Hit the river finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    In TX and OK, a PFD has to be "within reach" of every person on board.
    I never put mine on.
    The wife never takes hers off! (Vest type)
    I find the vests are in the way if they aren’t being worn. At least on the 14’ rowboat and the canoe. They usually end up on the floor getting filthy wet or tangled up with something. When it’s hot I’ll sit on mine but they make a lousy cushion as well. If we were on the water more often I’d just invest in the automatic inflatable style.

Comment

Yeah, I don't like them either. I seldom take one unless we go out onto the local reservoir where they have a lake patrol.
      There are no nearby rivers or creeks large enough to actually float fish except the Red River and you can wade it almost anywhere. If you fall out of the boat and you can stand up, why have a PFD?

Few folks realize the Red River is a big, wide, wet sand bed. It's constantly changing course and becomes extremely dangerous when swollen! The banks are quick sand surprises. The bank is hard, wet sand...suddenly you're calf deep in wet, shifting sand!

Comment

My PFD came from Bass Pro and is comfortable to wear when paddling. In the pockets are a Spyderco knife, compass, whistle, lighter, and container of waterproof matches.

Comment

I that looks quite useful, not a bad idea for wading in a stout current even. Could almost pass for a fly vest.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            I that looks quite useful, not a bad idea for wading in a stout current even. Could almost pass for a fly vest.
            I've been pleased with it. Of course you'll drown if wearing it unconscious in the water. But it will keep you afloat otherwise and meets the requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

I've been pleased with it. Of course you'll drown if wearing it unconscious in the water. But it will keep you afloat otherwise and meets the requirements.
              Who said us outdoors folks is super smart? LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Who said us outdoors folks is super smart? LOL!
                ??????

Comment

I find the vests are in the way if they aren’t being worn. At least on the 14’ rowboat and the canoe. They usually end up on the floor getting filthy wet or tangled up with something. When it’s hot I’ll sit on mine but they make a lousy cushion as well. If we were on the water more often I’d just invest in the automatic inflatable style.
                  I'm that way also. If I have one then I'm wearing one. Mine is that bright yellow/green road workers wear so they can find my body and the wife won't wonder if I'm alive and hurt somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                    I'm that way also. If I have one then I'm wearing one. Mine is that bright yellow/green road workers wear so they can find my body and the wife won't wonder if I'm alive and hurt somewhere.
                    I went with a green PFD because I sometimes hunt from the canoe on the way into the swamp. My dry bag containing full change of winter clothes is yellow, but it's stowed below the gunwale when under way.

Comment

Short trip today around lunch time, we just ran down to the middle bridge from last week. Bass season opened today and the Kid caught one legal sized but wanted to release it. Worked out for the best as I caught three short ones and a huge creek chub so we wouldn’t have had enough for a fry. Maybe I’ve trained him too well, lol.

Comment

Short trip today around lunch time, we just ran down to the middle bridge from last week. Bass season opened today and the Kid caught one legal sized but wanted to release it. Worked out for the best as I caught three short ones and a huge creek chub so we wouldn’t have had enough for a fry. Maybe I’ve trained him too well, lol.
                        Oh, I think you've done.pretty well there mi amigo! LOL! 😎

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Burds
                          by Amflyer
                          Still day, overcast, family gone for a visit for the week. So , hopped in the kayak and did some slow paddlin' to get close to birds....wish I bought...
                          07-28-2021, 09:26 PM
                        • Cabela’s / Bass Pro promo
                          by fitch270
                          This came in the mail a few days ago, at first I wasn’t surprised by it as we haven’t purchased much of anything since the merger. We also canceled...
                          07-26-2021, 08:03 PM
                        • Top three. (3)
                          by FirstBubba
                          We all have our favorites.

First favorite!
                          What is your favorite species of fish to eat?
                          1. my favorite is Pacific cod. clean,...
                          07-25-2021, 09:36 PM
                        • Not a crappy crappie dinner
                          by fitch270
                          The plan was to have a fish fry while camping this weekend even if it meant stooping to smallish bluegills and perch. The goal was for the Kid and I to...
                          07-25-2021, 01:36 PM
                        • Right now
                          by fitch270
                          07-24-2021, 10:45 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X