Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am looking for new ways to fish Northern Pike. Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking for new ways to fish Northern Pike. Any suggestions?

I am looking for new ways to fish Northern Pike. Any suggestions?

in my opinion , one of the funnest ways to fish for northerns is spot fishing them with flyfishing gear in early spring when pike move into the shallows.I would use at least an 8 weight rod, with large bucktail streamers, and use either a flurocarbon leader or light steel leader. good polarized sunglasses are handy to spot fish cruising the shallow water too. stealth is crucial, because in skinny water pike are on high alert. look for weedy back bays that drop off quickly to deeper water, if flycasting isnt your sport the same area's can be fished with a 5" fluke style softbait or a suspending/floating style minnow bait. i usually downsize my pike lures in the spring of the year, because forage food is usually smaller in spring .fish your chosen lure a little slower in early morning, when water temps are cooler, as the sun warms the waters try a faster retrieve, and or fish the deeper water edge of the bay

Comment

I like BigJake's comments. FlyFishing for Northerns sounds like fun! This time of the year we also fish the outside edges of weedbeds that are near deep drop offs. Sometimes dangling live minnows on a bobber on the upwind or upstream side of a weedbed produces action if the standard spoon or jig fails. You can also check out the OL Message Board entry that I made on Northern Pike Fishing on the St Lawrence River or click on this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAaEAgz4aZs for one of our videos pertaining to this topic. Good Luck. Capt Ed.

Comment

absolutely try fly fishing...there is nothing more exciting than a pike's taking of a big topwater pattern...get a good 7-8 weight rod and some frog or mouse patterns and have fun!

Comment

Larry Kernehan is senior Fishing Guide on the St. Lawerence River in Alexandria Bay, Ny and fishs for both Northern Pike and Bass. He's for hire at: 315-482-9368 and his webpage: http:www.gisco.net/fishing/bayguide.htm

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The college student puzzle..
            by 99explorer
            A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
            The first station is a mile from home,...
            Yesterday, 01:58 PM
          • Pieces of gold.
            by 99explorer
            Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
            08-23-2019, 06:45 PM
          • Mansion on fire.
            by 99explorer
            One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
            It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
            08-23-2019, 10:04 AM
          • Firing squad.
            by 99explorer
            A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
            This final shot does...
            08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
          • Lost in the woods.
            by 99explorer
            You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
            One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
            Two Indians...
            08-22-2019, 01:24 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X