so it is easy to fire gun or bow bare hands. Also, you can put a hand warmer in there if you like.
      Did you get them at Old Forge Hardware?

Comment

I bought a vest at the hardware store and a couple of Filson hats from the other outdoor store that I can not remember the name.

Comment

A long sleeve Camo shirt, long Camo Cargo Paints, Snake Boots,Camo Hat with bug vale, Camo Gloves. 1 Rifle, 3 round of 7mm/08 ammo, 1 Energy Bar and by 7:30 to 8:45 1 6pt or Larger Buck on my ATV back to Camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
            A long sleeve Camo shirt, long Camo Cargo Paints, Snake Boots,Camo Hat with bug vale, Camo Gloves. 1 Rifle, 3 round of 7mm/08 ammo, 1 Energy Bar and by 7:30 to 8:45 1 6pt or Larger Buck on my ATV back to Camp.
            Probably a little different than your old Catskill Mountain hunting outfit!

Comment

Layering of clothes does not help to keep you warm if the layers are not loose enough to trap air between them. It is this trapped air that works as a insulating factor and not the number of layers that fit too tightly against each other. Loose fitting sweat pants under a pair of loose fitting wool pants will trap the warm body heat around the legs much better than a pair of tight long johns. The same with the upper body. Keep the clothing loose fitting to keep warm. A wool cap or stocking cap and a good face mask make all the difference between being comfortable and wanting to leave the woods too soon. The big problem is keeping the feet warm and this can be helped by keeping the blood in the legs warm as it feeds into the feet, and this is accomplished with the loose fitting clothes around the legs !

Comment

Yes, Big Difference and a lot easier on my bill fold, NO Dry cleaning my snowmobile suit, washing long-johns tops & bottoms, NO more heavy hunting gear. our cold weather is 30* 9-12 Days a year.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                  Layering of clothes does not help to keep you warm if the layers are not loose enough to trap air between them. It is this trapped air that works as a insulating factor and not the number of layers that fit too tightly against each other. Loose fitting sweat pants under a pair of loose fitting wool pants will trap the warm body heat around the legs much better than a pair of tight long johns. The same with the upper body. Keep the clothing loose fitting to keep warm. A wool cap or stocking cap and a good face mask make all the difference between being comfortable and wanting to leave the woods too soon. The big problem is keeping the feet warm and this can be helped by keeping the blood in the legs warm as it feeds into the feet, and this is accomplished with the loose fitting clothes around the legs !
                  I recall one deer season (as a Kid) it was well below zero and the hammer on my Win 94- was frozen in half cock as a nice young buck pass me by, Back at the House wash all the oil out of the rifle with lighter fluid. That will never happen to me again!!

Comment

I look forward to cold hunting , yet I don,t tolerate being cold very well. BH Richard recipe is one I also employed with the addition of large coveralls and lacrosse PAC boots. One winter I was bowhunting while a friend hunted with a rifle. We met at lunch and I reported to have seen deer but none within bow range and I agreed to post him at my stand. So after he settled in my stand I decided to stay put beneath the stand and watch. Well I grew weary from the mornings efforts and soon was fast asleep. I remember being awakened by my friend and I asked him what's up? He said he that he was froze out and was ready to leave. The hunt was over , no animal tagged. You normally can,t tag from home, and if your going to be out in the cold , you need to be prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                      Not only are loose clothes warmer they are much more comfortable to wear.

Comment

The last thing I worry about hunting in cold weather is being snake bit treestand.

Comment

Jimbo I am glad you mentioned a muffler as I forgot to include such. With a chemical hand warmer, they can add a few hours to the hunt !

Comment

Snake Boots are a regular gear in North Fl, with Timber rattlers around. I had one coiled around one leg of my metal ladder stand one sunny morning @ 40*

Comment

Insolated overalls and layered sweatshirts + a coat and a Carhartt stocking cap to round out the outfit. If it's really cold I'll wear a fleece scarf.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X