Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should a Charter Boat Captain require that all fish caught during a paid charter be released? Should it depend on the species c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should a Charter Boat Captain require that all fish caught during a paid charter be released? Should it depend on the species c

Should a Charter Boat Captain require that all fish caught during a paid charter be released? Should it depend on the species caught? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks, Captain Ed www.letsgofishin.us

It's your boat, and this is just my opinion, but I'd say species should have something to do with it.
    Like marlin are'nt they tag/release? I've only been once and did'nt tag up so I'm not sure.

Comment

I wouldn't have a problem paying for a catch and release charter, but you may find that some people would prefer to keep whatever the law where you are allows. Maybe you could make your own length limits so if someone caught a real trophy they could have it mounted.

Comment

I definitely think customers should be allowed to keep, but I think sizes and species should be considered. I like Chris' idea of making your own size limits. That can help to regulate the waters just a little more. It also depends on whether you are talking about keeping them for meat or for trophy mounting. If they are just keeping a bunch for dinner, thats fine but YOU should probably regulate, just to make sure they are not keeping ones too small. If a fish is legal to take but is borderline for eating size, then let it go. Give it some time to grow. I don't have a problem with keeping fish for trophies but maybe you should limit it to 1 fish per species per person. They may catch 2 fine fish and want to mount both, but is that really necessary? Let the other one go to make more healthy babies. well, there's my 2 cents, hope it helped. good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the comments. On our charters, we encourage catch and release, especially when we get muskies. They have to be at least 48 inches long in the St Lawrence River to keep them. Fish that big are usually females, so we suggest releasing them to help keep the population as high as possible. However, if anyone wants to keep a trophy, and or a few smaller fish for lunch, more power to them. Capt Ed.

Comment

I sounds like you already have a good system in place. Just keep using your commone sense and you'll be fine.

Comment

Hey Ed, Your system sounds grat as it is. Most people have different views when paying for a charter i.e. some just enjoy the thrill of the fishing, some want to retain what they what they catch for the table and others are just trophy fishers. For the tropy fishers there are some taxidermists that can build a fish just from pictures and measurements. The mount is a lot lighter for the wall but looks just as nice. Unsure of the price but whatever and the larger fish should be released for spawning. Just my opinion..

Comment

You're there to drive the boat, find the fish, and bait hooks.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                  by fitch270
                  Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                  Yesterday, 05:55 PM
                • Grips and stocks
                  by dewman
                  so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                  Yesterday, 08:55 AM
                • Youth pheasant hike
                  by fitch270
                  Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                  09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                  by fitch270
                  Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                  09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                • Unusual Sound
                  by jhjimbo
                  At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                  09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X