Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

During the 2011 deer season, there was a full moon. The amount of deer that we saw during those few days decreased greatly. Does

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• During the 2011 deer season, there was a full moon. The amount of deer that we saw during those few days decreased greatly. Does

During the 2011 deer season, there was a full moon. The amount of deer that we saw during those few days decreased greatly. Does the light given off by the moon during its full phase effect the deers feeding pattern? If so, where can we find the deer during this time? Thanks, Hunter Girl 1

Early morning and right before dark are your best chance of seeing a deer on a day with a full moon. Many deer are nockturnal, so the full moon does effect their eating patterns. Try to get between a food source and the area you think they are going to bed down.

Comment

Yep, it certainly does decrease the daylight movement, sometimes dramatically.
      I hate to be discouraging, but in my opinion there's really nothing to be done about it, you can still hunt it you want to, but be prepared to see little or nothing in shooting light, even in the rut.

Comment

according to some studies I've read,deer move more during nite hours w/a full moon.with or without the moon they still travel at nite just they cover more ground during full moon.Years ago I was taught that whenever the moon whether full or is directly over head,deer will move again 12 hours from that time. whether this is a fact or not I don't know,but it has given me incentive to be active and alert at times of the day when other hunters are elsewhere and has produced oppourtunities. move a little and look a lot. good luck

Comment

Yah,I think it has something to do with it.
          Did you get that snow during late buck?I saw the most deer during the snow.That's when I shot my buck this year.We saw 7 deer that day.One buck was chasing a doe across the road.

Comment

If rut was in during a full moon, they probably were not eating much anyway. Moving a lot, It also stimulates sex drive in most animal. Has something to do with barometric preasure the tides ect.

Comment

I notice more deer out when its about to be darkest moon. I am begining to believe that the deer are moving the most at nite during the full moon, simply because they can see to feed better during bright nites of a full moon.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget