Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's some tuff conditions encountered as you left to hunt or fish.?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's some tuff conditions encountered as you left to hunt or fish.?

Perserverance

Frazzled wife with young kids watching me walk out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
      LOL! I can't think of any conditions tougher than that!

Comment

I agree with JCarlin. That is the toughest part of going on a trip to deer camp. No matter how many times my wife tells me she wants me to go to camp for opening weekend/week by myself and have that alone time, I still feel guilt when leaving. You want to be excited and show your enthusiasm, but don’t want to rub it in the nose of your spouse who will be home with the kids by themselves. It’s a strange dichotomy. The youngest is now two, so only a couple of more years before she’s ready to stalk the woods. Ok, maybe more like 5-7 yrs but I think “a couple” sounds better.

Comment

Blizzards, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes AND volcanic eruptions can't top jcarlin! LOL!

April, 2015:
          I headed out on a spring turkey hunt before daylight.
          When I stepped out the door, I was greeted with thunder, lightening, wind gusts to 35mph and 58°F!
          I stood on the porch and considered a retreat. I hadn't so much as SEEN a turkey since 2011!
          I'm going hunting!
          When I parked at the gate, I could feel the winds gusts rocking the one ton truck and noted a few splatters of rain on the windshield that accompanied the thunder and lightning!
          Again I considered retreat...but onstead, grabbed gear and headed out across the soggy pasture to my "ambush"!
          I was lucky enough to shoot a bird, but I think it was more "suicide by hunter" on his part than shrewd planning and calling technique on my part!
          By the time I finally made it back to the truck, the only thing that had changed was the spatters of rain had turned into a down pour....accompanied by thunder, lightning and 35/40mph wind gusts!
          The only thing dry....well, nothing was dry!

Comment

I hunt on the farm so about the worst thing can happen is one of the neighbors calling to tell me they have a bunch of red cows in their yard whilst I'm on my way out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt_Fish_Eat View Post
              I agree with JCarlin. That is the toughest part of going on a trip to deer camp. No matter how many times my wife tells me she wants me to go to camp for opening weekend/week by myself and have that alone time, I still feel guilt when leaving. You want to be excited and show your enthusiasm, but don’t want to rub it in the nose of your spouse who will be home with the kids by themselves. It’s a strange dichotomy. The youngest is now two, so only a couple of more years before she’s ready to stalk the woods. Ok, maybe more like 5-7 yrs but I think “a couple” sounds better.
              I don't get out to camp much because of it. My kids are a little older, my daughter who's still in the house isn't interested, and my son's not ready for camp yet. This is dad's trip.

I'm one of those guys who fits it in when I can (my BJJ class is 5:30 AM) without it infringing on the rythms of the house much. Got a couple of school age kids in multiple sports and activities on end of the day, buses that don't leave until a normal person's working hours, and 2 full time professional parents and being gone for a few days really puts a strain on the person who's home. I don't like it at all when it's me either. Wife and kids are otherwise occupied this weekend. I made the call that I'm leaving for camp after the gym tomorrow. Haven't picked up a firearm for deer in a couple of years due to this... archery I do locally. I can take a few hours here and there to do that, no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt_Fish_Eat View Post
                That sounds like a good plan to keep the house running smoothly. I wish I lived in an area to sneak in a BJJ class early in the morning, instead I’m up at quarter til 3 running/kettlebells/or yoga before out of the door at 5 for work. My wife stays home with the kids which makes it more difficult to leave that one weekend a year. She already has the kids alone most days. She did a doe camp trip to NC one year while I was at deer camp which worked out great, but that was before the baby. It’s all about balance. Having that time alone and being there for the family. But even knowing that, I come out of the woods or don’t go out some days around the house because my heart just isn’t in the hunt as much as it is staying in and being there when the family wakes up. They do like when I use venison breakfast sausage for biscuits and gravy. Which means I HAVE to hunt some days each year!

Comment

Gazing through my bino’s at Argali rams as they work higher to bedding grounds, their sides heaving, tongues out, froth on mouths. They are already 2000 feet greater altitude than my 15000 feet. Knowing I must climb even higher and circle from above. There is a foot of snow on the ground. The day got even tougher

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                    Gazing through my bino’s at Argali rams as they work higher to bedding grounds, their sides heaving, tongues out, froth on mouths. They are already 2000 feet greater altitude than my 15000 feet. Knowing I must climb even higher and circle from above. There is a foot of snow on the ground. The day got even tougher
                    DO tell more plz ,your descriptive verse has my curiosity wondering what happened next

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                      I looked up Argali Rams,not for amateurs or feint of heart. The photos show just how huge and magnificent these animals are,in a desolate region of our planet. This was also my first encounter with Happy Myles,he is right up there with Jim Shockley.

Comment

You got it first swing. I was going to say, "cold, wet weather and an angry wife to go home to", but you topped it off with having kids, too.

Comment

By the way, PH, congrats on the Iron Bowl win---wait'll next year. RTR

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                            Blizzards, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes AND volcanic eruptions can't top jcarlin! LOL!

April, 2015:
                            I headed out on a spring turkey hunt before daylight.
                            When I stepped out the door, I was greeted with thunder, lightening, wind gusts to 35mph and 58°F!
                            I stood on the porch and considered a retreat. I hadn't so much as SEEN a turkey since 2011!
                            I'm going hunting!
                            When I parked at the gate, I could feel the winds gusts rocking the one ton truck and noted a few splatters of rain on the windshield that accompanied the thunder and lightning!
                            Again I considered retreat...but onstead, grabbed gear and headed out across the soggy pasture to my "ambush"!
                            I was lucky enough to shoot a bird, but I think it was more "suicide by hunter" on his part than shrewd planning and calling technique on my part!
                            By the time I finally made it back to the truck, the only thing that had changed was the spatters of rain had turned into a down pour....accompanied by thunder, lightning and 35/40mph wind gusts!
                            The only thing dry....well, nothing was dry!
                            Thx for the story,we put ourselves in tough places sometimes I think just because we can.

Comment

My pick-up truck broke down up in Rochwood, Maine. I can't remember what it was but the repair bill was cheap. The auto mechanics do not wear masks and rob you in Maine. He fixed my vehicle for 1/3 the price back in Jersey.
                              Nice good folks up there, in the Pine Tree state. ?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget